Octave 5.0 Release

Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Octave 5.0 Release

Rik-4
All,

The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.

Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
Rik

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Pantxo
Rik-4 wrote

> All,
>
> The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
> have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
> could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
> out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
> etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.
>
> Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
> Rik

Hi Rik,

I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
professional and personal duties.

I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
front of their computer.

I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.

Pantxo






--
Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

siko1056
On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:38 PM Pantxo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rik-4 wrote
> All,
>
> The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
> have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
> could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
> out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
> etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.
>
> Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
> Rik

Hi Rik,

I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
professional and personal duties.

I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
front of their computer.

I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.

Pantxo


--
Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html


Dear Rik, Pantxo, and all,

My time till Christmas is limited too.  If there is no manpower (low response to your email) to make this happen this month, maybe it was more desirable to wait for the OctConf for it?  This gives us about 3 months to add some pending patches and features until some soon communicated "feature-freeze" end of January.  Anyways, what is the state of the https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2019 ?  Will we meet again at CERN.  Three months is a good time to book flights, hotels, etc.

Best,
Kai
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Carnë Draug
In reply to this post by Pantxo
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 13:37, Pantxo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Rik-4 wrote
> > All,
> >
> > The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> > year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
> > have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
> > could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
> > out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
> > etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.
> >
> > Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
> > Rik
>
> Hi Rik,
>
> I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
> required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
> professional and personal duties.
>
> I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
> the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
> surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
> know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
> time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
> front of their computer.
>
> I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
> release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.
>

I think there's been some confusion here.  The plan is not to release
during the holidays.  The plan is to freeze (merge default in stable)
before the Christmas holidays and release during January (~4 weeks
after freeze).

One of the reasons was exactly the lack of time during the holidays.
Changes pushed to @ during the holidays would then not go into the
next release.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Rik-4
In reply to this post by Rik-4
On 12/10/2018 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Re: Octave 5.0 Release
From:
Carnë Draug [hidden email]
Date:
12/10/2018 07:23 AM
To:
pantxo diribarne [hidden email]
CC:
octave-maintainers [hidden email]
List-Post:
[hidden email]
Precedence:
list
MIME-Version:
1.0
References:
<MTAwMDA0MC5ub21hZA.1543641045@quikprotect> [hidden email]
In-Reply-To:
[hidden email]
Message-ID:
[hidden email]
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Message:
3

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 13:37, Pantxo [hidden email] wrote:
Rik-4 wrote
All,

The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.

Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
Rik
Hi Rik,

I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
professional and personal duties.

I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
front of their computer.

I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.

I think there's been some confusion here.  The plan is not to release
during the holidays.  The plan is to freeze (merge default in stable)
before the Christmas holidays and release during January (~4 weeks
after freeze).

One of the reasons was exactly the lack of time during the holidays.
Changes pushed to @ during the holidays would then not go into the
next release.


The second and third items from the Release checklist are

2) File bug reports for all outstanding bugs known, but not reported
  a) Put out a general call for reports on Octave-Maintainers and Octave-Help list

3) Review patch tracker/bug list for any patches submitted that may be included before release

The idea is to collect all the bits of code that have been floating around and have them checked in to Mercurial.  At that point, we do a feature freeze and no new or major changes can be made.  This is very likely to de-stabilize the build for a while and lead to some new bug reports.  But, we have several weeks of testing and resolving anything before an actual release.

I suspect there is also a humorous difference in perspectives here between North America and Europe.  During the holidays, work slows down, so North Americans get to spend more time on their hobbies.  While in Europe, work slows down, and people choose to spend more time with their families.  Same cause, different effect.

--Rik

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

John W. Eaton
Administrator
For version 5 and future releases, I would like to avoid pushing too
many last minute changes and would prefer to go ahead with a release in
January rather than delay.  We've delayed in the past and ended up
trying to fix everything.  I think that's because when we announce a
release is coming, everyone chimes in with their favorite bugs and
feature requests and we end up trying to add a lot of new features and
make everything perfect all in a rush.  Making a lot of changes a the
last minute is stressful and time consuming.  We make mistakes.  Then we
delay more because of more bug reports coming in and end up making
releases after 18-24 months instead of ~12.  By making yearly major
releases with bug fixing releases following 2-4 months later, I hope to
make this a smoother and less traumatic process.

jwe

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Michael Godfrey


On 12/10/18 8:28 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> By making yearly major releases with bug fixing releases following 2-4
> months later, I hope to make this a smoother and less traumatic process.
>
> jwe
John,

I definitely agree!!!!!

Michael

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

Rik-4
In reply to this post by John W. Eaton
On 12/10/2018 12:28 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> For version 5 and future releases, I would like to avoid pushing too many
> last minute changes and would prefer to go ahead with a release in
> January rather than delay.  We've delayed in the past and ended up trying
> to fix everything.  I think that's because when we announce a release is
> coming, everyone chimes in with their favorite bugs and feature requests
> and we end up trying to add a lot of new features and make everything
> perfect all in a rush.  Making a lot of changes a the last minute is
> stressful and time consuming.  We make mistakes.  Then we delay more
> because of more bug reports coming in and end up making releases after
> 18-24 months instead of ~12.  By making yearly major releases with bug
> fixing releases following 2-4 months later, I hope to make this a
> smoother and less traumatic process.
>

I want less traumatic too, but everyone is going to code right up until we
say "pencils down" and do a code freeze.  I just don't see us changing
human nature.  Rather than trying to limit the scope to small bugs (a
subjective criteria), maybe we should just move the code freeze sooner so
it gives us more time to test and verify things.

--Rik