Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10

Juan Pablo Carbajal
Hi,
After a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10 I did
> sudo apt-get install build-essential
> sudo apt-get build-dep octave3.2

Then ./configure but bison and libfontconfig-dev are still missing so

> sudo apt-get bison libfontconfig-dev

After this configure, make (1:30 hr in 2.0 Ghz) and make check works
perfectly.  However when plotting I am getting errors due to missing
x11 for gnuplot
so

> sudo apt-get gnuplot

And gnuplot-x11 will be installed.

Then there is another warning concerning gnuplot when using wxt
terminal ("pixmap module not found") to fix it I did

> sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf

After this I see no more errors and so far everything runs smoothly.

I will do a checkinstall deb package for this version of Ubuntu.

Cheers

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----

Re: Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10

mmesser314
Thanks for creating the binary package to install Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10.
I just tried installing it and had a few problems. I may have got Octave working.
Sorry this is so verbose.

My OS is 32 bit Windows Vista. I am using VMware Player to host Ubuntu 11.10.
I had Octave 3.2 installed from the package provided by the Ubuntu Software Center.  I uninstalled it.
Just before installing, I received a notification that a system update is needed. I did the update.

--- Warning on install
To get the package, I clicked on a link at the Octave project's Octave for GNU Linux: Binary Octave packages for GNU Linux page.
I took the default choice of having the Ubuntu Software Center download the package.
The Software Center popped open a dialog titled "The package is of bad quality". It contains dire warnings about serious problems, and this message in a details box:
   Lintian check results for /tmp/octave_3.4.3-1_i386.deb:
   Use of uninitialized value $ENV{"HOME"} in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/lintian line 112.
   E: octave: maintainer-name-missing carbajal@ifi.uzh.ch
   Use of uninitialized value $name in pattern match (m//) at /usr/share/lintian/lib/Lintian/Check.pm line 182.

I clicked the 'Ignore and install' button. Installation completed successfully.

--- Missing libraries
When I open a terminal and type octave, I get an error message:
   octave: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This post made me think the missing library was deleted by the system update.
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Problem-with-shared-library-libhdf5-so-6-td2312412.html

'locate libhdf5' reported this
   /var/cache/apt/archives/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4_1.8.4-patch1-2ubuntu4_i386.deb
   /var/lib/dpkg/info/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4.list
   /var/lib/dpkg/info/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4.postrm

I searched the Software Center and found a libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 package. I installed it.
I tried to start Octave. It is now missing liblapack3gf. I installed it.
I also had to install libcholmod1.7.1, libumfpack5.4.0, libcxsparse.2.2.3, libqrupdate1, and libfftw3.
Octave started up.

I typed 'help inv'. I got this error message.
   sh: makeinfo: not found
   warning: help: Texinfo formatting filter exited abnormally; raw Texinfo source of help text follows...

Installed Octave again. No complaint about package quality this time.
Now 'help inv' works. But I don't feel confident that all is well.

--- Questions
I don't know what went wrong.
   Is the package missing all these dependencies?
   Did the system update remove all these missing libraries?
   Should I not have removed Octave 3.2?
None of these sound like good explanations.

   Should I not have ingored the "The package is of bad quality" message?

Re: Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:26 AM, mmesser314 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for creating the binary package to install Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu
> 11.10.
> I just tried installing it and had a few problems. I may have got Octave
> working.
> Sorry this is so verbose.
>
> My OS is 32 bit Windows Vista. I am using VMware Player to host Ubuntu
> 11.10.
> I had Octave 3.2 installed from the package provided by the Ubuntu Software
> Center.  I uninstalled it.
> Just before installing, I received a notification that a system update is
> needed. I did the update.
>
> --- Warning on install
> To get the package, I clicked on a link at the Octave project's
> http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_GNU_Linux:_Binary_Octave_packages_for_GNU_Linux#Debian_Development_Sources
> Octave for GNU Linux: Binary Octave packages for GNU Linux  page.
> I took the default choice of having the Ubuntu Software Center download the
> package.
> The Software Center popped open a dialog titled "The package is of bad
> quality". It contains dire warnings about serious problems, and this message
> in a details box:
>

