Mac OS Binary

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mac OS Binary

Sebastian Schöps
Dear all,

can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0

The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.

The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.

Bye
Sebastian





dependencies.txt (9K) Download Attachment
install_octave.sh (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Nov 14, 2015, at 14:35, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>
> The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.
>
> The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>
> Bye
> Sebastian
>
> <dependencies.txt>
> <install_octave.sh>

Sebastian,

Looking at the shell script, it appears to me that the bundle should work even if Fink, Macports, or some other package manager is installed and includes libraries that could conflict with the bundle. Are my expectations correct.

I'll try running it in s few hours, but thought others might be interested in its robustness.

Ben
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Sebastian Schöps
> Sebastian,
>
> Looking at the shell script, it appears to me that the bundle should work even if Fink, Macports, or some other package manager is installed and includes libraries that could conflict with the bundle. Are my expectations correct.
>
> I'll try running it in s few hours, but thought others might be interested in its robustness.
>
> Ben

The app-bundle goes entirely into the Application folder and it cannot do any harm to your fink, macports or homebrew installation. Actually they should not even take notice from each other...

Sebastian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

bpabbott
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps
> On Nov 14, 2015, at 2:35 PM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>
> The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.
>
> The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>
> Bye
> Sebastian
>
> <dependencies.txt><install_octave.sh>

I’m running Mac OS 10.10.6 one a late 2011 Macbook Pro (i7). Unfortunately the app bundle does not run for me and exists without any hint or complaint. From the command line, I get ...

PATH=/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/:$PATH;cd ~;/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave --force-gui
octave exited with signal 4

Ben


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Sebastian Schöps
> I’m running Mac OS 10.10.6 one a late 2011 Macbook Pro (i7). Unfortunately the app bundle does not run for me and exists without any hint or complaint. From the command line, I get ...
>
> PATH=/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/:$PATH;cd ~;/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave --force-gui
> octave exited with signal 4

What a pity.

Am I right that signal 4 refers to illegal instructions? So maybe the it's a matter of architecture? However, the i7 should be more than enough...
I compiled it on a Macbook Pro i7 using 10.10.5 in a virtual machine with command line tools 7.1:

pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
version: 7.1.0.0.1.1444952191

It works also on 10.11.2 beta on the host. I did not try any other machine so far.

Maybe you have a different version of the command line tools installed? Could that be a reason?
Does any other program from /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin run on your machine (e.g. gcc-5 --version)?

Thanks for testing, bye
Sebastian


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Carnë Draug
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps
On 14 November 2015 at 19:35, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It
> should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has
> confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
> [...]

I can't test it as I don't have a Mac but I have a question about it.
Why are both GraphicsMagick and ImageMagick packaged?  Octave needs
one or the other but not both (they are two libraries for image IO
with compatible APIs).

Also, looking inside the dmg file, I see GraphicsMagick was built
with quantum depth 8 and ImageMagick with quantum depth 16.  This
is kinda of confusing to me.  Why is that?

Turned out to be two questions.

Carnë

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

bpabbott
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps

> On Nov 15, 2015, at 4:38 AM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’m running Mac OS 10.10.6 one a late 2011 Macbook Pro (i7). Unfortunately the app bundle does not run for me and exists without any hint or complaint. From the command line, I get ...
>>
>> PATH=/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/:$PATH;cd ~;/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave --force-gui
>> octave exited with signal 4
>
> What a pity.
>
> Am I right that signal 4 refers to illegal instructions? So maybe the it's a matter of architecture? However, the i7 should be more than enough...
> I compiled it on a Macbook Pro i7 using 10.10.5 in a virtual machine with command line tools 7.1:
>
> pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
> package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
> version: 7.1.0.0.1.1444952191
>
> It works also on 10.11.2 beta on the host. I did not try any other machine so far.
>
> Maybe you have a different version of the command line tools installed? Could that be a reason?
> Does any other program from /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin run on your machine (e.g. gcc-5 --version)?
>
> Thanks for testing, bye
> Sebastian

Sounded like a good idea, but the gcc in the bundle doesn’t crash …

./gcc-5 --version
gcc-5 (Homebrew gcc 5.2.0) 5.2.0
Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Ben
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Eugenio Gianniti-3
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps


On 14/11/15 20:35, Sebastian wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>
> The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.
>
> The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>
> Bye
> Sebastian
>
Hi,

I tried the dmg tonight.
I am on OS X 10.11.1.
The installation went smooth and Octave started fine.
I noticed the graphical issue with window titles and buttons to close or
minimize windows overlapping.
I attach a screenshot that shows it.

