OCTAVE Vs. MATLAB for Audio DSP and processing

OCTAVE Vs. MATLAB for Audio DSP and processing

Rocko
Hi all,

I'm looking into OCTAVE Vs. MATLAB for audio processing tools. I've searched
this forum but couldn't find answers to what I'm looking for.

Besides the price issue (MATLAB + Audio DSP Toll box + simulink will cost a
few thousand USD ;-( ... ) can OCTAVE do these things:

1. connect to ASIO drivers for input and output of multi channels (2 or
more) in real time ?
2. The above with sample rates of 44100, 48000, 96000 Hz?
3. connect to MIDI drivers and soundcrads (RME and the like) over Windows 10
OS ?
4. Simulink like (graphical coding ability of connecting 'modules' ) ?
5. VST 32 and 64 bit export as well as *.exe (stand alone) solution export ?

Any other suggestion of this topic would be great.

Rocko

Re: OCTAVE Vs. MATLAB for Audio DSP and processing

list_email

> On Oct 30, 2017, at 1:17 AM, Rocko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking into OCTAVE Vs. MATLAB for audio processing tools. I've searched
> this forum but couldn't find answers to what I'm looking for.
>
> Besides the price issue (MATLAB + Audio DSP Toll box + simulink will cost a
> few thousand USD ;-( ... ) can OCTAVE do these things:
>
> 1. connect to ASIO drivers for input and output of multi channels (2 or
> more) in real time ?
> 2. The above with sample rates of 44100, 48000, 96000 Hz?
> 3. connect to MIDI drivers and soundcrads (RME and the like) over Windows 10
> OS ?
> 4. Simulink like (graphical coding ability of connecting 'modules' ) ?
> 5. VST 32 and 64 bit export as well as *.exe (stand alone) solution export ?
>
> Any other suggestion of this topic would be great.
>
> Rocko

I suggest, don’t use Octave or Matlab.

Is there some compelling reason to use these tools instead of something more appropriate? The boss is making you? You already know the language? The toolboxes are awesome? You like slow execution?

Consider some of these: Supercollider, Faust, Max, pd, ChucK, Csound, Nyquist, Music-N.

Jerry