Quantcast

Installing Octave

wdflannery
I would like to install Octave on my PC.... however, I don't want to compile, link, load or perform any other system type operations, I just want to install it with InstallShield or something similar.

From the website I'm getting the idea that Octave must be complied, lilnked, etc., you know, stuff people did 20 years ago to get a program up......

I had high hopes for Octave, and I think that a free version of Matlab, or something similar, should be available to every math/physics/engineering student, even in high school (they now use graphing calculators....a true pain in the booty)....

So, all you would need to do is make Octave user friendly, like every other piece of software available on the web.....

BUt noooo.......

I'm giving up on Octave I think........ I wanted to use it in conjunction with a calculus book I'm writing.......that is, I wanted readers of the book to have something like Matlab available... but they will not be computer jocks ... (I am a computer jock, BTW, Honeywell, Hughes, Lockeed, etc., but I am flummoxed trying to get Octave up)......

Or, am I missing something ??????

Sorry for the harangue, especially if I am mistaken.....if I'm not mistaken, let is serve as a wakeup call ?

WDF

Re: Installing Octave

Brian Blais
[hidden email] wrote:
> I would like to install Octave on my PC.... however, I don't want to
> compile, link, load or perform any other system type operations, I just
> want to install it with InstallShield or something similar.

If you go to the octave website, for windows binaries installs, it will
point you to:

http://home.tiscalinet.ch/paulsoderlind/Software/Software.html

(scroll down to "The Easy Way").

It will then point you to

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave

where there are some windows binaries.  although not InstallShield, it
is as simple as that.  unfortunately, it is a version that it a bit
dated (2.1.50).  There are some volunteers who are working on a more
recent binaries windows install, from what I hear, but I don't know the
estimate for it.

>  From the website I'm getting the idea that Octave must be complied,
> lilnked, etc., you know, stuff people did 20 years ago to get a program
> up......

Sorry to disappoint you, but people still do compiling to get programs
up today.  It is not uncommon (on Linux) to recompile software, for
example, to install security updates.  Now, in Windows, one doesn't do
that, but there really aren't any security problems in Windows.  ;)

> I had high hopes for Octave, and I think that a free version of Matlab,
> or something similar, should be available to every
> math/physics/engineering student, even in high school (they now use
> graphing calculators....a true pain in the booty)....

I use it with my students, who don't have a lot of experience.  What I
do for them is to compile a recent version, then bundle the whole thing
up in a .zip file.  I include a file with registry keys, so all they
have to do is unzip the file, double-click on the registry keys file,
and then it all works.  You have to manually add the shortcuts, however,
but there is no compiling for them.

hope this helps,

                                bb
--
-----------------

             [hidden email]
             http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais

Re: Installing Octave

David Bateman-3
[hidden email] wrote:

> Sorry for the harangue, especially if I am mistaken.....if I'm not
> mistaken, let is serve as a wakeup call ?

Yes you're missing something

www.cygwin.com -> setup.exe -> select package octave / octave-forge ....

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

Re: Installing Octave

A. Scottedward Hodel-3
See my class weblog:
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/hodelas/classes/C294999662/E1699166854/
index.html
for instructions on installing Octave without compiliing like we did 20
years ago.

I also have a (brief) tutorial on Octave in my class notes on that web
log (notes for courses ELEC 2020 and ELEC 2120) that you may wish to
look at.

There are others with similar resources on their web page, perhaps even
  better than mine.

Regards,

Scotte Hodel

"I can't see, I can't see!"
"What's the problem?"
"I've got my eyes closed!"
        --- Godspell, Steven Schwartz

On Aug 10, 2005, at 1:33 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I would like to install Octave on my PC.... however, I don't want to
> compile, link, load or perform any other system type operations, I
> just want to install it with InstallShield or something similar.
> 
> From the website I'm getting the idea that Octave must be complied,
> lilnked, etc., you know, stuff people did 20 years ago to get a
> program up......
> 
> I had high hopes for Octave, and I think that a free version of
> Matlab, or something similar, should be available to every
> math/physics/engineering student, even in high school (they now use
> graphing calculators....a true pain in the booty)....
> 
> So, all you would need to do is make Octave user friendly, like every
> other piece of software available on the web.....
> 
> BUt noooo.......
> 
> I'm giving up on Octave I think........ I wanted to use it in
> conjunction with a calculus book I'm writing.......that is, I wanted
> readers of the book to have something like Matlab available... but
> they will not be computer jocks ... (I am a computer jock, BTW,
> Honeywell, Hughes, Lockeed, etc., but I am flummoxed trying to get
> Octave up)......
> 
> 
> Or, am I missing something ??????
> 
> Sorry for the harangue, especially if I am mistaken.....if I'm not
> mistaken, let is serve as a wakeup call ?
> 
> WDF

Re: Installing Octave

Mike Miller-20
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, David Bateman wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the harangue, especially if I am mistaken.....if I'm not
>> mistaken, let is serve as a wakeup call ?
>
> Yes you're missing something
>
> www.cygwin.com -> setup.exe -> select package octave / octave-forge ....

