[OF] mapping package

JuanPi
Hi,

I just bumped into m_map [1], you might already knew it.

It is not libre (no license and stupid header) but maybe the author,
if contacted is willing to release it under a proper libre license.

Cheers

[1]: https://www.eoas.ubc.ca/~rich/private/mapug.html

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
- C. Darwin

Re: [OF] mapping package

Philip Nienhuis
JuanPi wrote
Hi,

I just bumped into m_map [1], you might already knew it.

It is not libre (no license and stupid header) but maybe the author,
if contacted is willing to release it under a proper libre license.
Thanks JuanPi, I know that package, I've tried it a while but there were various things in it I found impractical and it had several limitations I couldn't work around. IIRC it used to be on Matlab Central as well. From what I know it isn't maintained anymore.
Another link to it is here, don't know if the package is up-to-date there.

As to projections (a major missing part of the mapping pkg that is partly present in m_map), Felipe G. Nievinsky has his geodesy package that could be linked to from the OF mapping package, I've been trying that but gave up due to lack of time; an issue is that it has no documentation to speak of. See patch #8377

FYI, I'm slowly tackling an OF package maintenance backlog due to very busy months at work. First I need to work on the io package, mapping is next.  Yet I've hit several issues cross-building the windows binaries ( I use & test Octave & OF packages on Windows for my daily work), bisecting takes ages because the build system (Linux) is different than the install system (Windows).

Philip

Re: [OF] mapping package

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Hi Philip,

Nice to hear from you.

> Another link to it is  here
> <http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/it/UNIX/unix-apps/matlab/map.html>  , don't
> know if the package is up-to-date there.
It seems the link I provided is more up to date, but still last
updated around 2014-2015

> Yet I've hit several issues cross-building the windows binaries ( I use &
> test Octave & OF packages on Windows for my daily work), bisecting takes
> ages because the build system (Linux) is different than the install system
> (Windows).
I do not even know where to start! How do you set up your environment
for cross compiling?

Re: [OF] mapping package

PhilipNienhuis
Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> Hi Philip,

<snip>

> I do not even know where to start! How do you set up your environment
> for cross compiling?

Some start is here:
http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer

(Problem is that mktime() crashes hard in Windows since some weeks.
Funnily, cloning, "hg update"-ing to 2 months back, and and from there
on incrementally updating to tip produces an installer that does seem to
work fine once in Windows.
I must be s/th in the Octave source; I have three separate mxe-octave
branches (different gcc, 32/64 bit) and all of them produce a
nsis-binary that portrays this. A dist archive produced on my other
build box: same issue.
Very enigmatic.
But I want to sort out some more before entering a bug report)

Philip