Name of GUI Window: Preferences or Settings?

Name of GUI Window: Preferences or Settings?

Rik-4
5/23/18

Currently there is a menu option Edit->Preferences.  However, this option
opens up a window with the title Settings.  Octave should make these two
things consistent, and there is a bug report about this already (bug
#53616).  Does anybody have a good line of reasoning for whether we should
use "Preferences" or "Settings"?

--Rik

Re: Name of GUI Window: Preferences or Settings?

Torsten-3
On 24.05.2018 05:22, Rik wrote:
> 5/23/18
>
> Currently there is a menu option Edit->Preferences.  However, this option
> opens up a window with the title Settings.  Octave should make these two
> things consistent, and there is a bug report about this already (bug
> #53616).  Does anybody have a good line of reasoning for whether we should
> use "Preferences" or "Settings"?
>
> --Rik

IMHO, in most programs the menu entry and the dialog is called
"preferences". I vote for going this way, too, but without changing all
internal variable names, classes and files.

Torsten

Re: Name of GUI Window: Preferences or Settings?

Ian McCallion
I agree.  "settings" sounds like things that must be correct for
something to function  (eg directory locations) and "preferences"
sound like things that suit the user, eg colours and fonts. It's not
entirely clear-cut of course, but everything in the "settings" menu
(with the possible exception of proxy settings) looks like preferences
to me.

Cheers... Ian