Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

12

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

roland65
John W. Eaton wrote
 Or maybe we could work more
toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system.  Contact me
privately and we can discuss it further.
Thanks for you detailed and argumented answer. I understand the technical limitations and respect your position, of course.

I'm not much aware of the various ways to distribute system independent binaries (I only know the static binaries way). So what is the purpose of mxe-octave?

And do you think that snap or flatpack packages could be a solution?

Thanks!

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

Sergei Steshenko

________________________________
> toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system.  Contact me
> privately and we can discuss it further.

Thanks for you detailed and argumented answer. I understand the technical
limitations and respect your position, of course.

I'm not much aware of the various ways to distribute system independent
binaries (I only know the static binaries way). So what is the purpose of
mxe-octave?

And do you think that snap or flatpack packages could be a solution?

Thanks!

Does Octave for Windows work under Wine ?

--Sergei.

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

tmacchant
>>  toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system.
> Contact me
>>  privately and we can discuss it further.
>
> Thanks for you detailed and argumented answer. I understand the technical
> limitations and respect your position, of course.
>
> I'm not much aware of the various ways to distribute system independent
> binaries (I only know the static binaries way). So what is the purpose of
> mxe-octave?
>
> And do you think that snap or flatpack packages could be a solution?
>
> Thanks!

> So what is the purpose of mxe-octave?

I am not a mxe-octave maintainer but a user.

http://wiki.octave.org/MXE

According to the above wiki,

The purpose is

Based on the MXE project there is an MXE-Octave fork available to allow
cross compiling Octave to various target systems.

For linux, not cross build but native build.

************************

For linux, almost dependencies are build from source.

Therefore build binaries almost not depends not libraries from distribution.

I used mxe-octave for linux for two purpose.

1. Build octave on rather old version distribution (e.g. ubuntu 14.04)
Some dependency libraries on old version distribution is too old to build
the current octave.
In the case, MXE octave is useful.

I have not tested but destination directory can be copied to other PC on the same version and same distro.

2. Build octave with large arrays.
octave with large arrays requires fortran dependencies with 64bit index.
(The current dev branch source seems to allow to use 32 bit libraries.)

In that case, MXE octave is useful.

***************************

For cross-build for windows, MXE-octave can made an installer and zip archives with octave-forge packages.
But for linux, as far as I know, such feature does not exist.
But I feel that it can be extended for linux.

Regards

Tatsuro

OK, I understand. Thanks for the explanations. I'll try it...

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

roland65
Seems I'm not alone in this story...

I've found this : https://github.com/probonopd/AppImages/issues/120

And yes, building a cross distribution binary version seems to be complicated !

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

Cameron Taggart
I tried out Flatpak, Snap, and AppImage. Flatpak appears to be pulling ahead and it was my favorite. What really sold me on it was that MonoDevelop has adopted it for its previews [1]. I tried it out and it worked great.

My hope, was that I'd be able to host my build of Octave here in my S3 and then I could run it from any supported Linux.

flatpak install --from https://s3.amazonaws.com/ctaggart/flatpak/octave
flatpak run org.gnu.Octave

I got Octave 4.2.1 source building on Ubuntu 17.04, but that is as far as I got. I ran through the Flatpak tutorial and looked at a bunch of the examples [2].

Unfortunately, I need to put this aside and find a new remote job. :-/

Distributing nightlies and official builds via Flatpak would be awesome for Octave users.

cheers,
Cameron

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM, roland65 <[hidden email]> wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote
>  Or maybe we could work more
> toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system.  Contact me
> privately and we can discuss it further.

Thanks for you detailed and argumented answer. I understand the technical
limitations and respect your position, of course.

I'm not much aware of the various ways to distribute system independent
binaries (I only know the static binaries way). So what is the purpose of
mxe-octave?

And do you think that snap or flatpack packages could be a solution?

Thanks!

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 21:53:02 +0300, Cameron Taggart wrote:
> Distributing nightlies and official builds via Flatpak would be awesome for
> Octave users.

Just a reminder / plug that I am already providing close-to-daily builds
of Octave in the form of a Docker container.

  https://hub.docker.com/r/mtmiller/octave-snapshot/

There may also be an audience for the same in Flatpak format, and if so,
might be nice to combine efforts.

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

Cameron Taggart
I didn't know about that Docker container yet. Great job! Yes, matching Flatpak and Docker containers would be ideal. I think creating a Flatpak may be more difficult if a bunch of the dependencies have to also be built also. tbd.

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 21:53:02 +0300, Cameron Taggart wrote:
> Distributing nightlies and official builds via Flatpak would be awesome for
> Octave users.

Just a reminder / plug that I am already providing close-to-daily builds
of Octave in the form of a Docker container.

  https://hub.docker.com/r/mtmiller/octave-snapshot/

There may also be an audience for the same in Flatpak format, and if so,
might be nice to combine efforts.

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

alexander-wilms
Hi everyone,

I created a Flatpak of Octave a while back. So far the only issue I noticed is that it freezes when trying to plot using the Qt backend.

