Largest Matrix Size for Octave

evansste
I've done some online searching, and according to a 6-year-old post, it seems that the largest acceptable matrix size for Octave is 2^31-2 elements, which would use about 16 GB of RAM.  Is this still the case, or do current versions of Octave allow 2^48-1 elements?

The 2^48-1 number was obtained from the following post that I saw about MATLAB's limitations:

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/91711-what-is-the-maximum-matrix-size-for-each-platform

This post shows a chart, which gives the above numbers I just mentioned.

Here's the 6-year-old Octave post that I talked about:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/memory-td3427479.html

It was from this post that I got the 16 GB number, which leads me to think that this correlates to 2^31-2 elements, based on the MATLAB post.

Both of these posts are old.  Does anyone know whether or not Octave now supports matricies which contain 2^48-1 elements?

Thanks so much for your time.

Re: Largest Matrix Size for Octave

tmacchant
> I've done some online searching, and according to a 6-year-old post, it
> seems
> that the largest acceptable matrix size for Octave is 2^31-2 elements, which
> would use about 16 GB of RAM.  Is this still the case, or do current
> versions of Octave allow 2^48-1 elements?
>
> The 2^48-1 number was obtained from the following post that I saw about
> MATLAB's limitations:
>
> https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/91711-what-is-the-maximum-matrix-size-for-each-platform
>
> This post shows a chart, which gives the above numbers I just mentioned.
>
> Here's the 6-year-old Octave post that I talked about:
>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/memory-td3427479.html
>
> It was from this post that I got the 16 GB number, which leads me to think
> that this correlates to 2^31-2 elements, based on the MATLAB post.
>
> Both of these posts are old.  Does anyone know whether or not Octave now
> supports matricies which contain 2^48-1 elements?
>
> Thanks so much for your time.

On which platform, are you using octave (windows, linux, or mac etcs.)?
For windows, octave 4.2.1 binary of with large arrays had been uploaded by me
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-on-Windows-with-large-arrays-td4682366.html#a4682482

HTH

Tatsuro

Re: Re: Largest Matrix Size for Octave

tmacchant
--- tmacchant

If you are not a windows user, you have to build octave with related dependencies using 64bit indexing.

See :
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Compiling-Octave-with-64_002dbit-Indexing.html

HTH

Tatsuro

Re: Re: Largest Matrix Size for Octave

evansste
Thanks for the information, Tatsuro.  The last link is particularly helpful since I'm running Linux.

I greatly appreciate your time and help.  Thank you.

Re: Re: Largest Matrix Size for Octave

tmacchant

Re: Re: Largest Matrix Size for Octave

evansste
Thanks so much for the update, Tatsuro.  I've learned that compiling anything from source is generally pretty tricky.  There's usually some error that you're bound to run into somewhere along the way.  So thanks for letting me know about revisions on line 6.

I'm eager to give this a try, but first I have to get a hold of a computer that has enough memory to handle matricies of this size.  When I do, the information you provided will be invaluable.

Thanks again.

Re: Re: Largest Matrix Size for Octave

tmacchant

>T hanks so much for the update, Tatsuro.  I've learned that compiling
> anything
> from source is generally pretty tricky.  There's usually some error that
> you're bound to run into somewhere along the way.  So thanks for letting me
> know about revisions on line 6.
>
> I'm eager to give this a try, but first I have to get a hold of a computer
> that has enough memory to handle matricies of this size.  When I do, the
> information you provided will be invaluable.
>
> Thanks again.

I have googled and found the way to show memory condition.

$ cat /proc/meminfo

HTH

Tatsuro