Miscellaneous build warnings

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Miscellaneous build warnings

Rik-4
7/3/17

I'm seeing the following when building Octave:

libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
(QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
(QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]

None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be silenced.

--Rik

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miscellaneous build warnings

Torsten-3
On 03.07.2017 19:05, Rik wrote:

> I'm seeing the following when building Octave:
>
> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
> (QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
> (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
>
> None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be silenced.

I will have a look at it.

Torsten



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miscellaneous build warnings

Torsten-3
On 03.07.2017 20:30, Torsten wrote:

> On 03.07.2017 19:05, Rik wrote:
>> I'm seeing the following when building Octave:
>>
>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
>> (QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
>> (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
>> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
>> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
>>
>> None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be silenced.
>
> I will have a look at it.

While trying to silence the warnings from settings-dialog.ui I get the
following error during compilation:

../libgui/src/main-window.cc: In member function ‘void
main_window::display_release_notes()’:
../libgui/src/main-window.cc:462:39: error: ‘octave::config’ has not
been declared
       std::string news_file = octave::config::oct_etc_dir () + "/NEWS";
                                       ^

This does not seem to be related to the warnings?

Torsten

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miscellaneous build warnings

Daniel Sebald

On 07/03/2017 04:11 PM, Torsten wrote:

> On 03.07.2017 20:30, Torsten wrote:
>> On 03.07.2017 19:05, Rik wrote:
>>> I'm seeing the following when building Octave:
>>>
>>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
>>> (QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
>>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
>>> (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
>>> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
>>> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
>>>
>>> None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be silenced.
>>
>> I will have a look at it.
>
> While trying to silence the warnings from settings-dialog.ui I get the
> following error during compilation:
>
> ../libgui/src/main-window.cc: In member function ‘void
> main_window::display_release_notes()’:
> ../libgui/src/main-window.cc:462:39: error: ‘octave::config’ has not
> been declared
>        std::string news_file = octave::config::oct_etc_dir () + "/NEWS";
>                                        ^
>
> This does not seem to be related to the warnings?

I'm seeing the same thing in a different part of the build.  I think
this ties in with the third warning:

> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]

because it is the octave-config.in.cc file, in particular initialize(),
that uses the prepend_octave_home() routine to create some configuration
variables in the Octave variable space.  JWE is in the process of
sizeable reorganizing, so we'll leave it to his train of thought.  Once
configuration variables comes back in via octave::config, that third
warning should disappear on its own.

Dan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miscellaneous build warnings

John W. Eaton
Administrator
In reply to this post by Torsten-3
On 07/03/2017 05:11 PM, Torsten wrote:

> On 03.07.2017 20:30, Torsten wrote:
>> On 03.07.2017 19:05, Rik wrote:
>>> I'm seeing the following when building Octave:
>>>
>>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
>>> (QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
>>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
>>> (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
>>> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
>>> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
>>>
>>> None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be silenced.
>>
>> I will have a look at it.
>
> While trying to silence the warnings from settings-dialog.ui I get the
> following error during compilation:
>
> ../libgui/src/main-window.cc: In member function ‘void
> main_window::display_release_notes()’:
> ../libgui/src/main-window.cc:462:39: error: ‘octave::config’ has not
> been declared
>        std::string news_file = octave::config::oct_etc_dir () + "/NEWS";
>                                        ^

This is probably happening because I changed from generating defaults.h
to generating default-defs.in.h.  Maybe you are getting an old
defaults.h from your build tree that doesn't include default-defs.h?
Try removing defaults.h from your build tree and I think this problem
should be fixed.

For a short time, there was also a generated defaults.cc file, so if you
have that in your build tree, remove it as  well.

jwe



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miscellaneous build warnings

Torsten-3
In reply to this post by Rik-4
On 03.07.2017 19:05, Rik wrote:

> 7/3/17
>
> I'm seeing the following when building Octave:
>
> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
> (QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
> (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
>
> None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be silenced.

The warnings from settings-dialog.ui should be fixed with cset
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/154c876e241b

Torsten



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miscellaneous build warnings

John W. Eaton
Administrator
On 07/05/2017 03:05 PM, Torsten wrote:

> On 03.07.2017 19:05, Rik wrote:
>> 7/3/17
>>
>> I'm seeing the following when building Octave:
>>
>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
>> (QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
>> (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
>> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
>> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
>>
>> None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be silenced.
>
> The warnings from settings-dialog.ui should be fixed with cset
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/154c876e241b
>
> Torsten

I'm seeing similar warnings again:

/home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
'verticalLayout_9' (QVBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to
'verticalLayout_91'.
/home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
'gridLayout_2' (QGridLayout) is already in use, defaulting to
'gridLayout_22'.
/home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
'label_16' (QLabel) is already in use, defaulting to 'label_161'.
/home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
'horizontalSpacer_18' (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to
'horizontalSpacer_181'.

Can you explain how you fixed these kinds of warnings previously so I
can maybe do it myself in the future?  Do you just edit the XML in the
.ui file by hand, or do you use qtcreator, or ??

Thanks,

jwe



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miscellaneous build warnings

Torsten-3
On 29.08.2017 01:30, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 07/05/2017 03:05 PM, Torsten wrote:
>> On 03.07.2017 19:05, Rik wrote:
>>> 7/3/17
>>>
>>> I'm seeing the following when building Octave:
>>>
>>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
>>> (QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
>>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
>>> (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
>>> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
>>> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used
>>> [-Wunused-function]
>>>
>>> None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be
>>> silenced.
>>
>> The warnings from settings-dialog.ui should be fixed with cset
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/154c876e241b
>>
>> Torsten
>
> I'm seeing similar warnings again:
>
> /home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
> 'verticalLayout_9' (QVBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to
> 'verticalLayout_91'.
> /home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
> 'gridLayout_2' (QGridLayout) is already in use, defaulting to
> 'gridLayout_22'.
> /home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
> 'label_16' (QLabel) is already in use, defaulting to 'label_161'.
> /home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
> 'horizontalSpacer_18' (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to
> 'horizontalSpacer_181'.
>
> Can you explain how you fixed these kinds of warnings previously so I
> can maybe do it myself in the future?  Do you just edit the XML in the
> .ui file by hand, or do you use qtcreator, or ??
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe
>

The variable editor including new objects in the settings dialog was
pushed recently. During the long development of this changeset, other
changes in the dialog have created new objects with the same name. Maybe
we should always give unique names to each new object in the dialog
instead of automatic names selected by qt-designer (which is the
graphical tool for editing settings.dialog.ui). I can do these changes
tonight.

Torsten