Is there any to plot a function and interactively move the viewport around like a TI84?

Is there any to plot a function and interactively move the viewport around like a TI84?

ZachTM
I have been using the basic plot(x,y) function in octave.  It works great but I was wondering if there was a way to get a plot like in a TI84 calculator.  You input a function like Y1 = 2X^3 and then you can plot it.  You can change the viewport to zoom out and in and pan around the graph.  You don't have to specify the data you want plotted, the entire function appears.  Is there anything like this in octave?  There isn't anything like this in the plotting documentation.

Thanks for any responses,
Zach

Re: Is there any to plot a function and interactively move the viewport around like a TI84?

Bård Skaflestad
On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 21:48 -0400, Zach wrote:
> I have been using the basic plot(x,y) function in octave.  It works
> great but I was wondering if there was a way to get a plot like in a
> TI84 calculator.  You input a function like Y1 = 2X^3 and then you can
> plot it.

The closest thing I can think of that sort of matches your description
is the 'fplot' function.  See "help fplot" for details, but the essence
of it is the following

        fplot ("2.*x.^3", [0, 2])

In other words, you provide a string (or function handle, if you're so
inclined) that encodes the formula you want to plot as well as the data
range over which you want graphical representation of the formula.
Function 'fplot' then calculates all necessary data points and
internally before creating the graphical output.

Sincerely,
--
Bård Skaflestad <[hidden email]>