Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

12

Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Oliver Heimlich
Hello,

this weekend I have published a redesign of our Octave-Forge website.

    https://octave.sourceforge.io/

The important changes are:

 - Responsive layout, which makes the pages readable on small-screen
devices, e. g., smart-phones and tables.

 - A slightly new design which is a crossover of the old design and the
current design for octave.org from 2016, by Alex Krolick. For example,
the main font is the same and the navigation menu is similar on small
screen devices.

 - The website structure has been simplified, smaller pages have been
merged into fewer remaining pages. The content has been edited, but
should still be the same.

 - The package list has been split into community packages and external
packages.

 - Performance improvements regarding the function list for Octave and
all packages. It is also possible to search for functions.

 - Links to contact addresses and information on data privacy from
SourceForge.net, with respect to EU law (General Data Protection
Regulation).

 - Internal improvements, which simplify maintenance of the website.

The function documentation of individual packages still uses the old
design and is not responsive.  There is more work to do, to redesign the
package pages.  My current plan is to have a slow migration, as new
package releases are made.  First, we need new functionality in the
generate_html package to support this plan.

I have tested the new design and hope you like it. Please let me know,
if any changes break your workflow or there are rendering issues on
certain browsers.

Oliver

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

jbect
Le 26/08/2018 à 14:20, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> this weekend I have published a redesign of our Octave-Forge website.
>
>      https://octave.sourceforge.io/
>
> [...snip...]
>
> I have tested the new design and hope you like it. Please let me know,
> if any changes break your workflow or there are rendering issues on
> certain browsers.

Oliver,

It looks great on my laptop (Debian+Firefox) and mobile phone (Android +
Chrome).  Thank you for the excellent work.

A few very personal feelings about this new design :

* I would have liked a few more (+1? +2?) items in the "important
changes" and "package releases" sections of the home page ;

* I found the colors a little to "cold" for my taste ; in comparsion,
Octave's home page has a few bits of orange and yellow here and there
(in the logo and in th sombrero) that make it look warmer in my opinion.

* In the interest of showing how integrated the octave core/forge
communities are, I would I loved to see the two websites share even more
similar designs (same black background in the top menu / same logo / etc.).

@++
Julien

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Mike Miller-4
On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 14:20:28 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
> this weekend I have published a redesign of our Octave-Forge website.

What is the correct rendering of "Octave Forge"? I have seen it written
as "Octave Forge", "Octave-Forge", and "OctaveForge".

Does this redesign serve as affirmation that the "Octave-Forge"
rendering is the preferred form?

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Oliver Heimlich
Hi Mike,

throughout the website there had been different styles of spelling. Now it is Octave-Forge everywhere, but this was no deliberate decision.

Would it be better to spell Octave Forge?

Oliver

Am 26. August 2018 19:54:04 MESZ schrieb Mike Miller <[hidden email]>:

>On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 14:20:28 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
>> this weekend I have published a redesign of our Octave-Forge website.
>
>What is the correct rendering of "Octave Forge"? I have seen it written
>as "Octave Forge", "Octave-Forge", and "OctaveForge".
>
>Does this redesign serve as affirmation that the "Octave-Forge"
>rendering is the preferred form?
>
>Thanks,

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Doug Stewart-4

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 8:20 AM Oliver Heimlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have one sugestion.
The second line is

Extra packages for GNU Octave

I would like this to be a link to

On 26.08.2018 19:35, Julien Bect wrote:

> Le 26/08/2018 à 14:20, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> this weekend I have published a redesign of our Octave-Forge website.
>>
>>      https://octave.sourceforge.io/
>>
>> [...snip...]
>>
>> I have tested the new design and hope you like it. Please let me know,
>> if any changes break your workflow or there are rendering issues on
>> certain browsers.
>
> Oliver,
>
> It looks great on my laptop (Debian+Firefox) and mobile phone (Android +
> Chrome).  Thank you for the excellent work.
>
> A few very personal feelings about this new design :
>
> * I would have liked a few more (+1? +2?) items in the "important
> changes" and "package releases" sections of the home page ;
I have added two more items to the recent changes lists.

> * I found the colors a little to "cold" for my taste ; in comparison,
> Octave's home page has a few bits of orange and yellow here and there
> (in the logo and in th sombrero) that make it look warmer in my opinion.

