Interested in making the GUI a bit nicer; where do I start?

Interested in making the GUI a bit nicer; where do I start?

Chris Esposito
Hi guys.
To cut a long story short, I'm interested in improving the GUI of Octave - specifically the plotting - but there are a lot of files in the source tarball and I am not sure where to start.

I've done some (Qt-based) GUI work in the past, including plots, but never contributed publicly to an open-source project and have no idea what bits I'd need to edit to change the plotter.

Is there anyone who'd be able to point me in the right direction - either to the relevant files or to a document explaining things?

Would love to give something back!

Cheers
~Chris

Re: Interested in making the GUI a bit nicer; where do I start?

Rik-4
On 03/15/2017 12:47 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Interested in making the GUI a bit nicer; where do I start?
From:
Chris Esposito [hidden email]
Date:
03/14/2017 06:50 PM
To:
"octave-maintainers" [hidden email]
Message:
6

Hi guys.
To cut a long story short, I'm interested in improving the GUI of Octave - specifically the plotting - but there are a lot of files in the source tarball and I am not sure where to start.

I've done some (Qt-based) GUI work in the past, including plots, but never contributed publicly to an open-source project and have no idea what bits I'd need to edit to change the plotter.

Is there anyone who'd be able to point me in the right direction - either to the relevant files or to a document explaining things?

Which part would you like to work on?  The actual plotting and rendering is done by OpenGL.  That is a very different piece of the code then the Qt window with menubar and toolbar that has an embedded Canvas object to show the results of the OpenGL rendering.  If you have an idea for a first project maybe you could share that and we can determine from that where in the code base you should look.

Cheers,
Rik

Re: Interested in making the GUI a bit nicer; where do I start?

Sebastian Schöps
Chris Esposito wrote
Hi guys.

To cut a long story short, I'm interested in improving the GUI of Octave - specifically the plotting - but there are a lot of files in the source tarball and I am not sure where to start.

I've done some (Qt-based) GUI work in the past, including plots, but never contributed publicly to an open-source project and have no idea what bits I'd need to edit to change the plotter.

Is there anyone who'd be able to point me in the right direction - either to the relevant files or to a document explaining things?

Would love to give something back!
Dear Chris,

I cannot help you with documentation but I can point you to relevant problems :)  if you happen to have a high-resolution display or a Mac, then there are several nasty qt5 bugs to be fixed. Sadly I have too limited qt experience to do it but I will gladly help you with debugging.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50025
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49053

There is already a preliminary patch for #50025, this should tell you where to look.

Kind regards
Sebastian