Installing Octave

Monica
Hi,

I am really new in octave. I am trying to install octave in this system: Linux version 2.6.27.45-0.1-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux) ).
I try different things but it didn't work.
How can I install octave in this system using the command line?
Thanks for your time.
Best Regards, Monica

Re: Installing Octave

Monica
I have to install without a internet connection.
I hope that someone could help me.
Monica

No dia 4 de Setembro de 2011 17:19, Ana Mónica Lourenço <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi,

I am really new in octave. I am trying to install octave in this system: Linux version 2.6.27.45-0.1-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux) ).
I try different things but it didn't work.
How can I install octave in this system using the command line?
Thanks for your time.
Best Regards, Monica

Re: Installing Octave

martin_helm
On Sonntag, 4. September 2011 23:19:37 Ana Mónica Lourenço wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am really new in octave. I am trying to install octave in this system:
> Linux version 2.6.27.45-0.1-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.3.2
> [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux) ).
> I try different things but it didn't work.
> How can I install octave in this system using the command line?
> Thanks for your time.
> Best Regards, Monica
Can you give some more information? This looks to me like a SUSE Linux
Enterprise version, to see exactly which one please type the command

cat /etc/SuSE-release

and post the output here.
For SUSE (Enterprise Server/Enterprise Desktop) 11 there is a rpm available
from the science repository
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/SLE_11
you can add it with the zypper command

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/SLE_11 science
zypper ref
zypper in octave octave-devel

but please don't do that before you are sure you have a SLE 11 version.
Also if you have SLE 11 with service pack 1 you will need a different
repository, so it is essential that you check with the first command what you
have.
If I misunderstood your question  and you don't want to install a prebuilt rpm
for octave but compile it from source report back.

Re: Installing Octave

Sergei Steshenko

>________________________________

You know, 'octave' as any other program consists of bytes
which have to be taken from somewhere. I.e. either from
some kind of media or downloaded.

So, if you do not have an internet connection and
don't have it on some kind of media, what are your
ideas about the source of those bytes to be installed ?

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Installing Octave

martin_helm
On Sonntag, 4. September 2011 23:42:46 Ana Mónica Lourenço wrote:

> I have to install without a internet connection.
> I hope that someone could help me.
> Monica
>
> No dia 4 de Setembro de 2011 17:19, Ana Mónica Lourenço <
>
> [hidden email]> escreveu:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am really new in octave. I am trying to install octave in this system:
> > Linux version 2.6.27.45-0.1-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.3.2
> > [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux) ).
> > I try different things but it didn't work.
> > How can I install octave in this system using the command line?
> > Thanks for your time.
> > Best Regards, Monica
You will need of course some internet access on some machine to download the
rpms you need, octave has a lot of dependencies. Without knowing which
packages are already installed on your machine it is difficult to say which you
have to download.

If you have a fast internet access somewhere you can download the whole
science repository and burn it to a DVD which you can then use on your machine
which has no internet access.
You can simply use the rpm command for that then.

Re: Installing Octave

Monica
Hi,
Thanks for your e-mails. I am really new in this things and i need your help. I am a little bit confused.

I just have access to the computer by the command line using the command ssh.
The version of the computer is:
openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11.1

I can download the packages and then I can copy the files to the computer using the command line.
Where can I download the packages and what are the commands that i have to use to install them?

I really appreciate your help
Monica

On Montag, 5. September 2011 00:16:55 Ana Mónica Lourenço wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your e-mails. I am really new in this things and i need your
> help. I am a little bit confused.
>
> I just have access to the computer by the command line using the command
> ssh.
> The version of the computer is:
> openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)
> VERSION = 11.1
>
> I can download the packages and then I can copy the files to the computer
> using the command line.
> Where can I download the packages and what are the commands that i have to
> use to install them?
>
> I really appreciate your help
> Monica

This will become a bit difficult now. The version you have is no enterprise
version but the community version where only 11.3 and 11.4 are currently
supported. 11.1 (which you have) is end of life since 2010 and most of the
repositories are deleted. So you may have a hard time to find any place where
you can download the software for it.

Re: Installing Octave

Sergei Steshenko

>________________________________

You are asking wrongish questions.

In SUSE, and not only in SUSEm you typically do not want to deal
with dependencies manually, you'd rather want package the package
manager to deal with the issue.

Through GUI you invoke the package manager through 'yast2' coomand.

You need to add repositories.

You apparently need the scientific repository.

Here is one:

http://anorien.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/opensuse/science/SLE_11/
.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Installing Octave

martin_helm
On Montag, 5. September 2011 00:41:25 Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> >________________________________

This repository will not work it is for the enterprise version and not
compatible with openSUSE 11.1 (which is anyway end of life and the science
repository for it does not longer exist).

Re: Installing Octave

Sergei Steshenko

>> Thanks for your e-mails. I am really new in this things and i need your
> help. I am a little bit confused.
>>
>> I just have access to the computer by the command line using the command
> ssh.
>> The version of the computer is:
>> openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)
>> VERSION = 11.1
>>
>> I can download the packages and then I can copy the files to the computer
> using the command line.
>> Where can I download the packages and what are the commands that i have to
> use to install them?
>>
>> I really appreciate your help
>> Monica
>>

> You are asking wrongish questions.
>
> In SUSE, and not only in SUSEm you typically do not want to deal
> with dependencies manually, you'd rather want package the package
> manager to deal with the issue.
>
> Through GUI you invoke the package manager through 'yast2' coomand.
>
> You need to add repositories.
>
> You apparently need the scientific repository.
>
> Here is one:
>
> http://anorien.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/opensuse/science/SLE_11/
> .
>
> Regards,
>   Sergei.

If you insist on not using GUI, then read

man zypper
.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Installing Octave

Sergei Steshenko

> This repository will not work it is for the enterprise version and not
> compatible with openSUSE 11.1 (which is anyway end of life and the science
> repository for it does not longer exist).

Though I haven't tested 'octave' specifically since I
build it myself , other things seem to work.

The enterprise version is based on SUSE-11.1.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Installing Octave

Monica
Thanks for all your help.
Best Regards, Monica

No dia 4 de Setembro de 2011 18:56, Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> This repository will not work it is for the enterprise version and not
> compatible with openSUSE 11.1 (which is anyway end of life and the science
> repository for it does not longer exist).

Though I haven't tested 'octave' specifically since I
build it myself , other things seem to work.

The enterprise version is based on SUSE-11.1.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Installing Octave

Sergei Steshenko

> This repository will not work it is for the enterprise version and not
> compatible with openSUSE 11.1 (which is anyway end of life and the science
> repository for it does not longer exist).

Have just upgraded Firefox, using SLE_11, which happens to be of version 6.0.

Appears to work quite well, I'm writing this Email from it.

Regards,
  Sergei.