I have added a little more orange color for the code-snippets. Depending
on your location, it might take up to 24h to deliver the new CSS through
the CDN.

Do you have any ideas for colorful content that could be added to the
home page?

> * In the interest of showing how integrated the octave core/forge
> communities are, I would I loved to see the two websites share even more
> similar designs (same black background in the top menu / same logo / etc.).

Yes, this is an option. For now, I have concentrated on the responsive
part and didn't want to change too much of the old color theme.

With two very similar websites it might become confusing. The visitor
might get lost between the two pages. If we go this way, I guess that we
have to merge the top menus and make the two websites appear as if they
were one: With some pages hosted at gnu.org and some pages hosted at SF.net.

Oliver

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

Looking at the Octave-Forge website I noticed that the description text of individual functions often gets trancated.

yet the problem is widespread. (I assume the code that extract 1st sentence from the help gets tricked by the period in misc abbreviations.)

I could file a bug report but I do not see a proper Category.

Dmitri.

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Oliver Heimlich
Hi Dmitri,

thank you for the observation. Please create a bug report in the category 'Octave Forge Package'. The extraction of the first help sentence happens in the package generate_html.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often. Maybe we can simply scan for common abbreviations to prevent it from happening.

Oliver

Le 27/08/2018 à 00:01, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :
I have added a little more orange color for the code-snippets. Depending
on your location, it might take up to 24h to deliver the new CSS through the CDN.

I can see it.   The extra touch of orange is nice, but I think that currently it makes the text less readable (because of the white background).  I would suggest a darker shade of orange and/or a bolder font (and/or a slightly darker background).

Do you have any ideas for colorful content that could be added to the home page?

Perhaps the sombrero could be in color ?  (But then I'm not sure about the blue background, perhaps black would look nicer ?)

This is certainly more work, but we could have an additional section between "Extra packages for GNU Octave" and "Installation" that shows one or (a few) randomly selected package(s), with its (their) colorful logo(s), and the link "browse the  full list of packages" ?

Anyway, maybe that's just me, please don't change anything if I'm the only one who finds the white & blue look a little cold...

Also, I find that the presentation with bullet points on Octave's page (under "Scientific Programming Language") is catchier than the block of text on Octave-Forge's page.

Perhaps something like (I have removed the verbs) :

* Central location for collaborative development of packages for GNU Octave.

* Expands Octave's core functionality by providing field specific features via Octave's package system.

* Image and signal processing, fuzzy logic, instrument control, and statistics... and more !  (browse the full list of packages).

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Alex Krolick

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 11:48 PM Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Looks good! Great work!

I agree about the colors and breaking up the homepage text  into smaller paragraphs or bullets.

One piece of colorful content you could add is a button linking to the main package list, incorporating the nice stacked cube icon.

Alex Krolick

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 20:20:59 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
> throughout the website there had been different styles of spelling.
> Now it is Octave-Forge everywhere, but this was no deliberate
> decision.

There are also different spellings throughout the Octave source tree
that I would like to see resolved.

> Would it be better to spell Octave Forge?

It's probably a matter of preference, taste, and maybe culture or native
language. I personally prefer "Octave Forge", but I see "Octave-Forge"
used a lot so maybe more people prefer it. I don't claim any authority
over what it should be. I just like consistency :)

On 27.08.2018 11:02, Alex wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 11:48 PM Julien Bect
> wrote:
>
>     Le 27/08/2018 à 00:01, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :
>>     I have added a little more orange color for the code-snippets.
>>     Depending
>>     on your location, it might take up to 24h to deliver the new CSS
>>     through the CDN.
>
>     I can see it.   The extra touch of orange is nice, but I think that
>     currently it makes the text less readable (because of the white
>     background).  I would suggest a darker shade of orange and/or a
>     bolder font (and/or a slightly darker background).
The orange color is darker now.

