Octave 5.0 Release

Rik-4
All,

The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.

Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
Rik

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Pantxo
Rik-4 wrote

> All,
>
> The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
> have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
> could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
> out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
> etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.
>
> Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
> Rik

Hi Rik,

I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
professional and personal duties.

I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
front of their computer.

I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.

Pantxo

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

siko1056
On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:38 PM Pantxo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rik-4 wrote
> All,
>
> The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
> have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
> could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
> out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
> etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.
>
> Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
> Rik

Hi Rik,

I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
professional and personal duties.

I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
front of their computer.

I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.

Pantxo

Dear Rik, Pantxo, and all,

My time till Christmas is limited too.  If there is no manpower (low response to your email) to make this happen this month, maybe it was more desirable to wait for the OctConf for it?  This gives us about 3 months to add some pending patches and features until some soon communicated "feature-freeze" end of January.  Anyways, what is the state of the https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2019 ?  Will we meet again at CERN.  Three months is a good time to book flights, hotels, etc.

Best,
Kai

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Carnë Draug
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 13:37, Pantxo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rik-4 wrote
> > All,
> >
> > The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> > year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
> > have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
> > could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
> > out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
> > etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.
> >
> > Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
> > Rik
>
> Hi Rik,
>
> I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
> required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
> professional and personal duties.
>
> I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
> the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
> surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
> know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
> time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
> front of their computer.
>
> I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
> release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.

I think there's been some confusion here.  The plan is not to release
during the holidays.  The plan is to freeze (merge default in stable)
before the Christmas holidays and release during January (~4 weeks
after freeze).

One of the reasons was exactly the lack of time during the holidays.
Changes pushed to @ during the holidays would then not go into the
next release.

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Rik-4
On 12/10/2018 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: Octave 5.0 Release
From:
Carnë Draug [hidden email]
Date:
12/10/2018 07:23 AM
To:
pantxo diribarne [hidden email]
CC:
octave-maintainers [hidden email]
Message:
3

[...]

The second and third items from the Release checklist are

2) File bug reports for all outstanding bugs known, but not reported
  a) Put out a general call for reports on Octave-Maintainers and Octave-Help list

3) Review patch tracker/bug list for any patches submitted that may be included before release

The idea is to collect all the bits of code that have been floating around and have them checked in to Mercurial.  At that point, we do a feature freeze and no new or major changes can be made.  This is very likely to de-stabilize the build for a while and lead to some new bug reports.  But, we have several weeks of testing and resolving anything before an actual release.

I suspect there is also a humorous difference in perspectives here between North America and Europe.  During the holidays, work slows down, so North Americans get to spend more time on their hobbies.  While in Europe, work slows down, and people choose to spend more time with their families.  Same cause, different effect.

--Rik

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

For version 5 and future releases, I would like to avoid pushing too
many last minute changes and would prefer to go ahead with a release in
January rather than delay.  We've delayed in the past and ended up
trying to fix everything.  I think that's because when we announce a
release is coming, everyone chimes in with their favorite bugs and
feature requests and we end up trying to add a lot of new features and
make everything perfect all in a rush.  Making a lot of changes a the
last minute is stressful and time consuming.  We make mistakes.  Then we
delay more because of more bug reports coming in and end up making
releases after 18-24 months instead of ~12.  By making yearly major
releases with bug fixing releases following 2-4 months later, I hope to
make this a smoother and less traumatic process.

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Michael Godfrey

On 12/10/18 8:28 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> By making yearly major releases with bug fixing releases following 2-4
> months later, I hope to make this a smoother and less traumatic process.
>
> jwe
John,

I definitely agree!!!!!

Michael

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Rik-4
On 12/10/2018 12:28 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> For version 5 and future releases, I would like to avoid pushing too many
> last minute changes and would prefer to go ahead with a release in
> January rather than delay.  We've delayed in the past and ended up trying
> to fix everything.  I think that's because when we announce a release is
> coming, everyone chimes in with their favorite bugs and feature requests
> and we end up trying to add a lot of new features and make everything
> perfect all in a rush.  Making a lot of changes a the last minute is
> stressful and time consuming.  We make mistakes.  Then we delay more
> because of more bug reports coming in and end up making releases after
> 18-24 months instead of ~12.  By making yearly major releases with bug
> fixing releases following 2-4 months later, I hope to make this a
> smoother and less traumatic process.

