Looking for location of tmp directory in Octave flatpak.

RT

Looking for location of tmp directory in Octave flatpak.

RT
Looking for location of tmp directory in flatpak.
I installed the Octave flatpak.  When I go to access the tmp directory while in the Octave directory it's not the same tmp directory as /tmp/  where is the Octave flatpak tmp directory located?

Thanks

==========================================|

Re: Looking for location of tmp directory in Octave flatpak.

siko1056
On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 7:10 PM RT <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking for location of tmp directory in flatpak.
I installed the Octave flatpak.  When I go to access the tmp directory while in the Octave directory it's not the same tmp directory as /tmp/  where is the Octave flatpak tmp directory located?

Thanks

==========================================|

Did you check the locations returned by the Octave commands [1]

>> tempdir
>> P_tmpdir

If this does not help, you must be more precise about the action that involves a temporary directory.

HTH,
Kai

RT

Re: Looking for location of tmp directory in Octave flatpak.

RT
When I go to access or open the tmp directory while in the Flatpak Octave program the directory is not the same tmp directory if using a file manager to access /tmp/.  I'm trying to find out where the Octave flatpak tmp directory is located so I can directly access it using a file manager?

I've tried typing in tempdir and P_tmpdir in the flatpak octave command window and they say /tmp/ but clearly it's creating another tmp directory based on the location / creation of the flatpak Octave  directory structure.

|======================================================|
|https://stillpointx.wordpress.com/research/modulated-plasma/
|======================================================|
"Knowledge may be the Key"
"But wisdom unlocks the door"
"Absolute Power demands absolutely nothing"

As the old maxim has it, you need find only one white crow to disprove the rule that all crows are black

"The bourgeois today burns as heretics and hangs as criminals those to whom he erects monuments tomorrow" ('Steppenwolf')

"There are two modes of being those in bliss and those seeking bliss,
may each step you take and each thought you make be made in a mindful and blissful state."
|======================================================|

Re: Looking for location of tmp directory in Octave flatpak.

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Jan 01, 2019 at 19:22:03 -0500, RT wrote:
> When I go to access or open the tmp directory while in the Flatpak Octave
> program the directory is not the same tmp directory if using a file manager
> to access /tmp/.  I'm trying to find out where the Octave flatpak tmp
> directory is located so I can directly access it using a file manager?

This is more of a general flatpak question, but yes, flatpak apps use a
private /tmp directory by default. It is not accessible at all on the
normal filesystem. This is by design because /tmp is supposed to be
volatile and ephemeral.

If you need to see Octave's temporary files for some reason, you have a
couple of options. First, you can define TMPDIR in Octave to use a
different directory of your choice, for example

    >> mkdir /home/user/tmp
    >> setenv TMPDIR /home/user/tmp

Or, you can force flatpak to share /tmp with the host operating system.
If you normally run Octave with

    flatpak run org.octave.Octave …

then you can run it with the --filesystem option

    flatpak run --filesystem=/tmp org.octave.Octave …

IMHO these are fine temporary measures for debugging or checking
something, but it's best not to rely on being able to peek into Octave's
temporary directory from another process.

Re: Looking for location of tmp directory in Octave flatpak.

ratulloch
Thanks that helped a lot it's only temporary.