But let's note that it is not easy for people to get Octave running on
their PCs.  I think we have noted this before, but it remains probably the
biggest obstacle to wider use of Octave.

Mike

Re: Installing Octave

David Bateman-3
Mike Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, David Bateman wrote:
>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for the harangue, especially if I am mistaken.....if I'm not
>>> mistaken, let is serve as a wakeup call ?
>>

>> Yes you're missing something
>>
>> www.cygwin.com -> setup.exe -> select package octave / octave-forge ....
>

> But let's note that it is not easy for people to get Octave running on
> their PCs.  I think we have noted this before, but it remains probably
> the biggest obstacle to wider use of Octave.
>
> Mike

Which is why I've been messing around with a MinGW build of octave for
the last few weeks, so that the cygwin speed issues might be addressed
with a Windows native version of octave. Then packaging it should be a
much easier problem (Albiet someone else's as I have no interest in
octave on Windows perse)....

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

Re: Installing Octave

Quentin Spencer
Mike Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, David Bateman wrote:
>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for the harangue, especially if I am mistaken.....if I'm not
>>> mistaken, let is serve as a wakeup call ?
>>

>> Yes you're missing something
>>
>> www.cygwin.com -> setup.exe -> select package octave / octave-forge ....
>

> But let's note that it is not easy for people to get Octave running on
> their PCs.  I think we have noted this before, but it remains probably
> the biggest obstacle to wider use of Octave.

I agree, and I think that's well understood by the octave community.
While the Octave on windows situation isn't as simple as what Windows
users are used to, it's dramatically improved from where it was 5 years
ago when I first tried Octave. Frankly, the real problem for Octave on
Windows is a lack of willing volunteers. People need to realize that
Octave is largely a volunteer effort. We need the "computer jocks" who
want a simpler install to step up and volunteer their skills. Some have
done so recently, and thanks to them there is now a fairly
straightforward installation using cygwin, as David has pointed out. If
you want to take it a step further and make a one-click install, I'm
sure many users will appreciate your efforts.

-Quentin

Re: Installing Octave

Stéfan van der Walt
On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:23:58PM +0200, David Bateman wrote:
> Which is why I've been messing around with a MinGW build of octave for
> the last few weeks, so that the cygwin speed issues might be addressed
> with a Windows native version of octave. Then packaging it should be

Any luck so far?

Stefan

Re: Installing Octave

David Bateman-3
Stefan van der Walt wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:23:58PM +0200, David Bateman wrote:
>

>>Which is why I've been messing around with a MinGW build of octave for
>>the last few weeks, so that the cygwin speed issues might be addressed
>>with a Windows native version of octave. Then packaging it should be
>>

>Any luck so far?
>
>Stefan

I've gotten most things running, including the loadbale modules, and
messed up paths previously reported, and I've fixed up the install
scripts. Major problems still include the ctrl-c handling (though that
is partially fixed), the readline stuff (though I've build a buggy
readline 5.0 under mingw), and problem I've having with the permissions
of _popen under W32  (which is notable preventing texinfo help from
being displayed).. There is also a problem of recognizing that an rxvt
is interactive that is probably related to the readline issues, though
that can be worked around by using cmd.exe instead..

Once those are fixed it will be time to show what I have to a larger
audience... Lack of time, including a personal absence of more then 2
weeks for vacations has made progress slow though, so don't hold your
breath.

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

RE: Installing Octave

Frank Palazzolo

David,

I did a mingw build back in January, and as I recall I had two types of
problems.  One was the readline problems you already cited.  The other was
that there were a few calls to fork(), which of course don't exist in mingw.

A few of the fork() calls were internal, in liboctave\mkdir.c, rename.c, and
rmdir.c, which I didn't quite understand.  Then there was the fact that
octave can be multithreaded through the use of fork.  This would either need
to be disabled to get a "single-threaded octave", or mapped to the native
windows multithreading calls.