I want less traumatic too, but everyone is going to code right up until we
say "pencils down" and do a code freeze.  I just don't see us changing
human nature.  Rather than trying to limit the scope to small bugs (a
subjective criteria), maybe we should just move the code freeze sooner so
it gives us more time to test and verify things.

--Rik

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

On 12/11/18 6:20 PM, Rik wrote:

> I want less traumatic too, but everyone is going to code right up until we
> say "pencils down" and do a code freeze.  I just don't see us changing
> human nature.  Rather than trying to limit the scope to small bugs (a
> subjective criteria), maybe we should just move the code freeze sooner so
> it gives us more time to test and verify things.

Fair enough.  Are there any critical blocking bugs?  Should be pick a
date to freeze and merge default to stable?  My time will also be very
limited between about December 21 and January 2.

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Rik-4
On 12/12/2018 10:17 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 12/11/18 6:20 PM, Rik wrote:

I want less traumatic too, but everyone is going to code right up until we
say "pencils down" and do a code freeze.  I just don't see us changing
human nature.  Rather than trying to limit the scope to small bugs (a
subjective criteria), maybe we should just move the code freeze sooner so
it gives us more time to test and verify things.

Fair enough.  Are there any critical blocking bugs?  Should be pick a date to freeze and merge default to stable?  My time will also be very limited between about December 21 and January 2.

I kicked the process off.  There is now a 5.0 Release checklist at https://wiki.octave.org/5.0.0_Release_Checklist.

The first four items are:
  1. Update gnulib to latest version
    Must occur first as it could resolve existing, or create new, bug reports
    Completion Date:
  2. File bug reports for all outstanding bugs known, but not reported
    • Put out a general call for reports on Octave-Maintainers and Octave-Help list
    Completion Date:
  3. Review patch tracker/bug list for any patches submitted that may be included before release
    Completion Date:
  4. Identify Bugs which *must* be fixed prior to release
    • Review bugs on tracker for possible inclusion in list
    • Review bugs and update to correct category, such as Patch submitted
    Completion Date:
I always forget how to update gnulib so if you could take care of that it would be great.

We're currently on items 2 and 3.  We still need to decide on a final date for accepting new code.  After that date, we start item #4 which is triaging the bugs to figure out which ones we need to fix.  It's at that point where we would uncover any blockers.

I have promised Juan that I would work on bringing the movfun code into core Octave this weekend.  There is also a bug regarding bias in randi that I want fixed.  I could be ready as soon as Sunday, 12/16 to move to step 4.  But, if we want to give people a bit more notice we could wait a week until Friday, 12/21.

--Rik

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

On 12/13/18 1:40 PM, Rik wrote:

>  1. Update gnulib to latest version
>
>         Must occur first as it could resolve existing, or create new,
>         bug reports
>         Completion Date:

I did this and updated the wiki showing it as complete.

You should run the bootstrap script in your source tree after pulling
the changeset and updating to the new gnulib version.

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Richard Crozier

>  4. Identify Bugs which *must* be fixed prior to release
>       * Review bugs on tracker for possible inclusion in list
>       * Review bugs and update to correct category, such as Patch submitted
>
>         Completion Date:

It would be nice if some of the outstanding classdef and package related
bugs could be fixed for 5.0. These are core language features that have
now been present in Octave for a full release cycle. For example I'm
thinking of:

#53906 Cannot make an object array with square brackets

#53844: handle class: delete destructor method cannot access class
properties

#54800: Class method invocation errors

#53614: classdef properties() function not implemented

#53907 Octave does not pick up new files in +package directories after
initial load

#53900 which does not work for functions in packages (+package directories)

#46849 Shadowing warning on every command for function in +package
directory

#46659 classdef: cannot create handles to functions in +package

#45404 Breakpoints cannot be set in classdef methods or +package
function files

plus others.

However, if I had to pick one, I would go for #46849 Shadowing warning,
which is one which looks very embarrassing when I introduce people to
Octave, and is probably relatively easy to fix.

Regards,

Richard

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

ederag
On samedi 1 décembre 2018 06:10:38 CET Rik wrote:
> The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> year.

For benchmarks,
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9631
might be handy ?

Ederag

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Rik-4
On 12/20/2018 12:05 PM, ederag wrote:
> On samedi 1 décembre 2018 06:10:38 CET Rik wrote:
>> The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
>> year.
> For benchmarks,
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9631
> might be handy ?

Looks handy, I don't know who is managing the benchmark package right now
or whether it is unmaintained.

--Rik