Quantcast

Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

12

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

roland65
John W. Eaton wrote
 Or maybe we could work more
toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system.  Contact me
privately and we can discuss it further.
Thanks for you detailed and argumented answer. I understand the technical limitations and respect your position, of course.

I'm not much aware of the various ways to distribute system independent binaries (I only know the static binaries way). So what is the purpose of mxe-octave?

And do you think that snap or flatpack packages could be a solution?

Thanks!

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

Sergei Steshenko

________________________________
> toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system.  Contact me
> privately and we can discuss it further.

Thanks for you detailed and argumented answer. I understand the technical
limitations and respect your position, of course.

I'm not much aware of the various ways to distribute system independent
binaries (I only know the static binaries way). So what is the purpose of
mxe-octave?

And do you think that snap or flatpack packages could be a solution?

Thanks!

Does Octave for Windows work under Wine ?

--Sergei.

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

tmacchant
>>  toward a "universal binary" that would work on any system.
> Contact me
>>  privately and we can discuss it further.
>
> Thanks for you detailed and argumented answer. I understand the technical
> limitations and respect your position, of course.
>
> I'm not much aware of the various ways to distribute system independent
> binaries (I only know the static binaries way). So what is the purpose of
> mxe-octave?
>
> And do you think that snap or flatpack packages could be a solution?
>
> Thanks!

> So what is the purpose of mxe-octave?

I am not a mxe-octave maintainer but a user.

http://wiki.octave.org/MXE

According to the above wiki,

The purpose is

Based on the MXE project there is an MXE-Octave fork available to allow
cross compiling Octave to various target systems.

For linux, not cross build but native build.

************************

For linux, almost dependencies are build from source.

Therefore build binaries almost not depends not libraries from distribution.

I used mxe-octave for linux for two purpose.

1. Build octave on rather old version distribution (e.g. ubuntu 14.04)
Some dependency libraries on old version distribution is too old to build
the current octave.
In the case, MXE octave is useful.

I have not tested but destination directory can be copied to other PC on the same version and same distro.

2. Build octave with large arrays.
octave with large arrays requires fortran dependencies with 64bit index.
(The current dev branch source seems to allow to use 32 bit libraries.)

In that case, MXE octave is useful.

***************************

For cross-build for windows, MXE-octave can made an installer and zip archives with octave-forge packages.
But for linux, as far as I know, such feature does not exist.
But I feel that it can be extended for linux.

Regards

Tatsuro

OK, I understand. Thanks for the explanations. I'll try it...

Re: Octave 4.2 binary + all packages in Linux ?

roland65
Seems I'm not alone in this story...

I've found this : https://github.com/probonopd/AppImages/issues/120

And yes, building a cross distribution binary version seems to be complicated !
12