No information on configuration?

Helmut Weidner-Kim
Hello,

I have the German localized version of GNU octave 4.4.0 running under Linux.
This means that I can cite GUI elements only in German and then try to re-
translate them into English - the outcome may not always be the original
wording.

After starting octave I tried to configure octave, so I called "Bearbeiten/
Einstellungen" (edit/options). In the tab "Editor" (editor) I found the
settings
        "String, der zum Auskommentieren des ausgewählten Texts benutzt wird"
        (string used to comment out the selected [marked?] text)"
and
        "Strings, die beim Entfernen von Kommentaren berücksichtigt werden"
        (strings that are considered (?) at removal of comments)
Especially the last description is so vague that I cannot figure out what will
be changed if I change that option. Therefore, my translation is a rude guess.

So I looked into help and found _nothing_ on octave configuration (apart from
things to be set at compilation time, which is quite another topic), and
looking for "settings" or "options" or even "gui" didn't help either. If any
documentation on octave configuration exists, it should be incorporated into
the manual. Or at least mentioned in
        https://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page#Getting_help

Another question: If I chose an external editor like kate, will GNU octave
make any attempts to transfer some settings in the editor tab to the kate
session opened, or will then everything in that tab (except the editor
invocation line, of course) have no effect at all?

        Helmut
--
Spruch des Jahres:
Ich will dem Durstigen geben aus der Quelle des lebendigen Wassers umsonst.

Re: No information on configuration?

siko1056
Helmut Weidner-Kim wrote

> Hello,
>
> I have the German localized version of GNU octave 4.4.0 running under
> Linux.
> This means that I can cite GUI elements only in German and then try to re-
> translate them into English - the outcome may not always be the original
> wording.
>
> After starting octave I tried to configure octave, so I called
> "Bearbeiten/
> Einstellungen" (edit/options). In the tab "Editor" (editor) I found the
> settings
> "String, der zum Auskommentieren des ausgewählten Texts benutzt wird"
> (string used to comment out the selected [marked?] text)"
> and
> "Strings, die beim Entfernen von Kommentaren berücksichtigt werden"
> (strings that are considered (?) at removal of comments)
> Especially the last description is so vague that I cannot figure out what
> will
> be changed if I change that option. Therefore, my translation is a rude
> guess.
>
> So I looked into help and found _nothing_ on octave configuration (apart
> from
> things to be set at compilation time, which is quite another topic), and
> looking for "settings" or "options" or even "gui" didn't help either. If
> any
> documentation on octave configuration exists, it should be incorporated
> into
> the manual. Or at least mentioned in
> https://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page#Getting_help
>
> Another question: If I chose an external editor like kate, will GNU octave
> make any attempts to transfer some settings in the editor tab to the kate
> session opened, or will then everything in that tab (except the editor
> invocation line, of course) have no effect at all?
>
> Helmut
> --
> Spruch des Jahres:
> Ich will dem Durstigen geben aus der Quelle des lebendigen Wassers
> umsonst.
> (Bibel: Off 21,6)

Dear Helmut,

AFAIK, there is no verbose GUI manual yet.  Many of the settings are
hopefully self-explanatory.  If they are not, like in your case, it is good
to give us feedback and to improve the situation.

If you don't want to re-translate the GUI, you might temporarily switch it
to English and back to German afterwards (requires an Octave restart)
"Bearbeiten" -> "Einstellungen", Tab "Allgemein", then "Sprache".

Regarding your two commenting settings:

The first setting tells Octave what do do, if you select some text in the
editor and you want to comment out the affected lines (pressing CTRL + R).
If you have selected "##" for example, the respective characters will be
places at each beginning of the affected lines.

The second setting tells Octave what to do, if you select a commented
section in the editor and press CTRL+SHIFT+R (uncomment).  As Octave support
many comment types "%, #, ..." you can choose which of them Octave should
consider and which ones ignore.

Even Octave is a powerful language, it certainly has no influence on other
programs you installed, e.g. Kate ;-)

HTH,
Kai