Impuls response toolbox

Jan Vandendriessche

Dear SIr,

You have very interesting software at “octave”.

I don’t have big knowledge about IR, so maybe you can point me in the good direction with my small question.

Can I measure an IR from a speaker with a small accelerometer on the cone (I have already done that). I want to measure the same speaker with a microphone. I want to have to have a new IR from the difference between the microphone IR and the accelerometer IR. So I can use the accelerometer to sound like the microphone captured signal.

Is this possible with one or more of the toolbox? And what we’ll be the steps?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jan

Jan Vandendriessche

Erkend deskundige: Dr. ir. Filip J.R. Verbandt

EVA-International B.V.B.A.

Steenkaai 32

B-8000 Brugge

tel. 00-32-(0)50-31.44.30

fax. 00-32-(0)50-31.22.90

gsm. +32-(0)477-75.21.47

[hidden email]

www.eva-international.com

Re: Impuls response toolbox

Sergei Steshenko

On Thursday, November 22, 2018, 3:41:49 PM GMT+2, Jan Vandendriessche <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

First a dumb, but nominally correct answer to your "I want to have to have a new IR from the difference between the microphone IR and the accelerometer IR" question:

IR_difference = IR_accelerometer - IR_microphone;

where all three IRs are vectors of the same length and of the same organization, i.e. either column or row.

Now, regarding "So I can use the accelerometer to sound like the microphone captured signal" part suggests you want (rather, need) complex frequency responses and their ratio. For that start learning 'fft', 'ifft': https://octave.org/doc/v4.0.0/Signal-Processing.html .

The most difficult part which you do not address (and thus probably do not realize) is room acoustics. I.e. the accelerometer is mostly affected by the speaker cone movement while the microphone measure sound pressure produce by the speaker and by reflections from the walls, floor, ceiling and at all all objects present in the room.

--Sergei.

Re: Impuls response toolbox

Doug Stewart-4

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 8:41 AM Jan Vandendriessche <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear SIr,

You have very interesting software at “octave”.

I don’t have big knowledge about IR, so maybe you can point me in the good direction with my small question.

Can I measure an IR from a speaker with a small accelerometer on the cone (I have already done that). I want to measure the same speaker with a microphone. I want to have to have a new IR from the difference between the microphone IR and the accelerometer IR. So I can use the accelerometer to sound like the microphone captured signal.

Is this possible with one or more of the toolbox? And what we’ll be the steps?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan:
 I think that you would have to create a Laplace equation from each impulse response
and the find an equation to convert the cone one into the microphone response.
This conversion equation would then be the filter equation to make the cone accelerometer results sound like the microphone results.
Is this what you are asking?

--
DASCertificate for 206392