Then I tried the scripts I developed for my thesis and I have been using
with the previous binary distribution, but at this point Octave froze.
It has been like this since I am writing the email, it still has not
crashed, it just hangs there.
I will give a try at pinning the issue one of the nights to come, if the
build has debug symbols.

Anyway, thank you for your effort.

Best regards,
Eugenio

Screenshot 2015-11-15 20.12.33.png (714K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

John Swensen-3
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps

On Nov 14, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all,

can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0

The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.

The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.

Bye
Sebastian

<dependencies.txt><install_octave.sh>


It works for me. I am on a Mid-2014 MBP with OSX 10.10.5 and Homebrew that has Octave installed (though in a later thread comment you said having Homebrew installed likely shouldn’t matter).

The one problem I see is that the close and expand buttons for each of the panels is over the top of the text of the name of the panel. See a screenshot at 

John S
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Carnë Draug
In reply to this post by Carnë Draug
On 14 November 2015 at 19:35, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It
> should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has
> confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
> [...]

I can't test it as I don't have a Mac but I have a question about it.
Why are both GraphicsMagick and ImageMagick packaged?  Octave needs
one or the other but not both (they are two libraries for image IO
with compatible APIs).

Also, looking inside the dmg file, I see GraphicsMagick was built
with quantum depth 8 and ImageMagick with quantum depth 16.  This
is kinda of confusing to me.  Why is that?

Turned out to be two questions.

Carnë

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Ezequiel Miron
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps
>Dear all,
>

>can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It
>should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has
>confirmed that the file is actually working...
>

>https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>

>The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL
>information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this
>mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as
>sufficient for shipping.
>

>The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we
>could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>

>Bye
>Sebastian


I¹m running OS X 10.10.5 with an Intel Core i7 processor.
The app does not run when executed and if attempted from command line it
exits like this:

~/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave
octave exited with signal 4



E



_________________________
Ezequiel Miron












On 15/11/2015 15:58, "Carnë Draug" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hey
>
>Do you want to try this? It's a Mac OS binary (dmg file) for Octave..
>
>David
>
>
>
>---------- Forwarded message ----------
>From: Sebastian <[hidden email]>
>Date: 14 November 2015 at 19:35
>Subject: Mac OS Binary
>To: octave-maintainers <[hidden email]>
>Cc: "Dr. Carlo de Falco" <[hidden email]>
>
>
>Dear all,
>
>can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It
>should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has
>confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>
>The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL
>information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this
>mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as
>sufficient for shipping.
>
>The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we
>could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>
>Bye
>Sebastian


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

rdzman
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps
It runs for me on a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina w/2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 running El Capitan 10.11.1. I have the latest Xcode installed, as well as MacPorts, but not Fink or homebrew.

I’ve tried essentially two modes of running Octave:
 (1) with the GUI, either by double-clicking the app icon in the Finder or by typing in a Terminal window::
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave --force-gui

(2) without the GUI, by typing in a Terminal window:
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave --no-gui


Here are the anomalies I see:
- (2) still opens up an octave-gui app (with no open windows). Quitting that app causes octave to exit with a segfault.
- (2) runs the test suite for some of my code  >3x slower than (1)!!
- attempting a plot in (1) results in a hang with a spinning rainbow
- attempting a plot in (2) results in a successful plot (sometimes), followed by a segfault upon trying to manipulate the figure window

    Ray


On Nov 14, 2015, at 2:35 PM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all,

can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0

The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.

The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.

Bye
Sebastian

<dependencies.txt><install_octave.sh>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Sebastian Schöps
In reply to this post by Eugenio Gianniti-3

> I noticed the graphical issue with window titles and buttons to close or
> minimize windows overlapping. I attach a screenshot that shows it.
Yes, this is a known bug. I think so far it has not been officially reported at savannah, so maybe you could do it, if you have a spare minute? I think I know how to fix it but I am currently more focussed on the big picture.

> Then I tried the scripts I developed for my thesis and I have been using
> with the previous binary distribution, but at this point Octave froze.
> It has been like this since I am writing the email, it still has not
> crashed, it just hangs there.
> I will give a try at pinning the issue one of the nights to come, if the
> build has debug symbols.
I know that plotting has some issues. Can you check why octave froze in your case, i.e, which command?

