Newby needs help w/ octave plots

Jack A Walker
Hi,

     I recently installed octave on my Linux 1.2.1 system and I am having
problems plotting.  Octave launches gnuplot to plot the graph on the screen.
Unfortunately when I press enter to close the graph and return to octave nothing
seems to happen.  If I press control c both gnuplot and  octave are terminated.
I have 'set terminal linux' in .gnuplot.  I have tried 'set terminal x11' to be
able to do plots from octave run in an xterm but similar undesirable effects
occur.  By the way when I have run the gnuplot demos everything works as I would
expect so I suspect the octave interface to gnuplot is the culprit.

     The command I am using to plot the data vectors x and y are:

x=1:10;
y=x.*x;
plot(x,y);

Thanks,