Here is my old message, which isn't very informative...
http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg00090.html

Sounds like you've gotten further than I did...good luck!

-Frank

Frank Palazzolo wrote:

>David,
>
>I did a mingw build back in January, and as I recall I had two types of
>problems.  One was the readline problems you already cited.  The other was
>that there were a few calls to fork(), which of course don't exist in mingw.
>

>A few of the fork() calls were internal, in liboctave\mkdir.c, rename.c, and
>rmdir.c, which I didn't quite understand.  Then there was the fact that
>octave can be multithreaded through the use of fork.  This would either need
>to be disabled to get a "single-threaded octave", or mapped to the native
>windows multithreading calls.
>
>Here is my old message, which isn't very informative...
>http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg00090.html
>
>Sounds like you've gotten further than I did...good luck!
>
>-Frank

Ahh, I missed the fork calls in rmdir.c, etc. I'd only looked at those
in *.cc files which didn't seem important. I'm not sure I see why rmdir,
mkdir and rename need a fork, since all the parent process does is hang
around waiting for the child to finish. The only reason I can see for
the fork, is that the child is free to mess with the umask, etc without
fixing up the mess afterwards, which with careful bookkeeping we could
fix up anyway. Furthermore these three files aren't even used for me as
the libc with the latest mingw has mkdir, rmdir and rename. So I never
even ran across this issue..

The Ffork function in octave will of course be missing, but the cost of
getting it work would be to take fork.cc from the cygwin sources, which
is quite large... So I propose to do nothing for the fork issues...

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

Re: Installing Octave

Henry F. Mollet
Other replies have pointed to an Octave binary that is easily installed on a
PC. I have a PC with Win95 which I rarely use but it has Octave 2.1.36
installed under i686-pc-cygwin and gnuplot even has a decent graphical
interface with menus. I installed it ages ago and all I had to do was
double-click on an .exe file.

I'm using a Mac for most of my work and it's a rather different story. I
guess that I like to suffer.
Henry

on 8/9/05 11:33 PM, [hidden email] at [hidden email] wrote:

> I would like to install Octave on my PC.... however, I don't want to
> compile, link, load or perform any other system type operations, I just want
> install it with InstallShield or something similar.
>
>> From the website I'm getting the idea that Octave must be complied,  lilnked,
> etc., you know, stuff people did 20 years ago to get a program  up......
>
> I had high hopes for Octave, and I think that a free version of Matlab, or
> something similar, should be available to every math/physics/engineering
> student, even in high school (they now use graphing calculators....a true pain
> in
> the booty)....
>
> So, all you would need to do is make Octave user friendly, like every other
> piece of software available on the web.....
>
> BUt noooo.......
>
> I'm giving up on Octave I think........ I wanted to use it in conjunction
> with a calculus book I'm writing.......that is, I wanted readers of the book
> have something like Matlab available... but they will not be computer jocks
> ...  (I am a computer jock, BTW, Honeywell, Hughes, Lockeed, etc., but I am
> flummoxed  trying to get Octave up)......
>

> Or, am I missing something ??????
>
> Sorry for the harangue, especially if I am mistaken.....if I'm not  mistaken,
> let is serve as a wakeup call ?
>
> WDF

RE: Installing Octave

Paul Billings
Additionally, the version from the cygwin install is the most recent
(non-developmental) version 2.1.71.

At Paul Soderlind's site
(http://home.tiscalinet.ch/paulsoderlind/Software/Software.html) toward the
bottom is a section "Running Octave In Windows", which mentions dressing up
the interface, which I highly recommend. (Thanks Paul!)  Instead of the
default ugly, black cygwin window, use rxvt for better features.  I use this
for the cygwin command prompt (i.e., bash shell) and just type 'octave', but
the site indicates how to run octave directly.  You might want some
additional switches to rxvt (use 'man rxvt' to find out what they do).  I
have a shortcut with the target:
C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -si -sw -sk -sr -sl 2048 -e bash --login -i

Paul Billings

Robert A. Macy
I've been running the binary 2.1.50 on windows for years,
and of course it is way out of date, but every quirk is
known, even know when it will hang the system.

One system with Windows XP has no internet access.  The
system with Windows 98 has internet access, but I'm very
nervous about mucking up what is working so well.

To install the new version of octave, may I leave the old
binary version installed?  And run the one I choose?  That
way I won't be dead in the water if the script, or
something, doesn't work quite right.  And  be free to
explore the advantages of the "new" version of octave?

I'm in the middle of a project and don't have time to play
with the tools, just use them.

                  - Robert -