No access to forge from Windows 8

Kalinovskiy, Igor

Hi. I am having a trouble with access to forge:

>> pkg list -forge

error: pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet connection

error: called from

    list_forge_packages at line 29 column 5

    pkg at line 359 column 11

>> [content,success,msg] = urlread("https://octave.sourceforge.io/list_packages.php")

content =

success = 0

msg = SSL connect error

urlread cannot read from forge, but it is OK with some other https-URLs, e.g:

>> [content,success,msg] = urlread("https://gnu.org");

>> success,msg

success = 1

msg =

Looks like something wrong with curl. Maybe this issue still persists?

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=49869

I am using this Win-64 build:

https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/octave-4.2.1-w64-installer.exe

D:\program\Octave-4.2.1\bin>curl -vL "https://octave.sourceforge.io/list_packages.php"

* timeout on name lookup is not supported

*   Trying 216.34.181.153...

* TCP_NODELAY set

* Connected to octave.sourceforge.io (216.34.181.153) port 443 (#0)

* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with octave.sourceforge.io port 443 (step 1/3)

* schannel: checking server certificate revocation

* schannel: sending initial handshake data: sending 194 bytes...

* schannel: sent initial handshake data: sent 194 bytes

* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with octave.sourceforge.io port 443 (step 2/3)

* schannel: failed to receive handshake, need more data

* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with octave.sourceforge.io port 443 (step 2/3)

* schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 2975 length 4096

* schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092013) - The revocation function was unable to ch

eck revocation because the revocation server was offline.

* Curl_http_done: called premature == 1

* Closing connection 0

* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with octave.sourceforge.io port 443

* schannel: clear security context handle

curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092013) - The revocation function was una

ble to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.

Best regards,

Igor.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any accompanying attachments, if not otherwise specified, contain Rhonda Software Proprietary and Confidential Information and is intended only for the individuals or entity to whom it is addressed. Any inadvertent or unauthorized disclosure shall not compromise or waive the confidentiality of this transmission or any applicable attorney-client privilege. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and all attached documents.

Re: No access to forge from Windows 8

Andreas Weber-6
Am 18.01.2018 um 12:21 schrieb Kalinovskiy, Igor:
> Hi. I am having a trouble with access to forge:
> * schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error
> (0x80092013) - The revocation function was unable to ch
> eck revocation because the revocation server was offline.

I think this says it all.
curl is not able to check revocations, so perhaps

http://gp.symcb.com/gp.crl

was down at this time? Another reason I've found:

"When curl is built with the WinSSL (schannel) SSL backend certificate
revocation checking is enabled by default and the checking is handled
automatically by the Windows OS, not by libcurl. Whatever proxy settings
you are using in libcurl will not be used to retrieve the revocation
resource, instead the OS will use its settings. Assuming those settings
are correct that error message usually means what it says, the
revocation server is offline. However I did once see that message when
there was no revocation resource in the CA certificate [1], but that's
very unusual unless the SSL traffic is being intercepted."

HTH, Andy