Quantcast

OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Rik-4
Octave Community:

I cleaned up the wiki page for OctConf 2017
(http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2017) to remove bits pertaining to the last
conference.  It should now be clear that we are proposing a 3-day
conference running from Monday (March 20th) through Wednesday (March 22nd)
to be held at CERN near Geneva, Switzerland.

The most critical item for the Octave community and the organizers is to
get a preliminary headcount.

IF YOU WILL BE ATTENDING, PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME AT:
http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2017#Participants

This is not a commitment, but if there is a reasonably high probability
that you might attend for some of the days then add your name.

Currently, there are only 6 participants which is not a large enough number
to go forward.

--Rik

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Andrea Latina
Dear all,

in addition to Rik's email.

I would invite all those who intend to participate to register, also, on the dedicated CERN web page: https://indico.cern.ch/event/609833/

This will help us (CERN) organize the event and deliver the access cards.

Please register as soon as possible: we need to reach a critical mass before we can move forward.

Thank you.
Andrea

On 1 February 2017 at 17:56, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Octave Community:

I cleaned up the wiki page for OctConf 2017
(http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2017) to remove bits pertaining to the last
conference.  It should now be clear that we are proposing a 3-day
conference running from Monday (March 20th) through Wednesday (March 22nd)
to be held at CERN near Geneva, Switzerland.

The most critical item for the Octave community and the organizers is to
get a preliminary headcount.

IF YOU WILL BE ATTENDING, PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME AT:
http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2017#Participants

This is not a commitment, but if there is a reasonably high probability
that you might attend for some of the days then add your name.

Currently, there are only 6 participants which is not a large enough number
to go forward.

--Rik

c.

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

c.

On 1 Feb 2017, at 17:56, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently, there are only 6 participants which is not a large enough number
> to go forward.

It actually seems the current list is only a result of copy-paste from the page
for the previous edition so I don't think that it is reliable at all.

Shall we remove names from that list that are not on the CERN registration system as well, to get a more accurate estimate?

c.

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Andrea Latina
Why doesn't the wiki just point to the CERN registration system, so to have an unique list of actual registrants?

On 2 February 2017 at 12:14, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 1 Feb 2017, at 17:56, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently, there are only 6 participants which is not a large enough number
> to go forward.

It actually seems the current list is only a result of copy-paste from the page
for the previous edition so I don't think that it is reliable at all.

Shall we remove names from that list that are not on the CERN registration system as well, to get a more accurate estimate?

c.

c.

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

c.

On 2 Feb 2017, at 12:17, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why doesn't the wiki just point to the CERN registration system, so to have an unique list of actual registrants?

Makes sense to me, can you please edit the wiki in that way?

c.

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Andrea Latina
OK. I'll do that.

On 2 February 2017 at 12:28, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 2 Feb 2017, at 12:17, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why doesn't the wiki just point to the CERN registration system, so to have an unique list of actual registrants?

Makes sense to me, can you please edit the wiki in that way?

c.

c.

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

c.

On 2 Feb 2017, at 12:31, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK. I'll do that.

Does the CERN system allow adding comments like the wiki?

Some people's partiticipation is dependent on some condition,
this information is of interest at this stage, so if indico does
not offer that feature it still makes sense to have a separate list on the wiki.

c.

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Andrea Latina
I have modified the registration form to include a field "Comments" that the registrants can fill in.

Is this sufficient to replace that section in the wiki?

On 2 February 2017 at 12:40, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 2 Feb 2017, at 12:31, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK. I'll do that.

Does the CERN system allow adding comments like the wiki?

Some people's partiticipation is dependent on some condition,
this information is of interest at this stage, so if indico does
not offer that feature it still makes sense to have a separate list on the wiki.

c.

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have modified the registration form to include a field "Comments" that the
> registrants can fill in.
>
> Is this sufficient to replace that section in the wiki?
>

> On 2 February 2017 at 12:40, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 2 Feb 2017, at 12:31, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > OK. I'll do that.
>>
>> Does the CERN system allow adding comments like the wiki?
>>
>> Some people's partiticipation is dependent on some condition,
>> this information is of interest at this stage, so if indico does
>> not offer that feature it still makes sense to have a separate list on the
>> wiki.
>>
>> c.

Hi,

The list nae is not a result of copy'n'paste!
Please watch the page before you say this!

I think we need to have our own records. Please keep the list in the
wiki. What can be done is to freeze the wiki list (i.e. do nothing)
and then get the info from the CERN cite (@Andrea: can this be done?)

Cheers

c.

Re: OctConf 2017 sign-up list

c.

On 2 Feb 2017, at 14:37, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The list nae is not a result of copy'n'paste!
> Please watch the page before you say this!

Well, before I edited the list it contained entries that where obviuosly wrong.
It may be not a result of cut and paste but still makes estimates based on that list inaccurate.

c.