The package will be added to Flathub (https://flathub.org/) in a few weeks, as soon as the KDE runtime is available there as well: https://github.com/flathub/flathub/pull/49

If you want to try it, you can clone https://github.com/Alexander-Wilms/flathub, switch to the org.gnu.Octave branch, initialize the submodule and run

flatpak remote-add kderuntime --from http://distribute.kde.org/kderuntime.flatpakrepo
flatpak install kderuntime org.kde.Platform 5.9
flatpak install kderuntime org.kde.Sdk 5.9
flatpak-builder --repo=octave-repo octave org.gnu.Octave.json
flatpak remote-add --no-gpg-verify octave-repo octave-repo
flatpak install octave-repo org.gnu.Octave
flatpak run org.gnu.Octave

If any Octave developer is interested, he could get push-access to the Flathub repository.

Kind regards,

Alexander Wilms

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

alexander-wilms

Hi again,

I just found this bug report: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?51442

Adding the environment variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 works around the plotting bug.

Regards

On 19.08.2017 19:04, alexander-wilms wrote:
[...]

Nice work Alexander!

It would be great if the distribution mechanism for gnu.org software could now be figured out. It would be great to have a place for official versioned builds, so that all we would have to do is:

sudo flatpak install https://distribute.gnu.org/octave.flatpakref

Or even just:
sudo flatpak install https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/octave.flatpakref

A flatpakref just points to the place to download the files with a gpg to verify the software. It could be a gnu.org server or simply Amazon S3.

I spent a couple of days figuring out how to host the flatpak on Amazon S3. I put together a presentation and video, which you can get the links from my blog post:
http://blog.ctaggart.com/2017/08/distributing-rust-gtk-apps.html

This shows how to make this:
sudo flatpak install https://s3.amazonaws.com/ctaggart/flatpak/gtk-rs-examples.flatpakref

Using flatpak, there would no longer be delays for Linux builds and you could update this page:
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 6:51 AM, Alexander Wilms <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Cameron!

Yes, providing an official .flatpakref file would be very nice. I
submitted a patch that adds the manifest [1], so I guess now it just
depends on whether the other Octave developers are sympathetic to this.

Regards

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9440

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 10:04:05 -0700, alexander-wilms wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I created a Flatpak of Octave a while back. So far the only issue I noticed
> is that it freezes when trying to plot using the Qt backend.
>
> The package will be added to Flathub (https://flathub.org/) in a few weeks,
> as soon as the KDE runtime is available there as well:
> https://github.com/flathub/flathub/pull/49
>
> If you want to try it, you can clone
> https://github.com/Alexander-Wilms/flathub, switch to the org.gnu.Octave
> branch, initialize the submodule and run
>
> flatpak remote-add kderuntime --from
> http://distribute.kde.org/kderuntime.flatpakrepo
> flatpak install kderuntime org.kde.Platform 5.9
> flatpak install kderuntime org.kde.Sdk 5.9
> flatpak-builder --repo=octave-repo octave org.gnu.Octave.json
> flatpak remote-add --no-gpg-verify octave-repo octave-repo
> flatpak install octave-repo org.gnu.Octave
> flatpak run org.gnu.Octave
I think it would be better if you didn't name your package "org.gnu" or
"org.octave". Can you put it under a name that you own until it is
somehow vetted or incorporated into the official Octave distribution?

I admittedly don't know much about the naming schemes or the typical
process for adding an application to the registry. But it does not seem
right to me to try to publish a binary distrubtion of Octave under the
name "org.gnu" without permission to use that name.

If I were you I would name it "com.github.Alexander-Wilms.Octave", until
something more official can be resolved.

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

alexander-wilms

Hi,

I've closed the pull request. Flathub is supposed to deliver packages provided by upstream, or at least they should use the proper ID, so publishing it under another ID is not really desired.

Regards

On 20.08.2017 16:46, Mike Miller-4 [via Octave] wrote:
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 10:04:05 -0700, alexander-wilms wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I created a Flatpak of Octave a while back. So far the only issue I noticed
> is that it freezes when trying to plot using the Qt backend.
>
> The package will be added to Flathub (https://flathub.org/) in a few weeks,
> as soon as the KDE runtime is available there as well:
> https://github.com/flathub/flathub/pull/49
>
> If you want to try it, you can clone
> https://github.com/Alexander-Wilms/flathub, switch to the org.gnu.Octave
> branch, initialize the submodule and run
>
> flatpak remote-add kderuntime --from
> http://distribute.kde.org/kderuntime.flatpakrepo
> flatpak install kderuntime org.kde.Platform 5.9
> flatpak install kderuntime org.kde.Sdk 5.9
> flatpak-builder --repo=octave-repo octave org.gnu.Octave.json
> flatpak remote-add --no-gpg-verify octave-repo octave-repo
> flatpak install octave-repo org.gnu.Octave
> flatpak run org.gnu.Octave
I think it would be better if you didn't name your package "org.gnu" or
"org.octave". Can you put it under a name that you own until it is
somehow vetted or incorporated into the official Octave distribution?

I admittedly don't know much about the naming schemes or the typical
process for adding an application to the registry. But it does not seem
right to me to try to publish a binary distrubtion of Octave under the
name "org.gnu" without permission to use that name.

If I were you I would name it "com.github.Alexander-Wilms.Octave", until
something more official can be resolved.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-4-2-binary-all-packages-in-Linux-tp4682832p4684567.html
To unsubscribe from Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?, click here.
NAML

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 08:14:48 -0700, alexander-wilms wrote:
> I've closed the pull request. Flathub is supposed to deliver packages
> provided by upstream, or at least they should use the proper ID, so
> publishing it under another ID is not really desired.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I encourage you to continue working
with us, preferably on the maintainers list, to help make the
incorporation of Octave into the Flatpak repository a reality.

12