Octave 3.6.2 for Windows: Visual Studio or MinGW?

Octave 3.6.2 for Windows: Visual Studio or MinGW?

am304
Hello,

I am about to get IT to install Octave 3.6.2 on my machine (I'm not allowed to install anything myself :-)) and I noticed that there are 2 distributions of Octave 3.6.2 for Windows: Visual Studio or MinGW? Which is best? I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 64-bit if that makes any difference. CPU is Intel Xeon E5405 @ 2GHz with 10GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance,

Arnaud

Re: Octave 3.6.2 for Windows: Visual Studio or MinGW?

nrjank
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM, am304 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am about to get IT to install Octave 3.6.2 on my machine (I'm not allowed
to install anything myself :-)) and I noticed that there are 2 distributions
of Octave 3.6.2 for Windows: Visual Studio or MinGW? Which is best? I am
using Windows XP Pro SP2 64-bit if that makes any difference. CPU is Intel
Xeon E5405 @ 2GHz with 10GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance,

Arnaud

so, using the MinGW version does not actually require 'installation' per se. you download it to a folder and unzip everything into it. The Visual Studio version does use a packaged executable installer.  What I've found is that depending on folder write permissions this lets you 'install/upgrade' the version by yourself with a non-admin account. (you just download and unzip the new version to the same folder.)  If I had wanted to upgrade the visual studio version, it would require another helpdesk call. Hypothetically, upgrading the MinGW version would not. I would of course never recommend you sidestep your IT software control policies :)

nick j.

Re: Octave 3.6.2 for Windows: Visual Studio or MinGW?

am304
Thank you, yes I noticed the MinGW version is essentially a compressed archive. What about in terms of functionality, are there any differences? I noticed the Visual Studio has a GUI prototype included, which the MinGW doesn't seem to have. I am quite keen to try out the GUI so would veer towards the Visual Studio option. Are there any other major differences?

Thanks again,

Arnaud

Re: Octave 3.6.2 for Windows: Visual Studio or MinGW?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 8 November 2012 10:48, am304 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you, yes I noticed the MinGW version is essentially a compressed
> archive. What about in terms of functionality, are there any differences? I
> noticed the Visual Studio has a GUI prototype included, which the MinGW
> doesn't seem to have. I am quite keen to try out the GUI so would veer
> towards the Visual Studio option.

The GUI in that version is very alpha and I don't think it will get
you very far.

- Jordi G. H.