NEWS and release announcement for 5.1 on the web site

NEWS and release announcement for 5.1 on the web site

I added two files to the octave web pages repo in the following changeset:

   https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/afa95c42b86b

and ran "make deploy"  It seems to have worked.  If anyone notices
problems, please let me know.

I will post a release announcement to the mailing lists next.

Re: NEWS and release announcement for 5.1 on the web site

siko1056
On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:38 PM John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added two files to the octave web pages repo in the following changeset:

   https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/afa95c42b86b

and ran "make deploy"  It seems to have worked.  If anyone notices
problems, please let me know.

I will post a release announcement to the mailing lists next.

jwe

The update looks good to me, all links are working!  Good to hear that I'm not the only one able to manage octave.org updates ;-)

Just a final nuance is to increment the "community-news-page-serial":

Then all Octave users who chose to be informed about updates will receive a message at next startup.

Thanks for all the release effort,

Kai

Re: NEWS and release announcement for 5.1 on the web site

apjanke-floss

On 3/2/19 3:58 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:38 PM John W. Eaton <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I added two files to the octave web pages repo in the following
>     changeset:
>
>     https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/afa95c42b86b
>
>     and ran "make deploy"  It seems to have worked.  If anyone notices
>     problems, please let me know.
>
>     I will post a release announcement to the mailing lists next.
>
>     jwe
>

> The update looks good to me, all links are working!  Good to hear that
> I'm not the only one able to manage octave.org <http://octave.org>
> updates ;-)
>
> Just a final nuance is to increment the "community-news-page-serial":
>
> https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/f58b6e395216
>
> Then all Octave users who chose to be informed about updates will
> receive a message at next startup.
>
> Thanks for all the release effort,
>
> Kai

And to update the channel topic message on the freenode #octave IRC
channel. It currently says "Octave 4.4 is out!", so IRC users get the
notification on next logon.

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: NEWS and release announcement for 5.1 on the web site

PhilipNienhuis
siko1056 wrote
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:38 PM John W. Eaton &lt;

> jwe@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> I added two files to the octave web pages repo in the following
>> changeset:
>>
>>    https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/afa95c42b86b
>>
>> and ran "make deploy"  It seems to have worked.  If anyone notices
>> problems, please let me know.
>>
>> I will post a release announcement to the mailing lists next.
>>
>> jwe
>>

> The update looks good to me, all links are working!  Good to hear that I'm
> not the only one able to manage octave.org updates ;-)
>
> Just a final nuance is to increment the "community-news-page-serial":
>
>    https://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/f58b6e395216
>
> Then all Octave users who chose to be informed about updates will receive
> message at next startup.
>
> Thanks for all the release effort,

Thanks for all the efforts.

What about replacing the direct link to the binary windows installers on
ftp.gnu.org by the list of mirrors, http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave/windows?
(Along the lines JWE himself mentions in his 5.1.0 announcement :-) )

Philip

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 10:20 AM PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]> wrote:

What about replacing the direct link to the binary windows installers on
ftp.gnu.org by the list of mirrors, http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave/windows?
(Along the lines JWE himself mentions in his 5.1.0 announcement :-) )

Philip

Good suggestion.  At least I see no point in not doing it:

Best,
Kai