Quantcast

Integrating Pytave and Nnet

enricoberto

Hi all,

in recent weeks I have been working on the package nnet, analyzing different ways to integrate Tensorflow in order to develop the deep learning part in a more powerful manner. The most effective way seems to be using Pytave for direct calling python functions and scripts. There should be no big problems for objects mapping since neural networks treat mostly low dimensional arrays. This week I will test some cases with 4D arrays and basic networks.

Only two questions:
I heard that the package would have to be integrated into the core removing the dependence from boost, is it still the case?
I saw that there is no documentation for the integration of python in octave (but only for the other "direction"). I suppose that there is some work in progress, is it possible to have some information on what will be implemented?

In any case thank you to the maintainers, I find the package quite useful! I'll be glad to report bugs or help to fix if needed

Best Regards,
Enrico Bertino

Re: Integrating Pytave and Nnet

Abhinav Tripathi

On Mar 21, 2017 3:48 AM, "Enrico Bertino" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in recent weeks I have been working on the package nnet, analyzing different ways to integrate Tensorflow in order to develop the deep learning part in a more powerful manner. The most effective way seems to be using Pytave for direct calling python functions and scripts. There should be no big problems for objects mapping since neural networks treat mostly low dimensional arrays. This week I will test some cases with 4D arrays and basic networks.
>
> Only two questions:
> I heard that the package would have to be integrated into the core removing the dependence from boost, is it still the case?

Yes. It is planned to remove the boost dependency and also to integrate into core.

> I saw that there is no documentation for the integration of python in octave (but only for the other "direction"). I suppose that there is some work in progress, is it possible to have some information on what will be implemented?

Well, there isn't enough documentation but I think that calling octave from python is not tested for some time now. While you can easily call python from octave using 'pycall' or 'pyeval'. New syntaxes using 'py.*' are also supported. Just download the pytave source, build it, add it in octave's path and those functions will be available. You can see the tests in the source code to get to know how to use the functions.

> In any case thank you to the maintainers, I find the package quite useful! I'll be glad to report bugs or help to fix if needed

That would be great!

> Best Regards,
> Enrico Bertino

Regards,
Abhinav

Re: Integrating Pytave and Nnet

Colin Macdonald-2
On 20/03/17 11:00 PM, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
> I think that calling octave from python is not tested for some time now.

Indeed and I think the plan is to drop code for calling Octave from Python:

https://bitbucket.org/mtmiller/pytave/issues/74/migrate-away-from-remaining-pytave-legacy

Help with this definitely wanted: would be a good component of any
Pytave-related GSoC proposals or as pre-GSoC work.

Colin