> I clicked the 'Ignore and install' button. Installation completed
> successfully.
>
> --- Missing libraries
> When I open a terminal and type octave, I get an error message:
>   octave: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.6: cannot open
>
> This post made me think the missing library was deleted by the system
> update.
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Problem-with-shared-library-libhdf5-so-6-td2312412.html
>
> 'locate libhdf5' reported this
>
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4_1.8.4-patch1-2ubuntu4_i386.deb
>   /var/lib/dpkg/info/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4.list
>   /var/lib/dpkg/info/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4.postrm
>
> I searched the Software Center and found a libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 package. I
> installed it.
> I tried to start Octave. It is now missing liblapack3gf. I installed it.
> I also had to install libcholmod1.7.1, libumfpack5.4.0, libcxsparse.2.2.3,
> libqrupdate1, and libfftw3.
> Octave started up.
>
> I typed 'help inv'. I got this error message.
>   sh: makeinfo: not found
>   warning: help: Texinfo formatting filter exited abnormally; raw Texinfo
> source of help text follows...
>
> Installed Octave again. No complaint about package quality this time.
> Now 'help inv' works. But I don't feel confident that all is well.
>
> --- Questions
> I don't know what went wrong.
>   Is the package missing all these dependencies?
>   Did the system update remove all these missing libraries?
>   Should I not have removed Octave 3.2?
> None of these sound like good explanations.
>
>   Should I not have ingored the "The package is of bad quality" message?

First of all, the binaries where created using checkinstall and
therefore they are not "good" packages. So, the warning is not out of
place.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall
Starting in Feb 20, I will try to create proper packages and not this
quick fixes.

In any case I never used the software center to install it, just
> sudo dpkg -i debFileName

Finally, in the link you send to the wiki there are a series of
previous steps to follow. Like getting all the dependencies. Did you
follow these steps?
I think that if you got it running everything will be ok... and if it
doesn't you will get errors

Sorry for the inconveniences, I will create good packages a.s.a.p.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
PhD Student
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10

tmacchant
Hello

On Ubuntu 11.10, octave 3.6.0 works fine. (build by myself)
Why do not you build and make a package of octave 3.6.0?

Regards

Tatsuro

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > --
>>
>> Hi,
>> First of all, the binaries where created using checkinstall and
>> therefore they are not "good" packages. So, the warning is not out of
>> place.
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall
>> Starting in Feb 20, I will try to create proper packages and not this
>> quick fixes.
>>
>> In any case I never used the software center to install it, just
>> > sudo dpkg -i debFileName
>>
>> Finally, in the link you send to the wiki there are a series of
>> previous steps to follow. Like getting all the dependencies. Did you
>> follow these steps?
>> I think that if you got it running everything will be ok... and if it
>> doesn't you will get errors
>>
>> Sorry for the inconveniences, I will create good packages a.s.a.p.

I am waiting to be able to produce "good" packages and start
publishing them in a PPA.
Jordi will help me to learn how to do this on 20. Feb.
I hope a first package will be available short after that (I hope! I hope!)

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
PhD Student
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10

mmesser314
> First of all, the binaries where created using checkinstall and
> therefore they are not "good" packages. So, the warning is not out of
> place.
>
> Finally, in the link you send to the wiki there are a series of
> previous steps to follow. Like getting all the dependencies. Did you
> follow these steps?

That makes things clearer. The binary is not a "good" package. It is just the result of the Build From Source step of the usual installation procedure. It makes the usual procedure much quicker.

For 32 bit Ubuntu 11, the procedure becomes (Some steps may be optional.)

   Download the binary to a temporary directory.

   $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
   $ sudo apt-get build-dep octave3.2
   $ sudo dpkg -i /temporarydirectory/octave_3.4.3-1_i386.deb
   $ sudo apt-get install bison libfontconfig-dev
   $ sudo apt-get install gnuplot
   $ sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf

Re: Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10

gcordoba
I installed Octave 3.4 long time ago on my Ubuntu 11.10.
Today I needed to use the griddata function. Then, a problem appeared:

octave: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/liblapack.so.3gf: undefined symbol: ATL_idamax

I saw several bug reports about some "lookup error" and one about ATL_idamax in the web.

It seems that a library link is missed.

Please, can any of you try the griddata function? Is this bug fixed in 3.6?

Re: Octave 3.4.3 in Ubuntu 11.10

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM, gcordoba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed Octave 3.4 long time ago on my Ubuntu 11.10.
> Today I needed to use the griddata function. Then, a problem appeared:
>
> octave: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/liblapack.so.3gf: undefined symbol:
> ATL_idamax
>
> I saw several bug reports about some "lookup error" and one about ATL_idamax
> in the web.
>
> It seems that a library link is missed.
>
> Please, can any of you try the griddata function? Is this bug fixed in 3.6?

Working fine here
Octave 3.6.1, Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal