Quantcast

Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

12

Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

Michael Goffioul
For people interested, I've compiled the current default branch and a bunch of forge packages. The resulting installer is available at this address:

Michael.

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

vinukn
Good work.

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

vinukn
I got some error message while exporting a variable to xlsx file

Error Log:
octave:6> h=hilb(3);
octave:7> xlswrite('E:\et.xlsx',h,'h');
Creating file E:\et.xlsx
error: feval: function 'com_set' not found
error: assignment failed, or no method for 'octave_com_object = scalar'
error: called from:
error:   G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\private\__COM_spsh_open__.m at line 49, column 37
error:   G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\xlsopen.m at line 242, column 32
error:   G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\xlswrite.m at line 170, column 9

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

Daniel Sebald
On 02/23/2013 01:43 AM, vinukn wrote:

> I got some error message while exporting a variable to xlsx file
>
> Error Log:
> octave:6>  h=hilb(3);
> octave:7>  xlswrite('E:\et.xlsx',h,'h');
> Creating file E:\et.xlsx
> error: feval: function 'com_set' not found
> error: assignment failed, or no method for 'octave_com_object = scalar'
> error: called from:
> error:
> G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\private\__COM_spsh_open__.m
> at line 49, column 37
> error:   G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\xlsopen.m
> at line 242, column 32
> error:   G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\xlswrite.m
> at line 170, column 9

I would file a bug report, but can't determine if this is in the IO
package or elsewhere.  I've searched the __COM_spsh_open__.m, xlsopen.m,
and xlswrite.m files and see no "feval" anywhere.  There is nothing by
the name com_set in the main IO package files or the private subdirectory.

Philip, could you please take a look at the file

http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/11662/tree/trunk/octave-forge/main/io/inst/private/__COM_spsh_open__.m#l19

?  Note the comment calls this __COM_xlsopen.m__  (why are the
underscores after the 'm' and not the 'open'?)

## __COM_xlsopen.m__ - Internal function for opening an xls(x) file
using COM/ActiveX

but it is actually __COM_spsh_open__.m.

Where is the "actxserver" routine that gives a portal to ActiveX?

     app = actxserver ("Excel.Application");

Perhaps that is where there is an feval failing with com_set.

Dan

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Daniel J Sebald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That's an issue I noticed after building the installer. The problem lies in the windows forge package. It still used the dispatch system, but this has been removed in current development branch. So the package fails to load properly. I've released a new windows forge package yesterday, which fixes the issue, but it's not included in the binary installer I made.

If you need that functionality, I can produce an updated installer for the windows forge package.

Michael.

On 02/23/2013 07:45 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Daniel J Sebald <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/23/2013 01:43 AM, vinukn wrote:
>
>         I got some error message while exporting a variable to xlsx file
>
>         Error Log:
>         octave:6>  h=hilb(3);
>         octave:7>  xlswrite('E:\et.xlsx',h,'h');
>         Creating file E:\et.xlsx
>           error: feval: function 'com_set' not found
>         error: assignment failed, or no method for 'octave_com_object =
>         scalar'
>         error: called from:
>         error:
>         G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\__share\octave\packages\io-1.2.__0\private\__COM_spsh_open__.m
>         at line 49, column 37
>         error:
>         G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\__share\octave\packages\io-1.2.__0\xlsopen.m
>         at line 242, column 32
>         error:
>         G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\__share\octave\packages\io-1.2.__0\xlswrite.m
>         at line 170, column 9
>

>     I would file a bug report, but can't determine if this is in the IO
>     package or elsewhere.  I've searched the __COM_spsh_open__.m,
>     xlsopen.m, and xlswrite.m files and see no "feval" anywhere.  There
>     is nothing by the name com_set in the main IO package files or the
>     private subdirectory.
>
>     Philip, could you please take a look at the file
>
>     http://sourceforge.net/p/__octave/code/11662/tree/trunk/__octave-forge/main/io/inst/__private/__COM_spsh_open__.m#__l19
>     <http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/11662/tree/trunk/octave-forge/main/io/inst/private/__COM_spsh_open__.m#l19>
>
>     ?  Note the comment calls this __COM_xlsopen.m__  (why are the
>     underscores after the 'm' and not the 'open'?)
>
>     ## __COM_xlsopen.m__ - Internal function for opening an xls(x) file
>     using COM/ActiveX
>
>     but it is actually __COM_spsh_open__.m.
>
>     Where is the "actxserver" routine that gives a portal to ActiveX?
>
>          app = actxserver ("Excel.Application");
>
>     Perhaps that is where there is an feval failing with com_set.
>

> That's an issue I noticed after building the installer. The problem lies
> in the windows forge package. It still used the dispatch system, but
> this has been removed in current development branch. So the package
> fails to load properly. I've released a new windows forge package
> yesterday, which fixes the issue, but it's not included in the binary
> installer I made.
>
> If you need that functionality, I can produce an updated installer for
> the windows forge package.
>
> Michael.

I don't need that functionality at the moment since I don't use Windows
much.  But it begs the question about creating and reading Excel files
on Linux machines.  The ActiveX approach is very creative, but isn't
portable.  What if some user of Linux wants to work with a group of
Windows users who are utilizing XLS files?

Dan

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

AFAIK, Philip has built some smart detection system in the io package that will use the best method available. Under Linux, there are a couple of Java-based solutions that can be used by the io package. Philip can probably elaborate more on this, it is briefly described in:

Michael.

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

Philip Nienhuis
(Sorry just back from a week's holiday w/o much Internet - so a "real" holiday)

Daniel Sebald wrote
On 02/23/2013 01:43 AM, vinukn wrote:
> I got some error message while exporting a variable to xlsx file
>
> Error Log:
> octave:6>  h=hilb(3);
> octave:7>  xlswrite('E:\et.xlsx',h,'h');
> Creating file E:\et.xlsx
> error: feval: function 'com_set' not found
> error: assignment failed, or no method for 'octave_com_object = scalar'
> error: called from:
> error:
> G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\private\__COM_spsh_open__.m
> at line 49, column 37
> error:   G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\xlsopen.m
> at line 242, column 32
> error:   G:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\share\octave\packages\io-1.2.0\xlswrite.m
> at line 170, column 9

I would file a bug report, but can't determine if this is in the IO
package or elsewhere.  I've searched the __COM_spsh_open__.m, xlsopen.m,
and xlswrite.m files and see no "feval" anywhere.  There is nothing by
the name com_set in the main IO package files or the private subdirectory.
This was a long standing issue in the windows package - for a very long time "pkg load windows" yielded complaints about the deprecated dispatch() functions. IIRC I have reported this quite a while ago (can't find the post right now) to Michael Goffioul & the old OctDev mailing list.

I didn't know (or took notice) that these functions have finally been dropped in 3.7.x.
That (dropping dispatch() etc) might also explain why I couldn't get the Windows package to work in the MXE builds (I just assumed that was one of the low-priority rough edges of the MXE build that could be ironed out in a later stage).

Anyway, as outlined in another post in this thread, Michael has found time to fix this.

Philip, could you please take a look at the file

http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/11662/tree/trunk/octave-forge/main/io/inst/private/__COM_spsh_open__.m#l19

?  Note the comment calls this __COM_xlsopen.m__  (why are the
underscores after the 'm' and not the 'open'?)
## __COM_xlsopen.m__ - Internal function for opening an xls(x) file
using COM/ActiveX

but it is actually __COM_spsh_open__.m.
Ah a typo, thanks for catching that.

Where is the "actxserver" routine that gives a portal to ActiveX?

     app = actxserver ("Excel.Application");

Perhaps that is where there is an feval failing with com_set.
You hit it right on the nose. It's in the windows pkg.

Philip

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

Philip Nienhuis
Michael Goffioul wrote
On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Daniel J Sebald <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 02/23/2013 07:45 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Daniel J Sebald <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]**>> wrote:
:
<snip>
:
>> If you need that functionality, I can produce an updated installer for
>> the windows forge package.
>>
>> Michael.
>>

> I don't need that functionality at the moment since I don't use Windows
> much.  But it begs the question about creating and reading Excel files on
> Linux machines.  The ActiveX approach is very creative, but isn't portable.
>  What if some user of Linux wants to work with a group of Windows users who
> are utilizing XLS files?

AFAIK, Philip has built some smart detection system in the io package that
will use the best method available. Under Linux, there are a couple of
Java-based solutions that can be used by the io package. Philip can
probably elaborate more on this, it is briefly described in:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/io/function/xlsopen.html
The Java based spreadsheet I/O solutions ("interfaces") are supposed to work under any OS where both Octave and Java are running, not just Linux, and not just .xls(x) but also .ods and other file types supported by the interface at hand.

There's much more info on the supported interfaces in the README files in the <io>/doc subdir. Unfortunately still in html, because I haven't found time to prioritize learning texinfo, sorry.

(There used to be a html2tex thing somewhere on the web I thought I could use as a start but I can't find it anymore - that is, in a form usable for me. I just need something simple like "html2tex in=*.html out=*.tex, without needing to install GB's of dependency junk just to only once convert two 35 KB files.
Anyway I think these html files should be edited (by me of course) before they're amenable for texinfo on-line documentation. They currently are a bit too verbose, probably because they mainly serve as my own documentation.)

Philip

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

Philip Nienhuis
Michael Goffioul wrote
On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Daniel J Sebald <[hidden email]>wrote:
:
<snip>
:
> Where is the "actxserver" routine that gives a portal to ActiveX?
>
>     app = actxserver ("Excel.Application");
>
> Perhaps that is where there is an feval failing with com_set.

