Octave 3.8.1 print to file problem

Michael Auinger
Hi all,

Sorry for this (maybe) naive question, but I have a problem when using the print command to get a file (jpg, eps, png, pdf,...)

Using the script:
==========================
clf;
graphics_toolkit('gnuplot');
colormap('default');
contourf(sombrero(),'linestyle','none');
print -djpg -color 'test.jpg';
==========================

shows the on-screen output without contour lines, but when opening the saved file, the lines are still there.
No change with using "saveas" instead or switching the graphics_toolkit to "fltk"

Am I forgetting something or is it due to a problem with the graphics card (nVidia, v304.131) / Octave (v3.8.1) / GNUplot (gnuplot4.6 patchlevel 4) / Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)?
Problem exists for both Qt and GNU version of Octave...

Thank you very much in advance!
Michael

Re: Octave 3.8.1 print to file problem

Sebastian Schöps
Michael Auinger wrote
==========================

clf;
graphics_toolkit('gnuplot');
colormap('default');
contourf(sombrero(),'linestyle','none');
print -djpg -color 'test.jpg';

==========================
[...]
Am I forgetting something or is it due to a problem with the graphics card (nVidia, v304.131) / Octave (v3.8.1) / GNUplot (gnuplot4.6 patchlevel 4) / Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)?
Problem exists for both Qt and GNU version of Octave...
No, your code is correct. It should give you a file "test.jpg" in the current working directory. Maybe there is something wrong with your Octave installation. I suggest that you update Octave to a more recent version (>=4.0.0). You can get it for Ubuntu for example from here:

https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/ubuntu/stable

Sebastian

Re: Octave 3.8.1 print to file problem

tmacchant
--- Sesc

> Michael Auinger wrote
> > ==========================
> >
> > clf;
> > graphics_toolkit('gnuplot');
> > colormap('default');
> > contourf(sombrero(),'linestyle','none');
> > print -djpg -color 'test.jpg';
> >
> > ==========================
> > [...]
> > Am I forgetting something or is it due to a problem with the graphics card
> > (nVidia, v304.131) / Octave (v3.8.1) / GNUplot (gnuplot4.6 patchlevel 4) /
> > Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)?
> > Problem exists for both Qt and GNU version of Octave...
>
> No, your code is correct. It should give you a file "test.jpg" in the
> current working directory. Maybe there is something wrong with your Octave
> installation. I suggest that you update Octave to a more recent version
> (>=4.0.0). You can get it for Ubuntu for example from here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/ubuntu/stable
>
> Sebastian

As  Sebastian wrote, you clear install the recent
octave by

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:octave/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install octave

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 3.8.1 print to file problem

Mahdi Habibi Doost
Hi all,

I have a similar problem. The output file with "print" command does not completely similar to the output figure of Octave. The fonts and the linewidth of the plot is changed! I use Octave 4.0.0.

thanks in advance

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:43 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

--- Sesc

> Michael Auinger wrote
> > ==========================
> >
> > clf;
> > graphics_toolkit('gnuplot');
> > colormap('default');
> > contourf(sombrero(),'linestyle','none');
> > print -djpg -color 'test.jpg';
> >
> > ==========================
> > [...]
> > Am I forgetting something or is it due to a problem with the graphics card
> > (nVidia, v304.131) / Octave (v3.8.1) / GNUplot (gnuplot4.6 patchlevel 4) /
> > Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)?
> > Problem exists for both Qt and GNU version of Octave...
>
> No, your code is correct. It should give you a file "test.jpg" in the
> current working directory. Maybe there is something wrong with your Octave
> installation. I suggest that you update Octave to a more recent version
> (>=4.0.0). You can get it for Ubuntu for example from here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/ubuntu/stable
>
> Sebastian

As  Sebastian wrote, you clear install the recent
octave by

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:octave/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install octave

Tatsuro

Re: Re: Octave 3.8.1 print to file problem

tmacchant
please reply at the bottom. It is custom on this list.

> > Michael Auinger wrote
> > > ==========================
> > >
> > > clf
> > > graphics_toolkit('gnuplot');
> > > colormap('default');
> > > contourf(sombrero(),'linestyle','none');
> > > print -djpg -color 'test.jpg';
> > >
> > > ==========================
> > > [...]
> > > Am I forgetting something or is it due to a problem with the graphics card
> > > (nVidia, v304.131) / Octave (v3.8.1) / GNUplot (gnuplot4.6 patchlevel 4) /
> > > Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)?
> > > Problem exists for both Qt and GNU version of Octave...
> >
> > No, your code is correct. It should give you a file "test.jpg" in the
> > current working directory. Maybe there is something wrong with your Octave
> > installation. I suggest that you update Octave to a more recent version
> > (>=4.0.0). You can get it for Ubuntu for example from here:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/ubuntu/stable
> >
> > Sebastian
> >
> As  Sebastian wrote, you clear install the recent
> octave by
>
> sudo apt-add-repository ppa:octave/stable
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install octave
>

> Hi all,
>
> I have a similar problem. The output file with "print" command does not completely similar to the output figure of Octave. The fonts and the linewidth of the plot is changed! I use Octave 4.0.0.

Please describe your platform (ubuntu etcs. and version number), used  graphics toolkit, and gnuplot version.

Does the script by the Michael reproduce the bug on your case?

Tatsuro