Octave 1.90 available for ftp

John W. Eaton-6
A test release of Octave 2.0 is now available for ftp from
ftp.che.wisc.edu in the directory /pub/octave/pre-2.0.  (Note that
this is different from the location of the normal snapshots.)

I've configured and compiled this version with

  configure --enable-shared --enable-lite-kernel

on the following systems:

  DEC Alpha, OSF/1 3.2, gcc 2.7.2, and libg++ 2.7.1

  i586, Linux 2.0.0, gcc 2.7.2, libg++ 2.7.14, and libc 5.2.18

I'm sure there are some bugs and other misfeatures.  I hope to be able
to clear up most of the major problems fairly quickly by making the
test releases available to more people.

Please report any problems to the normal bug-octave mailing list.  If
possible, use the function `bug_report' to report bugs, as it provides
a lot of useful information, and using it will also help to find bugs
in the bug reporting function.

Re: Octave 1.90 available for ftp

Jeppe Sigbrandt

Hi,

(have sent this to mailing list since somebody there may
know whats going on, and it may be useful if anyone else is
running into similar problems with Debian)

jwe writes:
> If your system has ncurses, why is the test for it failing?  Is it in
> a directory that ld doesn't normally search?

This is what /var/lib/dpkg/status reports
(dpkg maintains a database about the state of the debian system):

Package: ncurses-base
Essential: yes
 This package contains what should be a reasonable subset of terminal
 definitions, including: ansi, dumb, linux, sun, vt100, vt102, vt220,
 vt52, xterm and xterm-color.

Package: ncurses3.0
Essential: yes
 This package contains the shared libraries necessary to run programs
 compiled with the ncurses libraries.

Package: ncurses-bin
Essential: yes
 This package contains the programs used for manipulating the terminfo
 database and individual terminfo entries, as well as some programs for
 resetting terminals and such.

It appears I have "ncurses-base" and "ncurses3.0" and "ncurses-bin" installed,
which conflict with "ncurses".  Maybe this is more a problem for Debian
people ...

For more details of the exact files within the above packages one can do
grep ncurses ftp://ftp.mcc.ac.uk:/pub/linux/distributions/Debian/buzz/Contents.gz

Files with "ncurses" in their filenames are located at:
/lib/libncurses.so.3.0
/lib/libcurses.so.0.1.2
/lib/libcurses.so.0

Regards,
jay

On  1-Nov-1996, Jeppe Sigbrandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

: (have sent this to mailing list since somebody there may
: know whats going on, and it may be useful if anyone else is
: running into similar problems with Debian)

My linux system is also a debian distribution:

  Linux tillamook-sharp 2.0.6 #2 Sun Jul 14 18:49:25 PDT 1996 i586
  Copyright (C) 1993-1996 Debian Association, Inc. and others

with exactly the same ncurses entries in /var/lib/dpkg/status and the
same curses libs in /lib.

I also have the following files in /usr/lib:

  /usr/lib/libcurses.a
  /usr/lib/libcurses.so
  /usr/lib/libncurses.a
  /usr/lib/libncurses.so
  /usr/lib/libncurses3.0_pic.a
  /usr/lib/libncurses_g.a

I don't have termcap or termlib libraries.  When I run configure, it
finds -lncurses.

Can someone please debug this?

Re: Octave 1.90 available for ftp

Jeppe Sigbrandt

> > My linux system is also a debian distribution:
>
> >   Linux tillamook-sharp 2.0.6 #2 Sun Jul 14 18:49:25 PDT 1996 i586
> >   Copyright (C) 1993-1996 Debian Association, Inc. and others
>
> > with exactly the same ncurses entries in /var/lib/dpkg/status and the
> > same curses libs in /lib.
>
> > I also have the following files in /usr/lib:
>
> >   /usr/lib/libcurses.a
> >   /usr/lib/libcurses.so
> >   /usr/lib/libncurses.a
> >   /usr/lib/libncurses.so
> >   /usr/lib/libncurses3.0_pic.a
> >   /usr/lib/libncurses_g.a
>
> > I don't have termcap or termlib libraries.  When I run configure, it
> > finds -lncurses.
>
> > Can someone please debug this?
>
> I have exactly the same system, and never had a problem with finding
> ncurses.
>
> Jeppe, did you check config.log?  It might show where the problem is.
> It seems that ncurses3.0-dev is not installed on your system ... so I
> would conjecture that the autoconf test fails because there is no
> curses.h on your system etc etc.
>
> Can you please check that?

You are right :) All that was needed was to install ncurses3.0-dev
from the development section of the Debian distribution.  Thx !!!

I did take a look at config.log when the problem occured and it
reported not being able to find ncurses.  However, since all the
standard ncurses stuff was there, it left me confused.

Would this warrant a short note in the Install instructions?

The compilation seems to be proceeding smoothly now :)

Regards,
jay