Thanks,
Sebastian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Sebastian Schöps
In reply to this post by Ezequiel Miron
> Im running OS X 10.10.5 with an Intel Core i7 processor.
> The app does not run when executed and if attempted from command line it
> exits like this:
>
> ~/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave
> octave exited with signal 4

Your CPU seems to dislike some instructions. I compiled probably using too aggressive compiler optimizations. I expected that it would work will all current Mac CPUs but this seems to be wrong (in particular there seem to be different i7 generations). I am right now recompiling with arch=core2. This should do it for all Intel Macs.

Sebastian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Sebastian Schöps
In reply to this post by rdzman
> It runs for me on a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina w/2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 running El Capitan 10.11.1. I have the latest Xcode installed, as well as MacPorts, but not Fink or homebrew.
Great; at least someone else with i7 can use it :)

> I’ve tried essentially two modes of running Octave:
>  (1) with the GUI, either by double-clicking the app icon in the Finder or by typing in a Terminal window::
> $ /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave --force-gui
> (2) without the GUI, by typing in a Terminal window:
> $ /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave --no-gui
> Here are the anomalies I see:
> - (2) still opens up an octave-gui app (with no open windows). Quitting that app causes octave to exit with a segfault.
this is expected. "--no-gui" still initializes the gui backend. try running
$ /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/bin/octave-cli

> - (2) runs the test suite for some of my code  >3x slower than (1)!!
That's ugly. Do you have access to a Linux Octave somewhere for testing? Is the speed difference the same on it?

> - attempting a plot in (1) results in a hang with a spinning rainbow
I think something is messed up with QT. I do not yet know why. The next build will use gnuplot. It's more reliable (but less fancy)

> - attempting a plot in (2) results in a successful plot (sometimes), followed by a segfault upon trying to manipulate the figure window

again: maybe gnuplot is an alternative here...

Sebastian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Carnë Draug
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps
On 14 November 2015 at 19:35, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It
> should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has
> confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>
> The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information
> and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our
> discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.
>
> The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we
> could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>

This build is using GraphicsMagick built with quantum depth 8.  This
limits the image reading to 8bit per pixel.  It is a problem because
16 bit have been the norm in science for a long time, and even just
for photography they are getting increasingly common.

Since Octave is a scientific application, it makes sense to bump this
for this builds.

It is my understanding that it is enough to pass "with-quantum-depth-16"
to homebrew the installation of graphicsmagick.

I just reported a bug with homebrew to change this too [1].

Carnë

[1] https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/46101

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

bpabbott
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sebastian Schöps
> On Nov 14, 2015, at 2:35 PM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>
> The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.
>
> The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>
> Bye
> Sebastian
>
> <dependencies.txt><install_octave.sh>

Sebastian,

There seems to be a rising interest in a Mac OS X binary. Can you add something to the wiki that we can link to when replying to inquires on the mail-list?

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X

Ben



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

bpabbott
Administrator

> On Dec 28, 2015, at 7:44 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 14, 2015, at 2:35 PM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>>
>> The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.
>>
>> The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>>
>> Bye
>> Sebastian
>>
>> <dependencies.txt><install_octave.sh>
>
> Sebastian,
>
> There seems to be a rising interest in a Mac OS X binary. Can you add something to the wiki that we can link to when replying to inquires on the mail-list?
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X
>
> Ben

Opps. I forgot to include the link to the most recent request.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2015-12/msg00235.html

Ben


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Sebastian Schöps
 

> Am 29.12.2015 um 01:53 schrieb Ben Abbott <[hidden email]>:
>> On Dec 28, 2015, at 7:44 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Nov 14, 2015, at 2:35 PM, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has confirmed that the file is actually working...
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>>>
>>> The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.
>>>
>>> The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.
>>>
>>> Bye
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>>> <dependencies.txt><install_octave.sh>
>>
>> Sebastian,
>>
>> There seems to be a rising interest in a Mac OS X binary. Can you add something to the wiki that we can link to when replying to inquires on the mail-list?
>>
>> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X
>>
>> Ben
>
> Opps. I forgot to include the link to the most recent request.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2015-12/msg00235.html
>
> Ben
>

It's on my list for new year resolutions. Beginning of January 2016, there will be a Wiki page and four binaries (Development/Stable vs. GUI/CLI). I count on your help for testing them, maybe Carlo has then also finally upgraded his ancient Mac OS X :)

Is there an appropriate place for the binaries? (dropbox is not ideal...)

Bye
Sebastian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac OS Binary

Carlo de Falco-2

On 30 Dec 2015, at 18:15, Sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> maybe Carlo has then also finally upgraded his ancient Mac OS X :)
This is on my list of new year resolutions ;)
The first step in the process (a full backup) is already done ...
c.



12