I cant use wavread with octave 4.0 under ubuntu

I cant use wavread with octave 4.0 under ubuntu

JulesVerne
error: sndfile not found on your system and thus audioinfo is not functional
error: called from
    wavread at line 91 column 8

same error even when soundfile exist or not.

Line 91:

info = audioinfo ("/tmp/oct-jiDD4q.wav");
error: sndfile not found on your system and thus audioinfo is not functional

Maybe a problem with portaudio, but i dont really know what port audio is and
how to use it right.

audiodevinfo
error: portaudio not found on your system and thus audio functionality is not
present

would be really nice if someone can help me, i am not a linux expert, only an user.

Re: I cant use wavread with octave 4.0 under ubuntu

tmacchant
--- d.loewenstein

> error: sndfile not found on your system and thus audioinfo is not functional
> error: called from
>     wavread at line 91 column 8
>
> same error even when soundfile exist or not.
>
> Line 91:
>
> info = audioinfo ("/tmp/oct-jiDD4q.wav");
> error: sndfile not found on your system and thus audioinfo is not functional
>
> Maybe a problem with portaudio, but i dont really know what port audio is
> and
> how to use it right.
>
> audiodevinfo
> error: portaudio not found on your system and thus audio functionality is
> not
> present
>

> would be really nice if someone can help me, i am not a linux expert, only
> an user.

You are using octave-4.0.0 on ubuntu so I suppose that you have built octave from source. If my suppose is right, please try to build again after:
 sudo apt-get install  libportaudio-dev

Tatsuro

Re: I cant use wavread with octave 4.0 under ubuntu

JulesVerne
This post was updated on .
Libportaudio-dev is installed, but it looks like its Not working korrect.

configure:17161: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "sndfile"
Package sndfile was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `sndfile.pc'
No package 'sndfile' found
configure:17164: $? = 1
configure:17255: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "portaudio-2.0 >= 19"
configure:17258: $? = 0
configure:17300: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$magick++"
configure:17303: $? = 0

Re: I cant use wavread with octave 4.0 under ubuntu

tmacchant
configure:17161: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "sndfile"
Package sndfile was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `sndfile.pc'
No package 'sndfile' found
configure:17164: $? = 1
configure:17255: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "portaudio-2.0 >= 19"
configure:17258: $? = 0
configure:17300: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$magick++"
configure:17303: $? = 0
Perhaps messages point your problem.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `sndfile.pc'

What the below tells

$ locate sndfile.pc
$ echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Please copy output and send it here.

Tatsuro

Re: I cant use wavread with octave 4.0 under ubuntu

JulesVerne
locate sndfile.pc
/home/slomo/libsndfile-1.0.25/sndfile.pc
/home/slomo/libsndfile-1.0.25/sndfile.pc.in
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/sndfile.pc

echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
gave me no output

Re: I cant use wavread with octave 4.0 under ubuntu

tmacchant
> /home/slomo/libsndfile-1.0.25/sndfile.pc
> /home/slomo/libsndfile-1.0.25/sndfile.pc.in
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/sndfile.pc
>
> echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> gave me no output

OK.
At configure

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig ./configure

(Please modify according to your basic configuration.)

perhaps will change the situation.

Tatsuro

Re: I cant use wavread with octave 4.0 under ubuntu

JulesVerne
This post was updated on .
configure:17161: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "sndfile"
configure:17164: $? = 0
configure:17171: checking whether sndfile library is modern enough
configure:17199: gcc -c -g -O2 -pthread -fopenmp  conftest.c >&5
configure:17199: $? = 0
configure:17207: result: yes
configure:17255: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "portaudio-2.0 >= 19"
configure:17258: $? = 0

maybe now it works, ill do make and install and check it
thx for help, if it works, or not i tell you when make is ready.

EDIT:
That worked, now i can use my soundcard thx for your help.