Octave GUI (Win) mark text with keyboard

Octave GUI (Win) mark text with keyboard

Oliver Betz
Hello All,

in the "Command Window" of Octave GUI (4.4.0), how can I mark text with
the keyboard e.g. for later Ctrl-C?

Is it intended that there is no "cut" or overwrite marked text as in
other Windows applications?

I'm desperately missing (Ctrl-) Shift-Cursor to mark text and
cut/copy/overwrite it then.

TIA,

Oliver

Re: Octave GUI (Win) mark text with keyboard

nrjank
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Oliver Betz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

in the "Command Window" of Octave GUI (4.4.0), how can I mark text with
the keyboard e.g. for later Ctrl-C?

Just to verify, you only mean on the current command line text, correct? Since the command line has the keyboard input 'captured', I'm not sure how you'd use the keyboard to mark beyond the input line even if it was enabled.

I do note that for both previous output text and current input text (even before hitting enter) I can mark text with a mouse and either Ctrl-C or 'right click/copy to clipboard' works fine as I would expect.  I'm not sure if keyboard highlighting (shift-cursor, ctrl-shift cursor) is a standard feature in the terminal being used 'under the hood' for the gui, and if there would be a way to enable it.

Is it intended that there is no "cut" or overwrite marked text as in
other Windows applications?

just checking: if you highlight text on the input line and past it inserts the pasted text at the cursor rather than overwrite the selected text.

Can anyone verify if this is consistent with behavior on non-Windows versions?

Re: Octave GUI (Win) mark text with keyboard

nrjank
(keeping the mailing list in the loop)

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Oliver Betz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

>     in the "Command Window" of Octave GUI (4.4.0), how can I mark text with
>     the keyboard e.g. for later Ctrl-C?
>
> Just to verify, you only mean on the current command line text, correct?

correct.

> Since the command line has the keyboard input 'captured', I'm not sure

sorry, I don't understand.

> how you'd use the keyboard to mark beyond the input line even if it was
> enabled.

I don't want to go beyond the input line.

> I do note that for both previous output text and current input text
> (even before hitting enter) I can mark text with a mouse and either
> Ctrl-C or 'right click/copy to clipboard' works fine as I would expect.

correct, but switching from the keyboard to the mouse is anno^W inefficient.

> I'm not sure if keyboard highlighting (shift-cursor, ctrl-shift cursor)
> is a standard feature in the terminal being used 'under the hood' for
> the gui, and if there would be a way to enable it.

doesn't seem to behave like usual Windows text edit fields.

Not overly surprising since the Windows version is cross-compiled from Linux.

>     Is it intended that there is no "cut" or overwrite marked text as in
>     other Windows applications?
>
> just checking: if you highlight text on the input line and past it
> inserts the pasted text at the cursor rather than overwrite the selected
> text.

it pastes at the cursor position, which is not the position where I
marked a piece of text.

That's what I usually expect from a terminal window. I just tried and it is the same behavior that the Windows Command Line produces. pasting text always appears at the cursor. There is also no 'cut' function

I can't set the cursor with the mouse, IOW marking portions with the
mouse is independent from cursor movement.

Again, same behavior as the windows command line.  I'm not familiar how much variability there is with different CLI tools and terminals. It may be that there are alternate behaviors that Octave could emulate if it's within the ability of the underlying terminal used by Octave.

I don't want to complain about the current implementation - it's not
worse than command line editing on the terminal. But a GUI command
window conforming to standard Windows behaviour would be a nice improvement.

Since Octave is not primarily developed or built on Windows, there have been several mentions of a need for more Windows developers to help with things such as that. If you are aware of other programs exhibiting the terminal behavior you describe, I'm sure we could look at it and see what is feasible.

Nick J.

Re: Octave GUI (Win) mark text with keyboard

tmacchant
>On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Oliver Betz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>Hello All,
>>
>>in the "Command Window" of Octave GUI (4.4.0), how can I mark text with
>>the keyboard e.g. for later Ctrl-C?
>>
>>Just to verify, you only mean on the current command line text, correct? Since the command line has the keyboard input 'captured', I'm not sure how you'd use the keyboard to mark beyond the input line even if it was enabled.
>
>I do note that for both previous output text and current input text (even before hitting enter) I can mark text with a mouse and either Ctrl-C or 'right click/copy to clipboard' works fine as I would expect.  I'm not sure if keyboard highlighting (shift-cursor, ctrl-shift cursor) is a standard feature in the terminal being used 'under the hood' for the gui, and if there would be a way to enable it.
>

>Is it intended that there is no "cut" or overwrite marked text as in
>>other Windows applications?
>>

>just checking: if you highlight text on the input line and past it inserts the pasted text at the cursor rather than overwrite the selected text.
>

>Can anyone verify if this is consistent with behavior on non-Windows versions?

Ya! The situation is the same on linux (4.4.0 built on Ubuntu 16.04).