>>     Do you have any ideas for colorful content that could be added to
>>     the home page?
>
>     Perhaps the sombrero could be in color ?  (But then I'm not sure
>     about the blue background, perhaps black would look nicer ?)
>
>     This is certainly more work, but we could have an additional section
>     between "Extra packages for GNU Octave" and "Installation" that
>     shows one or (a few) randomly selected package(s), with its (their)
>     colorful logo(s), and the link "browse the full list of packages" ?
This would require regular selection of a particular package with a
short presentation of its contents (“package of the month”).  I guess
that a random selection with no more information than is already present
on the package list was barely useful. Is someone willing to prepare
such a package showcase on a regular basis? Or should the package
maintainers prepare a more in-depth package description or quick tutorial?

>     Anyway, maybe that's just me, please don't change anything if I'm
>     the only one who finds the white & blue look a little cold...
>
>     Also, I find that the presentation with bullet points on Octave's
>     page (under "Scientific Programming Language") is catchier than the
>     block of text on Octave-Forge's page.
>
>     Perhaps something like (I have removed the verbs) :
>
>     * Central location for collaborative development of packages for GNU
>     Octave <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/>.
>
>     * Expands Octave's core functionality by providing field specific
>     features via Octave's package system.
>
>     * Image and signal processing, fuzzy logic, instrument control, and
>     statistics... and more !  (browse the full list of packages
>     <https://octave.sourceforge.io/packages.php>).
>

> Looks good! Great work!
>
> I agree about the colors and breaking up the homepage text  into smaller
> paragraphs or bullets.
>
> One piece of colorful content you could add is a button linking to the
> main package list, incorporating the nice stacked cube icon.
The initial paragraph has been broken into bullet points and a colorful
image hopefully makes the welcome page more appealing. I have created an
image with the Octave logo and several scientific symbols around it to
visualize the various field specific packages on Octave Forge.

Le 29/08/2018 à 12:50, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :

> [...snip...]
>
> The orange color is darker now.
>
> [...snip...]
>
> This would require regular selection of a particular package with a
> short presentation of its contents (“package of the month”). I guess
> that a random selection with no more information than is already
> present on the package list was barely useful. Is someone willing to
> prepare such a package showcase on a regular basis? Or should the
> package maintainers prepare a more in-depth package description or
> quick tutorial?
>
> [...snip...]
>
> The initial paragraph has been broken into bullet points and a
> colorful image hopefully makes the welcome page more appealing. I have
> created an image with the Octave logo and several scientific symbols
> around it to visualize the various field specific packages on Octave
> Forge.

Hello Oliver,

You're really doing a great job on the web site these days.

I like what you did with the bullet points and the colorful picture.

Concerning the <code> style, I personnally like it even better with a
little bit of spacing on both sides, and a colored background, like this:

margin-left: 3pt;
margin-right: 3pt;
background-color: #fff7ce80;

Concerning the selection of packages, I was indeed suggesting a *random*
selection of packages, nothing more.

@++

Le 30/08/2018 à 08:17, Julien Bect a écrit :
> I like what you did with the bullet points and the colorful picture.
>
> Concerning the <code> style, I personnally like it even better with a
> little bit of spacing on both sides, and a colored background, like this:
>
> margin-left: 3pt;
> margin-right: 3pt;
> background-color: #fff7ce80;

Oliver,

I asked a few colleagues to give their opinion on the design.  All of
them found it really nice.  Here are some suggestions that you might
consider.

1) One has found the blue color that is used both for the top panel and
for links (#427dbd) a little pale.

2) Another remarked that bold links are nice on pages where there are
only a few links, but not so much when there are many of them (in
particular on the support and documentation pages).

Considering these two points, using a slightly darker shade of blue
(e.g., #2e69a8) with normal fonts for the links looks cool on my screen.

3) One found it weird that, on the documentation page, the text that you
type inside the search box is centered, while the suggestions that
appear below it are left-aligned.

@++

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Carnë Draug
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 13:20, Oliver Heimlich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this weekend I have published a redesign of our Octave-Forge website.
>
>     https://octave.sourceforge.io/
>
> [...]
>
> I have tested the new design and hope you like it. Please let me know,
> if any changes break your workflow or there are rendering issues on
> certain browsers.

The new site looks very nice.  I really like the icon of Octave with
multiple sciences around it.