That's an issue I noticed after building the installer. The problem lies in
the windows forge package. It still used the dispatch system, but this has
been removed in current development branch. So the package fails to load
properly. I've released a new windows forge package yesterday, which fixes
the issue, but it's not included in the binary installer I made.

If you need that functionality, I can produce an updated installer for the
windows forge package.
That, or a separate MSVC windows package like you made for 3.6.2, would be much appreciated.

Thanks Michael for this binary and for fixing the windows package,

Philip

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

Paul Soderlind
Michael,

thanks for putting  together this.

Here is a problem report: on Win7 (32 bit), it starts fine and I can do calculations and plots. However, as soon as I try the menu (at the top), then I get the message: "QAaccesibleWidget::rect: This implementation does not support subelements..."

After that, I cannot exit Octave (except from the task manager).

Best,

Paul Söderlind

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Paul Soderlind <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael,

thanks for putting  together this.

Here is a problem report: on Win7 (32 bit), it starts fine and I can do
calculations and plots. However, as soon as I try the menu (at the top),
then I get the message: "QAaccesibleWidget::rect: This implementation does
not support subelements..."

After that, I cannot exit Octave (except from the task manager).

I don't know what's going on here, I can't reproduce the issue on WinXP 32 bits. I've never used the Qt accessibility framework. Is accessibility somehow enabled on your system?

Michael.

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

Paul Soderlind
Michael,

trying the same thing on a Win7/64bit machine produces no error messages from the GUI menu, but exit fails.

Without the GUI, things seem better.

No, I have no idea about that Qt stuff. Nothing I have installed (to the best of my knowledge).

/Paul Söderlind

Steph Bredenhann

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

PhilipNienhuis
Michael,

Philip Nienhuis wrote
Michael Goffioul wrote
On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Daniel J Sebald <[hidden email]>wrote:
:
<snip>
:
> Where is the "actxserver" routine that gives a portal to ActiveX?
>
>     app = actxserver ("Excel.Application");
>
> Perhaps that is where there is an feval failing with com_set.

That's an issue I noticed after building the installer. The problem lies in
the windows forge package. It still used the dispatch system, but this has
been removed in current development branch. So the package fails to load
properly. I've released a new windows forge package yesterday, which fixes
the issue, but it's not included in the binary installer I made.

If you need that functionality, I can produce an updated installer for the
windows forge package.
That, or a separate MSVC windows package like you made for 3.6.2, would be much appreciated.
The current io package v. 1.2.0 probably won't work very well with the Java classes as the autoboxing stuff has changed when the Java package was integrated into core Octave.
io-1.2.0 only works reliably in the stable Octave versions.

By now I've got an io package version where almost all of these issues have been ironed out (mostly removing ".doubleValue()"  method invocations + amendments to Java detection & validation), which would work better with the experimental 3.7.1+ Octave versions. At least the test scripts for .ods and .xls do work for all Java interfaces except UNO and OXS.

If you agree with it I can send you this development version (provisionally io-1.3.0) to make an MSVC2010 package with it (I have no room for the MSVC dev stuff (> 2.3 GB) on my Windows boxes so I can't build binary MSVC packages) or include it in an updated binary .
I haven't committed the changes to SVN yet as the current io pkg version still must work with stable Octave (yes a good case for OF package branches).

Philip

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

forkandwait
Michael Goffioul <michael.goffioul <at> gmail.com> writes:

> For people interested, I've compiled the current default branch and a bunch of
forge packages.

That is very nice!  The only bugginess I can find is that in the terminal the
cursor is weirdly far to the right of where the character gets placed during
typing and jumps in a strange way when matching parens.

The problem with fltk crashing *seems* to be gone!

I am running some newish standard version of windows (yuck -- I refuse to learn
the difference between 7,8,XP,Vista, whatever)...

Thanks for doing this!

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM, forkandwait <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael Goffioul <michael.goffioul <at> gmail.com> writes:

> For people interested, I've compiled the current default branch and a bunch of
forge packages.

That is very nice!  The only bugginess I can find is that in the terminal the
cursor is weirdly far to the right of where the character gets placed during
typing and jumps in a strange way when matching parens.

This typically occurs when the terminal font is not monospace. In the preferences dialog, go to the terminal tab and select a monospace font (like "Courier New" or "Lucida Console").

Michael.

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

forkandwait
Michael Goffioul <michael.goffioul <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This typically occurs when the terminal font is not monospace. In the
> preferences dialog, go to the terminal tab and select a monospace font
> (like "Courier New" or "Lucida Console").

Courier New still had the same problem, but Lucida Console looks great.
Not sure why, but I can experiment and report if you have any ideas.

It might be due to non-integer font metrics. I'm still using WinXP 32 bits and I don't recall having any problem with "Courier New" font. See this for reference: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/102899/

Michael.

Re: Octave-3.7.2+/Windows [VS2010] available

Júlio Hoffimann
I have tested the installer, sweet! Octave will gain a lot of terrain with it.

Best,
Júlio.