Octave GUI for RedHat

Moore, Rob
Hello,
I have RedHat 6.1 and have installed octave through their package manager.  Unfortunately, the latest version of Octave via this route is version 3.4.3, which does not include the GUI.  Is it possible to update Octave through RedHat to include the GUI or will I need to recompile everything from scratch on my system?

Thanks,
Robert

R. G. Moore
Assistant Director,
Stanford Institute for Materials and Energy Sciences

SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory and
Stanford University
Office: 650-926-4539
Cell: 408-457-4674
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Octave GUI for RedHat

chechu
Good evening Rob, as Orion suggested few days ago on other thread, maybe makes sense to You to also look at the Fedora Project 4.4 version.

If so, please, take a look on:

Kind regards.

El jue., 7 feb. 2019 a las 14:45, Moore, Rob (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hello,
I have RedHat 6.1 and have installed octave through their package manager.  Unfortunately, the latest version of Octave via this route is version 3.4.3, which does not include the GUI.  Is it possible to update Octave through RedHat to include the GUI or will I need to recompile everything from scratch on my system?

Thanks,
Robert

R. G. Moore
Assistant Director,
Stanford Institute for Materials and Energy Sciences

SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory and
Stanford University
Office: 650-926-4539
Cell: 408-457-4674
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Octave GUI for RedHat

Richard Crozier
On 06/02/2019 23:49, Moore, Rob wrote:
> Hello,
> I have RedHat 6.1 and have installed octave through their package manager.  Unfortunately, the latest version of Octave via this route is version 3.4.3, which does not include the GUI.  Is it possible to update Octave through RedHat to include the GUI or will I need to recompile everything from scratch on my system?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

If you can install Flatpac you can install Octave using this which might
be easier in the long run. It has limitation though.

Richard

RE: Octave GUI for RedHat

Moore, Rob

Hello Chechu,

I do not know the thread to which you are referring.  I sent an email based on a link on the Octave website.

Thanks,

Rob

RE: Octave GUI for RedHat

Moore, Rob
Hey Richard,
I am not able to install Flatpac from the RH package manager.  I will have to see if I can download and compile it directly, but it may be just as easy to do the same with the Octave source files.

Thanks,
Rob

> I have RedHat 6.1 and have installed octave through their package manager.  Unfortunately, the latest version of Octave via this route is version 3.4.3, which does not include the GUI.  Is it possible to update Octave through RedHat to include the GUI or will I need to recompile everything from scratch on my system?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

If you can install Flatpac you can install Octave using this which might
be easier in the long run. It has limitation though.

Richard

Re: Octave GUI for RedHat

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:47 AM Moore, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Richard,
I am not able to install Flatpac from the RH package manager.  I will have to see if I can download and compile it directly, but it may be just as easy to do the same with the Octave source files.

It will not be easy to compile a recent Octave version on RH6xx.
This distribution is just too old. So you would need to get a newer
version of some of the development tools like gcc.

Thanks,
Rob

Dmitri.

RE: Octave GUI for RedHat

Moore, Rob

I am at a US DOE National Lab and this is the only version of RH available to me.  Are there issues installing older version of Octave on this RH version?  I understand that the GUI was introduced in Octave 3.8 but I currently have version 3.4, installed through the Red Hat package manager.  Does anyone know what versions of Octave work on RH6xx without issues?  Updating gcc is easy enough, but I suspect there are other dependencies that make it difficult with RH6xx.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Octave GUI for RedHat

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 18:37:15 +0000, Moore, Rob wrote:
> I am at a US DOE National Lab and this is the only version of RH
> available to me.  Are there issues installing older version of Octave
> on this RH version?  I understand that the GUI was introduced in
> Octave 3.8 but I currently have version 3.4, installed through the Red
> Hat package manager.  Does anyone know what versions of Octave work on
> RH6xx without issues?  Updating gcc is easy enough, but I suspect
> there are other dependencies that make it difficult with RH6xx.

Hi Rob, I can sympathize, I am very familiar with those kinds of
constraints.

I think that Octave 4.4 was the first version to strictly require C++11,
meaning GCC 4.8 or newer. It's pretty easy to install a newer version of
GCC on RHEL 6 and use that to build Octave. Or you can try Octave 4.2.2.

Since you specifically want Octave's GUI, the problem with newer
versions of Octave may increasingly become a dependency on newer verions
of Qt than are provided by RHEL 6. I know that Octave 5 needs Qt 4.8 or
newer, I can't remember what versions of Qt are supported by older
versions.

Re: Octave GUI for RedHat

Nir Krakauer-3
If your system has GCC 4.4 or newer, you can install a recent version of Octave using Linuxbrew: https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems#Linuxbrew