I have been lately navigating the web with javascript turned off and I
find it kinda sad how much it is used to serve static content.  This
also happens in the Octave Forge site.  At the moment, the header bar,
which is needed for basic navigation of the site, is not displayed
unless javascript is available.  Would be nice if javascript is not
required for essential functionality, specially since the site is
mainly static.

Note that this is not an issue of the new site you've done, this issue
already existed before.  I'm just bringing it up because you're
remaking on it and would be nice if that issue could be sorted at the
same time.

Carnë

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

Oliver Heimlich
Hi Carnë,

yes, it is planned that the website will finally use no JavaScript at all.

Currently it is still used on old, non-responsive content to embed the new header (like before). New content is already 100% free from JS.

Thank you very much for your nice feedback.

Oliver

On 30.08.2018 17:06, Julien Bect wrote:
> 1) One has found the blue color that is used both for the top panel and
> for links (#427dbd) a little pale.
>
> 2) Another remarked that bold links are nice on pages where there are
> only a few links, but not so much when there are many of them (in
> particular on the support and documentation pages).
>
> Considering these two points, using a slightly darker shade of blue
> (e.g., #2e69a8) with normal fonts for the links looks cool on my screen.

Since most links are easily visible because of the icons, I have
implemented this proposal. It is much better, especially on small screens.

> 3) One found it weird that, on the documentation page, the text that you
> type inside the search box is centered, while the suggestions that
> appear below it are left-aligned.

Text input is left-aligned now.

Oliver

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

avlas-2
El dissabte, 1 de setembre de 2018, a les 6:46:26 EDT, Oliver Heimlich va escriure:

  On 30.08.2018 17:06, Julien Bect wrote:
  > 1) One has found the blue color that is used both for the top panel and
  > for links (#427dbd) a little pale.
  >
  > 2) Another remarked that bold links are nice on pages where there are
  > only a few links, but not so much when there are many of them (in
  > particular on the support and documentation pages).
  >
  > Considering these two points, using a slightly darker shade of blue
  > (e.g., #2e69a8) with normal fonts for the links looks cool on my screen.

  Since most links are easily visible because of the icons, I have
  implemented this proposal. It is much better, especially on small screens.

  > 3) One found it weird that, on the documentation page, the text that you
  > type inside the search box is centered, while the suggestions that
  > appear below it are left-aligned.

  Text input is left-aligned now.

  Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Great work on the web. I actually liked the cold colors, but a bit of orange is nice too. In any case, I find the orange color from the rocket icon (#ff8a4b) much nicer than other orange colors all around (hover menu and rss button, I'm looking to you; perhaps it also looks good for the text in orange, but that is more difficult to anticipate). Would you consider to test this out to see if you like it?

Best

a.

Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

siko1056
On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 1:46 PM avlas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Oliver,

Great work on the web. [...]

Best

a.

Dear Oliver,

I can only second everyone's opinion about the new Octave Forge website: It looks great!  Thank you for the effort!

Another small addition for the (never ending? ^^) list of improvements was to use the "soft" links [1] and [2] instead of "hard coded" version number "4.2" for the Octave Doxygen documentation.  The affected location is the "C++ API" link on https://octave.sourceforge.io/docs.php .

This way you throw back the maintenance burden to me or another website maintainer to keep the information up-to-date.  Today I uploaded a fresh Doxygen for "stable" and "dev" (which should have happened after the release ^^), see [3].

Best,
Kai.

P.S.: Regarding your discussion with Carnë. If your layout is finial, maybe we can consider a JS-free version for octave.org as well?

On 01.09.2018 13:45, avlas wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Great work on the web. I actually liked the cold colors, but a bit of orange is nice too. In any case, I find the orange color from the rocket icon (#ff8a4b) much nicer than other orange colors all around (hover menu and rss button, I'm looking to you; perhaps it also looks good for the text in orange, but that is more difficult to anticipate). Would you consider to test this out to see if you like it?
>
> Best

> a.

Avlas,

well spotted. I have experimented with different colors and also find
the rocket's orange better in various cases compared to the former
complementary color of the main blue color. Mainly because it is darker
and therefore better to read on white background.

However, in the hover menu the new orange is not a good match with the
blue color. Therefore, I have changed the hover effect into a dark blue
(similar to octave.org's menu hover effect).

Thank you very much for your nice words and motivation!

Oliver

12