MSDOS-port of octave, where?

Michael Taeschner-2
Hi,

in the octave docs are two MSDOS-ports of the octave-package mentioned,
using emx and djgpp.

I hope the emx-port is NOT the one of Klaus Gebhardt, because that one
runs on OS/2 only.

Can anybody point me to a location, where I can get a binary for MSDOS?
Don't advise me to change the OS, cause I run it fine under linux. My
problem is, that I need to give it to other people, who can hardly be
convinced to install another OS... Last alternative would be a port for
win NT, if there is one.

Any help appriciated,

Michael Taeschner

Student of Engineering Mechanics:
Univ. of Magdeburg: [hidden email]
DLR Braunschweig  : [hidden email]

Re: MSDOS-port of octave, where?

Victor Aina

> Can anybody point me to a location, where I can get a binary for MSDOS?
> Don't advise me to change the OS, cause I run it fine under linux. My

Michael,

If you are successful, kindly share the info.
There is at least 51 other souls desperately
in need of the MSDOS port of octave here.

Cheers.

|----------------------------------------------------------|
| victor aina  |  e-mail: [hidden email] | fax:(604) 291-5944 |
|----------------------------------------------------------|

Re: MSDOS-port of octave, where?

Tom Short
>> Can anybody point me to a location, where I can get a binary for MSDOS?
>> Don't advise me to change the OS, cause I run it fine under linux. My
>
>Michael,
>
>If you are successful, kindly share the info.
>There is at least 51 other souls desperately
>in need of the MSDOS port of octave here.

If 51 souls are "desperate", you could do the port yourself with that pool
of human-power :-) It is tougher than it sounds based on the groups that
have tried it so far.

Over a year ago, there were two groups working on an MS-DOS port of octave,
and I haven't heard if either of them got something to work well:

(1) Klaus Gebhardt ([hidden email]) referred to
a group in Stuttgart who was working on a port (e-mail unknown) based on
Klaus's emx port.

Comments I received from Klaus:

"i did not test octave under DOS, because octave needs so much memory and such a
good CPU, that this computer can run OS/2. But some people in Stuttgart are
working on changing my port so that it runs under DOS. There main changes are
the pipes to Gnuplot and the pager, because i use popen to start the programs
and popen is not supported under DOS, i think. As far as i know the people in
Stuttgart are nearly ready. The info command is build in, so it should work.
I don't know, why readline fails to work. Perhaps you send me a detailed
description of the problems with readline and info, and also your config.sys
and autoexec.bat.

The problem with octave and DOS is that DOS is not a multitasking and
multisession system. So programs like Gnuplot or Ghostscript can't be started
in a second window, which allows you to see the graph and work on your next
input to octave."

(2) Also, Michel Juillard, CEPREMAP, Paris ([hidden email]) was also
working on a DOS port and got it along as far as the following:

"I am performing a port to DOS, OS/2, using emx+gcc. After some
initial difficulties, I made big progress replacing the info library
with the OS2 port of gnuinfo of K.U. Rommel and the OS2
implementation of readline in E. Mattes GDB.
I built a very simple pager inside Octave itself.
I need the thing to be working in DOS for our class labs, so I set
aside the DLL for the time beeing, compiling a single monster of more
than 2Mb of exe file.
I still have to implement the shell utilities and the piping to
GNUPLOT. It would be easy in OS2 only, but for DOS compatibility,
I need to build a temporary file and then execute GNUPLOT.
By the way, I'm still hesitant on when to trigger GNUPLOT. I guess
that the easier would be to do it on replot only , but that gives a
different meaning to this command."

- Tom