Octave Roadmap

himpe
Dear Octave Developers,

I would like to ask if there are (rough) plans for a release of Octave
4.4, especially if it will be released in time to be part of
the next LTS Ubuntu 18.04?

Thank you for the great work

Christian

--
Christian Himpe
Computational Methods in Systems and Control Theory
Germany

Re: Octave Roadmap

On 12/21/2017 12:28 PM, Christian Himpe wrote:

> I would like to ask if there are (rough) plans for a release of Octave
> 4.4, especially if it will be released in time to be part of
> the next LTS Ubuntu 18.04?

When is that?

Re: Octave Roadmap

himpe
The .04 version is typically released around April, but a freeze of the repository is probably a little earlier.

Best

Christian

On 12/21/2017 12:28 PM, Christian Himpe wrote:

> I would like to ask if there are (rough) plans for a release of Octave
> 4.4, especially if it will be released in time to be part of
> the next LTS Ubuntu 18.04?

When is that?

Re: Octave Roadmap

On 12/21/2017 12:46 PM, Christian Himpe wrote:
> The .04 version is typically released around April, but a freeze of the
> repository is probably a little earlier.

I suppose it's possible, but it seems unlikely to me.  I'll post
separately about what I'm hoping to see in the next release.

It seems unfortunate to me that there is not some better mechanism for
updates of non-critical (in the sense that they aren't core operating
system components) applications.

Re: Octave Roadmap

Mike Miller-4
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 14:04:01 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I suppose it's possible, but it seems unlikely to me.  I'll post separately
> about what I'm hoping to see in the next release.

Yeah, that seems very unlikely to me as well.

> It seems unfortunate to me that there is not some better mechanism for
> updates of non-critical (in the sense that they aren't core operating system
> components) applications.

The PPA that I maintain is supposed to help with that. Flatpak apps, or
Ubuntu's own Snap apps, are intended to allow for individual
applications to be updated on a LTS distribution.

With Octave 4.4 we will definitely have a Flatpak application available,
and someone might package it for Snap as well. Both of those should be
viable solutions for Ubuntu 18.04 users.

Re: Octave Roadmap

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
> The PPA that I maintain is supposed to help with that. Flatpak apps, or
> Ubuntu's own Snap apps, are intended to allow for individual
> applications to be updated on a LTS distribution.

No idea what flatpak and snap apps are!