Modeling and Simulation in Octave

Allen Downey
Hello Octave maintainers,

First, thank you for your work on this great project!

Second, I am writing to let you know about a book project I am starting.  Years ago I wrote Physical Modeling in MATLAB, which we used for an introductory engineering class at Olin College.

This summer, I started working with Craig Scratchley at Simon Fraser University.  We are updating the book and one of the changes we are planning is explicit support for Octave as well as MATLAB.  In particular, I have started making Jupyter notebooks with the code from the book and some explanatory text.

The book is at

And the first notebook is here:

This email is mostly FYI, but if any of you are interested enough to check it out, we welcome any comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Allen

Re: Modeling and Simulation in Octave

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Hi Allen,

This looks quite nice, thanks for sharing.
You might want to check packages like ekfukf[1] and gpml[2] if you
want to adavanced sections in interpolation/model calibration/system
identification.

Regards,

[1]: https://github.com/kakila/ekfukf
[2]: https://bitbucket.org/KaKiLa/gpml/src

Re: Modeling and Simulation in Octave

Nir Krakauer-3
Hi Juan,

Those seem like very useful packages too! Can you add them to the list in the Wiki [1] so that more people can know about them?

Nir

Re: Modeling and Simulation in Octave

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Hi Nir,

done, will improve later.
That page needs a sortable table or we need a searchable index.