Octave and Signal Processig functions

pkohvaei
Hi everyone,

I want to use some signal processing functions like butter and filter , I have an octave 3.6.1 source on windows . What else should I download or install?

Best,

Re: Octave and Signal Processig functions

Thomas Ilnseher-3

Hi,

Signal processing functions are in the octave-forge signal package:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/signal/index.html

pkohvaei
Thanks, it appears that I have to install about 6 packaegs as dependencies before that :)

Re: Octave and Signal Processig functions

pkohvaei
Well, I installed signal and I basically need the "butter" function. But still not there.
I tried some other functions from the package and they work. Any idea what is going wrong?

Re: Octave and Signal Processig functions

Sergei Steshenko

> Well, I installed signal and I basically need the "butter" function.
> But
> still not there.
> I tried some other functions from the package and they work. Any idea what
> is going wrong?

Are you sure the package is really installed ?

This is what I have:

"
octave:1> help butter
`butter' is a function from the file /mnt/sdb8/sergei/AFSWD_debug/20120424/octave-3.6.2/share/octave/packages/signal-1.2.0/butter.m

 Generate a butterworth filter.
 Default is a discrete space (Z) filter.

 [b,a] = butter(n, Wc)
    low pass filter with cutoff pi*Wc radians

 [b,a] = butter(n, Wc, 'high')
    high pass filter with cutoff pi*Wc radians

 [b,a] = butter(n, [Wl, Wh])
    band pass filter with edges pi*Wl and pi*Wh radians

 [b,a] = butter(n, [Wl, Wh], 'stop')
    band reject filter with edges pi*Wl and pi*Wh radians

 [z,p,g] = butter(...)
    return filter as zero-pole-gain rather than coefficients of the
    numerator and denominator polynomials.

 [...] = butter(...,'s')
     return a Laplace space filter, W can be larger than 1.

 [a,b,c,d] = butter(...)
  return  state-space matrices

 Proakis & Manolakis (1992). Digital Signal Processing. New York:
 Macmillan Publishing Company.

Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
available in the on-line version of the manual.  Use the command
`doc <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the [hidden email]
mailing list.
"

- pay attention to

`butter' is a function from the file
/mnt/sdb8/sergei/AFSWD_debug/20120424/octave-3.6.2/share/octave/packages/signal-1.2.0/butter.m

Regards,
  Sergei.

octave:2>

Re: Octave and Signal Processig functions

Carnë Draug-2
On 23 November 2012 14:02, pkohvaei <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, I installed signal and I basically need the "butter" function. But
> still not there.
> I tried some other functions from the package and they work. Any idea what
> is going wrong?

That's very strange. Did you load the package? You mention other
functions from the package work fine so you must have it loaded. Are
you sure? What other functions of the package did you try? "pkg list"
will show the packages you have installed if it's loaded there should
be an asterisk in front of the package name. Then run "pkg load
signal" and then "pkg list" again. The asterisk should appear. Try
"whereis butter" which should return a path now.

Carnë

Re: Octave and Signal Processig functions

pkohvaei
Yes! I loaded the package and now it is working. Thanks a lot for your help..