How to use CUDA-FFT with Octave

Prasad K
Hi all,

I am using Ubuntu 16.04, Octave 4.2.1 and Nvidia GeForce GT710 GPU.
I have a code with simple for loop that calls FFT routine 1024 times. All i
wanted to do is to make my GPU run the FFT routine. I saw a lot of queries
about CUDA-FFT but no one updated the proper procedure.

So my question is, is there anyway that i can use CUDA-FFT library with
Octave? with the ./configure step or something? Please help.

Thank you,
Prasad.

Re: How to use CUDA-FFT with Octave

tmacchant
--- prasad.sig

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 16.04, Octave 4.2.1 and Nvidia GeForce GT710 GPU.
> I have a code with simple for loop that calls FFT routine 1024 times. All i
> wanted to do is to make my GPU run the FFT routine. I saw a lot of queries
> about CUDA-FFT but no one updated the proper procedure.
>
> So my question is, is there anyway that i can use CUDA-FFT library with
> Octave? with the ./configure step or something? Please help.
>
> Thank you,
> Prasad.

Octave does not have interface to cuda.
If you want use cuda, you may have to write rapper C++ code by yourself.

Perhaps, GPL issues exist.

Tatsuro

Re: How to use CUDA-FFT with Octave

Richard Crozier

On 20/03/18 11:02, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> --- prasad.sig
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 16.04, Octave 4.2.1 and Nvidia GeForce GT710 GPU.
>> I have a code with simple for loop that calls FFT routine 1024 times. All i
>> wanted to do is to make my GPU run the FFT routine. I saw a lot of queries
>> about CUDA-FFT but no one updated the proper procedure.
>>
>> So my question is, is there anyway that i can use CUDA-FFT library with
>> Octave? with the ./configure step or something? Please help.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Prasad.
>>
> Octave does not have interface to cuda.
> If you want use cuda, you may have to write rapper C++ code by yourself.
>
> Perhaps, GPL issues exist.
>
> Tatsuro

You might find this interesting.

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/drop-in-acceleration-gnu-octave/

Regards,

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: How to use CUDA-FFT with Octave

Prasad K
Hi Richard,

I saw the link already that is only for BLAS not for FFT.

On 20/03/18 11:12, Prasad K wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I saw the link already that is only for BLAS not for FFT.
>
> Thank you,
> Prasad

You don't suspect that the octave fft algorithm will ultimately use BLAS
internally?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: How to use CUDA-FFT with Octave

Prasad K
Maybe you are right.
But why do they give separate library for FFT?

Re: How to use CUDA-FFT with Octave

jbect
Le 20/03/2018 à 12:17, Richard Crozier a écrit :

> On 20/03/18 11:12, Prasad K wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> I saw the link already that is only for BLAS not for FFT.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Prasad
>>

> You don't suspect that the octave fft algorithm will ultimately use
> BLAS internally?

Are you sure about that ?  I thought it was using FFTW...

On 20/03/18 11:31, Julien Bect wrote:

> Le 20/03/2018 à 12:17, Richard Crozier a écrit :
>> On 20/03/18 11:12, Prasad K wrote:
>>> Hi Richard,
>>>
>>> I saw the link already that is only for BLAS not for FFT.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Prasad
>>>

>> You don't suspect that the octave fft algorithm will ultimately use
>> BLAS internally?
>
> Are you sure about that ?  I thought it was using FFTW...

No, I could be wrong!

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: How to use CUDA-FFT with Octave

Fredrik Lingvall-3
On 03/20/2018 12:31 PM, Julien Bect wrote:

> Le 20/03/2018 à 12:17, Richard Crozier a écrit :
>> On 20/03/18 11:12, Prasad K wrote:
>>> Hi Richard,
>>>
>>> I saw the link already that is only for BLAS not for FFT.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Prasad
>>>

>> You don't suspect that the octave fft algorithm will ultimately use
>> BLAS internally?
>
> Are you sure about that ?  I thought it was using FFTW...

BLAS is for linear algebra matrix operations.

To avoid writing CUDA/OpenCL checkout the ArrayFire lib. It's easy to
switch between CPU/CUDA/OpenCL implementations. Info for FFTs:

http://arrayfire.org/docs/group__signal__func__fft.htm

Just write a wrapper oct-file that calls the ArrayFire functions.

Regards,

/Fredrik