Quantcast

Internship opportunity

Foton

Hi there. I manage the algorithms team at Synaptics and have funding to hire a summer intern to hack on Octave. Basically, we have an automated test suite built in Matlab and I'd like to put it on a compute cluster without dramatically increasing our licensing costs. I'd love to use Octave, but we'd need a more complete classdef implementation. Would anyone here be interested in such an internship?

https://career8.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=15405&company=synaptics

Here are some questions I have answered so far.

* Funding: This is for a student or fresh grad (BS, MS, or PhD) and nominally runs ten weeks, but in the past, this has been easy to extend into the fall. I believe that the pay is comparable to other big companies, and it scales with education level.

* Features: The only one I explicitly know about is that we define local functions in classdef files [1], and jwe tells me this has even been fixed on master. I expect that this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I'm willing to throw in a summer's worth of time and money to find out. The code we're trying to run is GUI-less, but uses many classes and subclasses, and uses mex to run the actual code of interest.

* Open/closed source: Our codebase (touch-sensing algorithm library) is closed-source, but of course the Octave development would all go back upstream. If the intern gets our framework up and running in Octave before the end of the summer, they'd be free to choose between more Octave dev or to work on our touch algorithms. The corporate culture is strongly in the closed-source camp, but I'm trying to establish an example of how contributing to the open-source ecosystem demonstrably helps our bottom line.

If you're interested, please submit a resume via the job ad, though I'm happy to answer further questions here.

Take care,

Nick

Re: Internship opportunity

NVS Abhilash
Hey Nick,

The project work you are suggesting, some part of that was suppose to be my summer work. So, I suppose I want to be part of the internship. Thanks to Colin for making me aware of the internship opportunity.

This was my public project application for GSoC: http://wiki.octave.org/User:Nvs-abhilash

But I have a doubt, is the internship online (work from home) or offline?

Thanks,
NVS
NVS Abhilash

Re: Internship opportunity

Foton
Hi NVS,

Glad to hear of your interest. The internship must be on-site. And unfortunately, I believe that in the past we have not been able to offer relocation costs for out-of-country applicants. I'm very sorry about that.

Take care,
Nick