More GSOC projects

Rik-4
Nir,

I added three good ideas (at least I think so) to the GSOC Project List

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#SPQR_Interface
https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#_PolarAxes_and_Plotting_Improvements

Haven't some of the projects already been completed in the last GSOC
cycle?  I'm thinking of the Special Functions and ODE projects.

--Rik

Re: More GSOC projects

Nir Krakauer-3
Hi Rik,

> Haven't some of the projects already been completed in the last GSOC
cycle?  I'm thinking of the Special Functions and ODE projects.

Yes. The page hasn't been fully updated from last year.

Nir

Re: More GSOC projects

Sahil
I've been in contact with Doug Stewart for quite sometime.He had an idea for
the project which will introduce SISO (Single Input Single Output)Tool for
octave. It may serve as a good idea for both GUI as well as ODE based
project. The attached document has an outline that you may want to read.

Regards
Sahil

sisotool.odt <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t372663/sisotool.odt>

Re: More GSOC projects

Marco Caliari-4
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 12:42:15 -0500
Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rik,
>
> > Haven't some of the projects already been completed in the last GSOC
> cycle?  I'm thinking of the Special Functions and ODE projects.
> ​
> Yes. The page hasn't been fully updated from last year.
>
> Nir

Yes, the page is not updated and it is quite difficult to understand which
projects are currently available. I would suggest that only the projects with at
least one mentor communicated to this mailing-list since the new year do
appear as active projects. The remaining projects (old, very old, partially
completed, ...) could be moved in a section "Past projects" or something
similar.

Marco

Re: More GSOC projects

Ankit
Or, we can make link to previous year project in bullet form. IMO listing previous project in bullet form would be better.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 1:16 PM, Marco Caliari <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 12:42:15 -0500
Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rik,
>
> > Haven't some of the projects already been completed in the last GSOC
> cycle?  I'm thinking of the Special Functions and ODE projects.
> ​
> Yes. The page hasn't been fully updated from last year.
>
> Nir

Yes, the page is not updated and it is quite difficult to understand which
projects are currently available. I would suggest that only the projects with at
least one mentor communicated to this mailing-list since the new year do
appear as active projects. The remaining projects (old, very old, partially
completed, ...) could be moved in a section "Past projects" or something
similar.

Marco

Re: More GSOC projects

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:54 AM, Ankit Raj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or, we can make link to previous year project in bullet form. IMO listing
> previous project in bullet form would be better.
>

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 1:16 PM, Marco Caliari <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 12:42:15 -0500
>> Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Rik,

>> > cycle?  I'm thinking of the Special Functions and ODE projects.
>> >
>> > Yes. The page hasn't been fully updated from last year.
>> >
>> > Nir
>>
>> Yes, the page is not updated and it is quite difficult to understand which
>> projects are currently available. I would suggest that only the projects
>> with at
>> least one mentor communicated to this mailing-list since the new year do
>> appear as active projects. The remaining projects (old, very old,
>> partially
>> completed, ...) could be moved in a section "Past projects" or something
>> similar.
>>
>> Marco

I just deleted old projects, but we can keep them in a list instead.

What is really important to keep up to date is the summary table at
the beginning, please do double check it.

Re: More GSOC projects

Pantxo
Rik-4 wrote

> Nir,
>
> I added three good ideas (at least I think so) to the GSOC Project List
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector
> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#SPQR_Interface
> https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#_PolarAxes_and_Plotting_Improvements
>
> Haven't some of the projects already been completed in the last GSOC
> cycle?  I'm thinking of the Special Functions and ODE projects.
>

> --Rik

Rik,

I don't think this polar axes project is a step in the right direction.
Matlab has split the complicated tasks of axes objects into single objects:
lines, text (graphics primitives), ticks (ruller objects) etc ... and the
classdef "axes" objects is built from an aggregation of those objects.

ATM, our classdef support is not sufficient to go the HG2 graphics system
route (I can extend on this if necessary), but IMO what we need is to
disentangle the current axes object mess and try to mimic Matlab (at leat
formally) *not* to add new super-complicated low level objects.

Pantxo