Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid

José Luis García Pallero
Hello:

I'm trying to compile Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid and the ./configure
detects that QScintilla library is not found. I think it looks for
libqscintilla2.so, but Debian Sid repos contain libqscintilla-qt4-dev
and libqscintilla-qt5-dev, which provide the libraries
libqscintilla2_qt4.so and libqscintilla2_qt5.so. There is also a
package called libqscintilla2-12v5, but there is not the correspondent
-dev package with the headers. So I think octave 4.2.2 can't be
installed in Debian Sid using only the repositories packages. Am I
right?

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 22:42:06 +0100, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> I'm trying to compile Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid and the ./configure
> detects that QScintilla library is not found. I think it looks for
> libqscintilla2.so, but Debian Sid repos contain libqscintilla-qt4-dev
> and libqscintilla-qt5-dev, which provide the libraries
> libqscintilla2_qt4.so and libqscintilla2_qt5.so. There is also a
> package called libqscintilla2-12v5, but there is not the correspondent
> -dev package with the headers. So I think octave 4.2.2 can't be
> installed in Debian Sid using only the repositories packages. Am I
> right?

It can be built by overriding the name of the Qscintilla2 library.

The Debian source package does this by patching the configure script,
see

https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/octave/blob/master/debian/patches/qscintilla-rename.patch

I have also done this locally by passing the variable
octave_cv_lib_qscintilla to configure, as in

    ../configure --with-blas=blas octave_cv_lib_qscintilla=-lqscintilla2_qt5

which is how I am building 4.2.2 at this moment.

HTH,

Re: Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid

Sébastien Villemot-2
On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 02:56:45PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 22:42:06 +0100, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid and the ./configure
> > detects that QScintilla library is not found. I think it looks for
> > libqscintilla2.so, but Debian Sid repos contain libqscintilla-qt4-dev
> > and libqscintilla-qt5-dev, which provide the libraries
> > libqscintilla2_qt4.so and libqscintilla2_qt5.so. There is also a
> > package called libqscintilla2-12v5, but there is not the correspondent
> > -dev package with the headers. So I think octave 4.2.2 can't be
> > installed in Debian Sid using only the repositories packages. Am I
> > right?
>
> It can be built by overriding the name of the Qscintilla2 library.
>
> The Debian source package does this by patching the configure script,
> see
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/octave/blob/master/debian/patches/qscintilla-rename.patch
This patch was needed for Octave 4.2.1, but this is no longer the case for
4.2.2, which is able to correctly detect libqscintilla2_qt5 (verified on Debian
Sid).

José: the full list of build dependencies of the official Octave package in
Debian Sid can be found on this page:

 https://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/octave

Are you sure you have installed all the Qt packages listed there?

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer

Re: Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:12:46 +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> This patch was needed for Octave 4.2.1, but this is no longer the case for
> 4.2.2, which is able to correctly detect libqscintilla2_qt5 (verified on Debian
> Sid).

Thanks for the correction.

However, 4.2.2 is missing a list of alternate library names for the Qt 4
variant of Qscintilla2, it only looks for the name libqscintilla2. This
is likely the case that José has run into.

This will be fixed in 4.4.0. However, we do highly recommend building
Octave with Qt 5 from now on, as long as your distribution includes it.