Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

swope
Hi, I'm looking for help installing Octave 4.2.1 in OS X El Capitan (10.11) using Homebrew. I used `brew install octave` without flags.

When I try to run Octave I see some _Welcome to Octave!_ popups, then a very vague `octave exited with signal 11` and no command window.

On the bright side, running `octave --no-gui` works, and `sombrero` pops open a figure. However, there is a warning: `warning: opengl_renderer: Error 1286 occurred in init_gl_context`

I have XQuartz 2.7.11 (xorg-server 1.18.4), gnuplot 5.0.6, and qt 5.9.0.

Any ideas for what I should be looking at next?

Thanks.

Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

tmacchant
--- nelson.brown

> Hi, I'm looking for help installing Octave 4.2.1 in OS X El Capitan (10.11)
> using Homebrew. I used `brew install octave` without flags.
>
> When I try to run Octave I see some _Welcome to Octave!_ popups, then a very
> vague `octave exited with signal 11` and no command window.
>
> On the bright side, running `octave --no-gui` works, and `sombrero` pops
> open a figure. However, there is a warning: `warning: opengl_renderer: Error
> 1286 occurred in init_gl_context`
>
> I have XQuartz 2.7.11 (xorg-server 1.18.4), gnuplot 5.0.6, and qt 5.9.0.
>
> Any ideas for what I should be looking at next?

I am not a mac user.

The error that you meet perhaps comes from in compatibility of opengl based graphics toolkit with opengl driver or hardware.

Try gnuplot graphics toolkit instead.

>> graphics_toolkit gnuplot

before you plot something.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

Sebastian Schöps

the gui does not work on the Mac. This is known since quite some time and there are bug reports on it. It seems to work for some installations. I will give some hints in the following.

swope wrote
Hi, I'm looking for help installing Octave 4.2.1 in OS X El Capitan (10.11) using Homebrew. I used `brew install octave` without flags.
Make sure before that you have the latest version of all dependencies "brew update; brew upgrade". Possibly, to make sure there is nothing wrong with qt: "brew reinstall qt" and "brew reinstall pyqt". It may also help to remove old versions "brew cleanup" before continuing. Finally, you may want to try to compile from source "brew install octave --build-from-source --with-qt5".

swope wrote
On the bright side, running `octave --no-gui` works, and `sombrero` pops open a figure. However, there is a warning: `warning: opengl_renderer: Error 1286 occurred in init_gl_context`
The warning is save to be ignored.

swope wrote
I have XQuartz 2.7.11 (xorg-server 1.18.4), gnuplot 5.0.6, and qt 5.9.0.
You de not need X11 for Octave. If you want gnuplot support, make sure to install octave with "--with-gnuplot". ASFAIK qt 5.9 is super recent, I am not sure if octave was ever successfully compiled with it. I will also give it try...

Seb.

Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

Sebastian Schöps
Sebastian Schöps wrote
swope wrote
I have XQuartz 2.7.11 (xorg-server 1.18.4), gnuplot 5.0.6, and qt 5.9.0.
You de not need X11 for Octave. If you want gnuplot support, make sure to install octave with "--with-gnuplot". ASFAIK qt 5.9 is super recent, I am not sure if octave was ever successfully compiled with it. I will also give it try...
Just checked: homebrew still uses qt 5.7 for Octave. It seems qt5.8 is incompatible [1]. So you need both (homebrew will take care of that). To make sure that your qt5.7 is good, you may do "brew reinstall qt@5.7". However, I suggest to open a bug report at homebrew...

Sebastian

[1] https://github.com/qgis/homebrew-qgisdev/issues/22

Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

swope
Thank for the tips, but I'm still having the same trouble. At this point I'm going to give up on trying to use the Octave gui, and simply use the --no-gui option.

the gui does not work on the Mac. This is known since quite some time and there are bug reports on it. It seems to work for some installations. I will give some hints in the following.

My colleague with the same generation MacBook and El Capitan has the Octave gui working with no problem, so I was hoping for similar luck.

Make sure before that you have the latest version of all dependencies "brew update; brew upgrade". Possibly, to make sure there is nothing wrong with qt: "brew reinstall qt" and "brew reinstall pyqt". It may also help to remove old versions "brew cleanup" before continuing. Finally, you may want to try to compile from source "brew install octave --build-from-source --with-qt5".

While compiling from source, I saw:

`Warning: homebrew/science/octave: this formula has no --with-qt5 option so it will be ignored!`
`Warning: homebrew/science/octave dependency gcc was built with a different C++ standard library (libstdc++ from clang). This may cause problems at runtime.`

The warning is save to be ignored.

Good to know. So for now I will use Octave in no-gui mode. Maybe I'll re-visit in a few months' time.

Cheers.
Nelson

I reinstalled with qt@5.7, but I'm having the same problems with the Octave gui.

Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

swope
I prefer the qt plots, so for now I'm going to use the --no-gui mode instead of gnuplot.

Re: Octave 4.2.1 gui won't launch on OS X El Capitan 10.11

vicnorton

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 12:40 PM, swope <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I prefer the qt plots, so for now I'm going to use the --no-gui mode instead
> of gnuplot.

I think you must be confused here. I too prefer qt plots, but gnuplot produces the best octave qt plots--in my opinion.

I am running Homebrew Octave on Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.5.

In my ~/.bash_profile file I specify
  alias octave='octave-cli --no-window-system’
I never run anything but octave-cli.

My ~/.octaverc file specifies
  graphics_toolkit gnuplot;
  setenv GNUTERM qt;

All my octave graphics are done by gnuplot, and I do a lot of pretty elaborate graphics.

-
Vic