Linear changes to hg history

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Linear changes to hg history

Rik-4
Juan,

Even if the process was manual this time (no use of rebase extension), the
results have been fine.  Your changes to pkg and related files are nicely
linear in the Mercurial repository.  Since this is new development, and the
4.4 release is just a few weeks away, it was correct to put this on the
default (development) branch.  However, one of the changes was just
alphabetizing the warnings_ids file.  This is a documentation change only
and documentation changes can go on to stable since they don't affect
function.  In fact, it is usually a good idea to fix the documentation as
quickly as possible because it reduces the number of inbound help requests
from confused users.

Accordingly, I used 'hg graft' to pull the following changeset across to
the stable branch.

changeset:   24963:2e4ed4250e52
user:        Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]>
date:        Thu Mar 22 08:05:33 2018 +0100
summary:     warning_ids.m: alphabetic order nearly-singular-matrix

--Rik

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linear changes to hg history

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 6:53 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan,
>
> Even if the process was manual this time (no use of rebase extension), the
> results have been fine.  Your changes to pkg and related files are nicely
> linear in the Mercurial repository.  Since this is new development, and the
> 4.4 release is just a few weeks away, it was correct to put this on the
> default (development) branch.  However, one of the changes was just
> alphabetizing the warnings_ids file.  This is a documentation change only
> and documentation changes can go on to stable since they don't affect
> function.  In fact, it is usually a good idea to fix the documentation as
> quickly as possible because it reduces the number of inbound help requests
> from confused users.
>
> Accordingly, I used 'hg graft' to pull the following changeset across to
> the stable branch.
>
> changeset:   24963:2e4ed4250e52
> user:        Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]>
> date:        Thu Mar 22 08:05:33 2018 +0100
> summary:     warning_ids.m: alphabetic order nearly-singular-matrix
>
> --Rik

Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback. I am happy to hear I managed to
do it correctly :D
I wasn't aware of the criteria regarding doc fixes (I should have
guessed from the commit messages).