Tasturo

Re: Octave GUI (Win) mark text with keyboard

tmacchant
>On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Oliver Betz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>>
>>>     in the "Command Window" of Octave GUI (4.4.0), how can I mark text with
>>>     the keyboard e.g. for later Ctrl-C?
>>>
>>> Just to verify, you only mean on the current command line text, correct?
>>
>>correct.
>>
>>> Since the command line has the keyboard input 'captured', I'm not sure
>>
>>sorry, I don't understand.
>>
>>> how you'd use the keyboard to mark beyond the input line even if it was
>>> enabled.
>>
>>I don't want to go beyond the input line.
>>
>>> I do note that for both previous output text and current input text
>>> (even before hitting enter) I can mark text with a mouse and either
>>> Ctrl-C or 'right click/copy to clipboard' works fine as I would expect.
>>
>>correct, but switching from the keyboard to the mouse is anno^W inefficient.
>>
>>> I'm not sure if keyboard highlighting (shift-cursor, ctrl-shift cursor)
>>> is a standard feature in the terminal being used 'under the hood' for
>>> the gui, and if there would be a way to enable it.
>>
>>doesn't seem to behave like usual Windows text edit fields.
>>

>Not overly surprising since the Windows version is cross-compiled from Linux.
>

>>     Is it intended that there is no "cut" or overwrite marked text as in
>>>     other Windows applications?
>>>
>>> just checking: if you highlight text on the input line and past it
>>> inserts the pasted text at the cursor rather than overwrite the selected
>>> text.
>>
>>it pastes at the cursor position, which is not the position where I
>>marked a piece of text.
>>

>That's what I usually expect from a terminal window. I just tried and it is the same behavior that the Windows Command Line produces. pasting text always appears at the cursor. There is also no 'cut' function
>

>>I can't set the cursor with the mouse, IOW marking portions with the
>>mouse is independent from cursor movement.
>>

>Again, same behavior as the windows command line.  I'm not familiar how much variability there is with different CLI tools and terminals. It may be that there are alternate behaviors that Octave could emulate if it's within the ability of the underlying terminal used by Octave.
>

>I don't want to complain about the current implementation - it's not
>>worse than command line editing on the terminal. But a GUI command
>>window conforming to standard Windows behaviour would be a nice improvement.
>

>Since Octave is not primarily developed or built on Windows, there have been several mentions of a need for more Windows developers to help with things such as that. If you are aware of other programs exhibiting the terminal behavior you describe, I'm sure we could look at it and see what is feasible.
>

>Nick J.

It is not relevant whether windows or not.
On the shell screen on Python IDLE, the behavior is almost the same.

Perhaps you compared the editor screen not shell or terminal screen.
There are entirely different things and it is natural that the behaviors are different.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave GUI (Win) mark text with keyboard

tmacchant

> can I mark text with

> correct?
>>>
>>> correct.

> I'm not sure
>>>
>>> sorry, I don't understand.

> if it was
>>>
>>> I don't want to go beyond the input line.

> would expect.
>>>
>>> correct, but switching from the keyboard to the mouse is anno^W
> inefficient.

> cursor)
> hood' for
>>>
>>> doesn't seem to behave like usual Windows text edit fields.
>>>

>> Not overly surprising since the Windows version is cross-compiled from
> Linux.
>>

>>>      Is it intended that there is no "cut" or overwrite marked
> text as in

> selected
>>>
>>> it pastes at the cursor position, which is not the position where I
>>> marked a piece of text.
>>>

>> That's what I usually expect from a terminal window. I just tried and it
> is the same behavior that the Windows Command Line produces. pasting text always
> appears at the cursor. There is also no 'cut' function
>>

>>> I can't set the cursor with the mouse, IOW marking portions with the
>>> mouse is independent from cursor movement.
>>>

>> Again, same behavior as the windows command line.  I'm not familiar how
> much variability there is with different CLI tools and terminals. It may be that
> there are alternate behaviors that Octave could emulate if it's within the
> ability of the underlying terminal used by Octave.
>>

>> I don't want to complain about the current implementation - it's not
>>> worse than command line editing on the terminal. But a GUI command
>>> window conforming to standard Windows behaviour would be a nice
> improvement.
>>

>> Since Octave is not primarily developed or built on Windows, there have been
> several mentions of a need for more Windows developers to help with things such
> as that. If you are aware of other programs exhibiting the terminal behavior you
> describe, I'm sure we could look at it and see what is feasible.
>>

>> Nick J.
>
> It is not relevant whether windows or not.
> On the shell screen on Python IDLE, the behavior is almost the same.
>
> Perhaps you compared the editor screen not shell or terminal screen.
> There are entirely different things and it is natural that the behaviors are
> different.
>
> Tatsuro

Ooos

I have made a mistake.
Python IDLE behaves as you wrote.

However, python shell on cmd (windows command line) behaves as Nicholas said.

It depends on the environments.
On octave behaviors are documented
  https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Command-Line-Editing.html#Command-Line-Editing

The command line behavior of octave in control by GNU Readline.

Tatsuro