MIDI out, please

joe valentyn

I sent this once but it didn't get set as a new thread, so as its own thread now:

Hi. Thank you thank you thank you, for enormous & high performance  free, open-source mathematical software.

MIDI isn't the GNU Octave community's first priority, but if someone has some insight & could, I personally am generating frequencies in a array/vector, & using wavwrite (soon to be audiowrite) to create a wav. It's great, but rather than beeps it would be nice to play it with a VSTi (in another, different program) simply by exporting a MIDI (((of the array))) & taking that into a sequencer that supports VSTis (basically wav-sample & synthetic instruments).

The audio generation in Octave is advanced, the next step I am here writing to request, is MIDI output to take these advanced compositions & give them the timbre they deserve, say with VSTi's or real scores (which would require nothing beyond the same: MIDI output.)

Thank you if you consider this & thanks for your time, if you do use your abilities to. Thanks!

Joe

Re: MIDI out, please

Kire Pudsje

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 10:12 PM, joe valentyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

MIDI isn't the GNU Octave community's first priority, but if someone has some insight & could, I personally am generating frequencies in a array/vector, & using wavwrite (soon to be audiowrite) to create a wav. It's great, but rather than beeps it would be nice to play it with a VSTi (in another, different program) simply by exporting a MIDI (((of the array))) & taking that into a sequencer that supports VSTis (basically wav-sample & synthetic instruments).

The audio generation in Octave is advanced, the next step I am here writing to request, is MIDI output to take these advanced compositions & give them the timbre they deserve, say with VSTi's or real scores (which would require nothing beyond the same: MIDI output.)

Have a look at

Furthermore, if you are on linux, using a named pipe (mkfifo) might ease streaming the midi file to the other applications. I do not know if on Windows named pipes are supported as easily as on Windows.