I don't find the history of past days

Michel
Hello,

Octave 4.4.0 runs under Win7.
I do:
>> history_file
ans = C:/Users/michel/Documents/My Documents/Matlab
Matlab is a directory not a file....

I do:
>>history -w ./.local_octave_hist
Octave creates .local_octave_hist.dll  LOCAL_OCTAVE_HIST file
(.local_octave_hist)

I do:
>>edit ./.local_octave_hist
A txt file is opened with the recent history only. By recent, I mean "daily"
not for the last days.

I do:
history -w HistoryOcatve2018.m
A m file is created with the recent history only. It can be opened with GUI
Octave.

I do:
>> history_size
ans =  1000
Where this history is saved?

Regards,

Michel

Re: I don't find the history of past days

Przemek Klosowski-7
On 10/17/2018 06:48 AM, Michel wrote:
>>> history -w ./.local_octave_hist
> Octave creates .local_octave_hist.dll  LOCAL_OCTAVE_HIST file
No .dll ending, right? It's just .local_octave_hist ?

One possible source of confusion is that when you do 'history -w' it
writes the entire history and closes the file.  On the other hand, the
default history file  ~/.octave_hist  is kept open and current session's
commands are buffered in memory but aren't necessarily flushed to disk
until you quit Octave. I don't know if there's a way to force writing
this buffer without quitting Octave.