MORLAB (Model Order Reduction LABoratory) v3.0

MORLAB (Model Order Reduction LABoratory) v3.0

jbect

Seen on the "NA Digest" list :

Date: September 20, 2017
Subject: Software Release: MORLAB 3.0

Version 3.0 of the MORLAB (Model Order Reduction LABoratory) toolbox
has been released. The toolbox is a collection of MATLAB/OCTAVE
routines for model order reduction of linear dynamical systems based
on the solution of matrix equations. The implementation is based on
spectral projection methods, e.g., methods based on the matrix sign
function and the matrix disk function.

The toolbox contains implementations for standard and descriptor
systems:
- Modal truncation
- Balanced truncation
- Bounded-real balanced truncation
- Positive-real balanced truncation
- Balanced stochastic truncation
- Linear-quadratic-Gaussian balanced truncation
- H-infinity balanced truncation
- Hankel-norm approximation
Also, matrix equation solvers based on the matrix sign function as
well as further subroutines for linear dynamical systems can be found
in the MORLAB toolbox.

For more details on this software, see:
http://www.mpi-magdeburg.mpg.de/projects/morlab

Re: MORLAB (Model Order Reduction LABoratory) v3.0

Sergei Steshenko

________________________________
[...]

I am not familiar with this stuff, but the "model reduction" suggests the SW might realize what I need - the description of what I need is right below.

Suppose I have an IIR filter expressed in its standard form in, say, Z-domain: H(z) = B(z)/A(z) where B(z) and A(z) are polynomials in my case of the same order. The way I obtain the polynomials is through fitting experimental frequency response, and by the very construction of the method I use the order of the polynomials is definitely higher than needed to fit the curve.

So, I need to reduce the order of the polynomials - are these Model Order Reduction algorithms capable of doing what I need provided I change the representation of the IIR into a matrix form demanded by the algorithms ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Le 27/09/2017 à 23:06, Sergei Steshenko a écrit :

> [...]

Hi Sergei,

I can't help you, but perhaps the author of MORLAB (in CC) can ?

@++
Julien

Re: MORLAB (Model Order Reduction LABoratory) v3.0

Steffen Werner
Dear Mr. Stechenko,

the model order reduction algorithms doing exactly what you are looking for.
And you are right, that you only have to provide the data in the linear matrix representation

H(z) = N(z)/M(z) = C*(s*E - A)^-1*B + D

or in the time domain representation

Ex'(t) = Ax(t) + Bu(t),
y(t) = Cx(t) + Du(t).

As a result, smaller matrices are computed, which lead to polynomials in the transfer function of smaller order.
You can also look this up in the documentation of the different model reduction algorithms in the toolbox by using the "help" command.

Best regards,
Steffen W. R. Werner

--
Steffen W. R. Werner, M.Sc.
Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems

Phone: +49 391 6110 484
Email: [hidden email]

Le 04/10/2017 à 14:35, Steffen Werner a écrit :

> Dear Mr. Stechenko,
>
> the model order reduction algorithms doing exactly what you are
> looking for.
> And you are right, that you only have to provide the data in the
> linear matrix representation
>
> H(z) = N(z)/M(z) = C*(s*E - A)^-1*B + D
>
> or in the time domain representation
>
> Ex'(t) = Ax(t) + Bu(t),
> y(t) = Cx(t) + Du(t).
>
> As a result, smaller matrices are computed, which lead to polynomials
> in the transfer function of smaller order.
> You can also look this up in the documentation of the different model
> reduction algorithms in the toolbox by using the "help" command.
>

> Best regards,
> Steffen W. R. Werner

Hi Steffen,

Since your package is already available as an Octave package, and
distributed under a free licence (AGPL), you might be interested in
having it distributed through the Octave Forge project.

For more details : https://octave.sourceforge.io -> "Developers" tab.

@++
Julien