Line continuation marker (>) missing from GUI console

Line continuation marker (>) missing from GUI console

Daniel Sebald
I've tried the latest development code.  It compiles as usual, so I see
no C++11 issues.

I did just notice though that the line continuation marker doesn't
appear in the GUI.  For example, when running with --no-gui, I see

octave:1> plot(1:50
> )
octave:2> exit

but with the GUI I see

>> plot(1:50
)

The point is that with a fairly complex expression in the GUI it can
appear that Octave suspends rather than there being a syntax error in
the entered string.

It's strange because I thought that the console in the GUI was a
straightforward redirection of output from the core.

Is this a bug?

Dan

Re: Line continuation marker (>) missing from GUI console

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 13:39:42 -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> I did just notice though that the line continuation marker doesn't appear in
> the GUI.  For example, when running with --no-gui, I see

This is the PS2 setting. The GUI sets PS1 to ">> " and PS2 to "" by
default. You can add PS2("> ") to your startup files if you want to have
the same setting in the GUI as in the console mode.

On 06/20/2017 01:47 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 13:39:42 -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>> I did just notice though that the line continuation marker doesn't appear in
>> the GUI.  For example, when running with --no-gui, I see
>
> This is the PS2 setting. The GUI sets PS1 to ">> " and PS2 to "" by
> default. You can add PS2("> ") to your startup files if you want to have
> the same setting in the GUI as in the console mode.

I didn't know that was controllable.  Thanks,

Dan