Octave Forge website internally re-structured, checks advisable

Octave Forge website internally re-structured, checks advisable

Olaf Till-2
Hi,

among other internal changes at the Octave Forge website the index
pages of all packages are now generated dynamically. This provides
better control over appearance and links.

The current version of the generate_html package ideally should
produce identical pages, for local checking. But at the website we
don't depend on the generate_html version anymore for the index pages.

Though I've tested the change, I couldn't look into everything in
every package. So it'd be advisable that maintainers take a look at
their packages(') index page(s) to check that everything is there and
the links work.

Note that you'll possibly have to reload the page with your browser,
to avoid using a cached copy (this is a problem with the _previous_
versions of the index pages).

Olaf

Re: Octave Forge website internally re-structured, checks advisable

jbect
Le 16/06/2017 à 17:07, Olaf Till a écrit :

> among other internal changes at the Octave Forge website the index
> pages of all packages are now generated dynamically. This provides
> better control over appearance and links.
>
> The current version of the generate_html package ideally should
> produce identical pages, for local checking. But at the website we
> don't depend on the generate_html version anymore for the index pages.
>
> Though I've tested the change, I couldn't look into everything in
> every package. So it'd be advisable that maintainers take a look at
> their packages(') index page(s) to check that everything is there and
> the links work.
>
> Note that you'll possibly have to reload the page with your browser,
> to avoid using a cached copy (this is a problem with the _previous_
> versions of the index pages).

Hi Olaf,

There are a few problems on https://octave.sourceforge.io/stk/index.html :

  * Some fields from the DESCRIPTION are missing: Last Release Date,
Package Author, Package Maintainer.

  * <b> </b> tags in the description text appear as plain text.  (If
such tags are a problem, I can remove them from future OF releases.)

-----

If I generate the doc directly in octave 4.2.1 with generate_html 0.3.1,

 >> generate_package_html ('stk', [], 'octave-forge')

all the fields are there (there are no <b> tags in this case, but it is
normal, they are added by the MM).

However:

1) the release date is set to the current date (19-Jun-2017), and not
the date in DESCRIPTION (6-May-2017).

2) the "Licence" field now contains "Read licence" instead of "GNU
Public Licence v3".

-----

If I generate using the MM directly :

 > hg update -r 2.4.2
 > make octaveforge-release
 > firefox build/octaveforge/stk-html/stk/index.html &

I also get all the fields almost right.  Remarks:

1) the date is also wrong, but this time it's my fault (the date is set
automatically by the MM to the current date, I will fix that);

2) the "Licence" field is correct in this case.

@++
Julien

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 10:20:31AM +0200, Julien Bect wrote:

> Le 16/06/2017 à 17:07, Olaf Till a écrit :
> >among other internal changes at the Octave Forge website the index
> >pages of all packages are now generated dynamically. This provides
> >better control over appearance and links.
> >
> >The current version of the generate_html package ideally should
> >produce identical pages, for local checking. But at the website we
> >don't depend on the generate_html version anymore for the index pages.
> >
> >Though I've tested the change, I couldn't look into everything in
> >every package. So it'd be advisable that maintainers take a look at
> >their packages(') index page(s) to check that everything is there and
> >the links work.
> >
> >Note that you'll possibly have to reload the page with your browser,
> >to avoid using a cached copy (this is a problem with the _previous_
> >versions of the index pages).
>
> Hi Olaf,
>
> There are a few problems on https://octave.sourceforge.io/stk/index.html :
>
>  * Some fields from the DESCRIPTION are missing: Last Release Date, Package
> Author, Package Maintainer.
Thanks for checking.

I didn't check why the website wasn't able to extract these from
stk/index.html, but provided a description.json file for stk to the
website. Current generate_html will generate such a file, so this will
be fixed also in the future.

>  * <b> </b> tags in the description text appear as plain text.  (If such
> tags are a problem, I can remove them from future OF releases.)

These tags are not present in description.json, it just takes the
first sentence of 'Description:' in INDEX. It is no use trying to put
html tags into this field, the website code puts it out literally.

> -----
>
> If I generate the doc directly in octave 4.2.1 with generate_html 0.3.1,
>
> >> generate_package_html ('stk', [], 'octave-forge')
>
> all the fields are there (there are no <b> tags in this case, but it is
> normal, they are added by the MM).
>
> However:
>
> 1) the release date is set to the current date (19-Jun-2017), and not the
> date in DESCRIPTION (6-May-2017).
I couldn't reproduce this, I got 16-May-2017.

> 2) the "Licence" field now contains "Read licence" instead of "GNU Public
> Licence v3".

You should add a 'License:' field to INDEX. For now, I've added
"GPLv3+" to description.json.

BTW I noticed another website problem while checking this, but that's
off topic here.

Le 19/06/2017 à 17:52, Olaf Till a écrit :
>> There are a few problems on https://octave.sourceforge.io/stk/index.html :
>>
>>   * Some fields from the DESCRIPTION are missing: Last Release Date, Package
>> Author, Package Maintainer.
> Thanks for checking.
>
> I didn't check why the website wasn't able to extract these from
> stk/index.html, but provided a description.json file for stk to the
> website.

Ok, fine.

>>   * <b> </b> tags in the description text appear as plain text.  (If such
>> tags are a problem, I can remove them from future OF releases.)
> These tags are not present in description.json, it just takes the
> first sentence of 'Description:' in INDEX. It is no use trying to put
> html tags into this field, the website code puts it out literally.

Ok, fine.  But you mean DESCRIPTION and not INDEX, right ?

>> 1) the release date is set to the current date (19-Jun-2017), and not the
>> date in DESCRIPTION (6-May-2017).
> I couldn't reproduce this, I got 16-May-2017.

You're right, I just did it again and I get the correct date.  My bad.

>> 2) the "Licence" field now contains "Read licence" instead of "GNU Public Licence v3".
> You should add a 'License:' field to INDEX. For now, I've added "GPLv3+" to description.json.

Ok, I will do that.  I don't remember why I originally did this
"manually"... But again, you mean DESCRIPTION, not INDEX, right ?

@++
Julien