Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

randomvibe
Raspberry-Pi (or just R-Pi) is a very cheap single board computer ($25 USD) with general purpose inputs & outputs for embedded system purposes like Ardunio.  The maker provides Linux distributions (Debian and Arch Linux ARM distributions) with a Python compiler.  Question... has the Octave community tried installing Octave on the R-Pi?  Or for the Beaglebone system?  I believe Octave (like Matlab) is the ultimate scientific/engineering programming language, especially for matrix operations and embedded systems.  Arduino is the most popular microcontroller at the moment, but requires C programming.

Someone in the R-Pi community claims to have installed Octave, but no details given (see thread below).  Help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24687

Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

Rafael Laboissière
* randomvibe <[hidden email]> [2013-01-03 18:09]:

> Raspberry-Pi (or just R-Pi) is a very cheap single board computer ($25 USD)
> with general purpose inputs & outputs for embedded system purposes like
> Ardunio.  The maker provides Linux distributions (Debian and Arch Linux ARM
> distributions) with a Python compiler.  Question... has the Octave community
> tried installing Octave on the R-Pi?  Or for the Beaglebone system?  I
> believe Octave (like Matlab) is the ultimate scientific/engineering
> programming language, especially for matrix operations and embedded systems.
> Arduino is the most popular microcontroller at the moment, but requires C
> programming.
>
> Someone in the R-Pi community claims to have installed Octave, but no
> details given (see thread below).  Help would be much appreciated.  Thank
> you.
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24687

It seems that Octave 3.6.2 and all the Octave-Forge packages maintained
in Debian are also part of the Raspbian wheezy distribution.  See:

     http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/dists/wheezy/main/binary-armhf/Packages

I have never used Raspberry-Pi, but installing Octave & friends in
Raspbian should be as simple as:

     aptitude install octave

Rafael

Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

edmund ronald
What would be really welcome would be iPad, iPhone and Android versions IMHO.
We may not like the Apple attitude, but the devices are really useful,
as they are instant-on and zero-maintenance.

Edmund

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Rafael Laboissiere
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> * randomvibe <[hidden email]> [2013-01-03 18:09]:
>

>> Raspberry-Pi (or just R-Pi) is a very cheap single board computer ($25
>> USD) with general purpose inputs & outputs for embedded system purposes like
>> Ardunio.  The maker provides Linux distributions (Debian and Arch Linux ARM
>> distributions) with a Python compiler.  Question... has the Octave community
>> tried installing Octave on the R-Pi?  Or for the Beaglebone system?  I
>> believe Octave (like Matlab) is the ultimate scientific/engineering
>> programming language, especially for matrix operations and embedded systems.
>> Arduino is the most popular microcontroller at the moment, but requires C
>> programming.
>>
>> Someone in the R-Pi community claims to have installed Octave, but no
>> details given (see thread below).  Help would be much appreciated.  Thank
>> you.
>>
>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24687
>

> It seems that Octave 3.6.2 and all the Octave-Forge packages maintained in
> Debian are also part of the Raspbian wheezy distribution.  See:
>

> http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/dists/wheezy/main/binary-armhf/Packages
>
> I have never used Raspberry-Pi, but installing Octave & friends in Raspbian
> should be as simple as:
>
>     aptitude install octave
>
> Rafael

Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 4 January 2013 09:35, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What would be really welcome would be iPad, iPhone and Android versions IMHO.

Corbin Champion <[hidden email]> is attempting to get Octave on
Android. If you want to help him, you should contact him.

> We may not like the Apple attitude, but the devices are really useful,
> as they are instant-on and zero-maintenance.

The legal issues with locked-down iThings pose a lot of problems for
free software, so it's not just a matter of not liking their attitude,
but that their attitude actually forbids GPLv3 software. They don't
want you to run free software, because they want to make sure they can
control what software you can install on them, so it's plain illegal
to get Octave on iThings under some jurisdictions.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

edmund ronald
It is not "illegal" because there is no criminal law against it, just
a license between you and Apple or Apple and the user.

In other words, Apple cannot go to the police and complain if someone
is running Octave on a jailbroken iPad, just as they cannot make
jailbreaking disappear by running to the FBI and having the people who
make jailbreaking tools and the users of independenlty programmed
software put in prison.

If they could they would already have done so.

So I would suggest you release a build package for Octave for iPad,
just as on the Mac, and let people who want to compile it or put it up
on the jailbroken store, Cydia.

And please stop warning people that things are illegal", because the
whole point of democracy is that we have freedom rather than fear.

Edmund

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 January 2013 09:35, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What would be really welcome would be iPad, iPhone and Android versions IMHO.
>
> Corbin Champion <[hidden email]> is attempting to get Octave on
> Android. If you want to help him, you should contact him.
>
>> We may not like the Apple attitude, but the devices are really useful,
>> as they are instant-on and zero-maintenance.
>
> The legal issues with locked-down iThings pose a lot of problems for
> free software, so it's not just a matter of not liking their attitude,
> but that their attitude actually forbids GPLv3 software. They don't
> want you to run free software, because they want to make sure they can
> control what software you can install on them, so it's plain illegal
> to get Octave on iThings under some jurisdictions.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

edmund ronald
BTW,

 RMS and co are not doing anyone a favor by hyping the practical
effect of Apple's hate of free software.
 Apple *has* been taking some extreme measures to keep free software
off *its own* Appstore, but that does not mean it can keep the
end-users from compiling or installing the software.
Edmund

On 4 January 2013 10:20, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is not "illegal" because there is no criminal law against it, just
> a license between you and Apple or Apple and the user.

No, it is quite illegal in some jurisdictions:

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/25/3556740/copyright-dmca-jailbreak-unlock-mod-ruling

The ruling is that it's legal for phones, but not for tablets. Whether
they enforce it or not, does not affect the fact there are laws
against it in some jurisdictions.

> If they could they would already have done so.

There are tons of laws of this sort that are routinely broken but only
enforced when deemed convenient. The Mathworks does this too, allowing
students to violate Matlab's license until they go to work in
companies were copyright lawsuits are profitable.

> So I would suggest you release a build package for Octave for iPad,
> just as on the Mac, and let people who want to compile it or put it up
> on the jailbroken store, Cydia.

Your suggestion is noted, but I have no interest in following it. I
have no obligation to make sure that Octave is easy to install on
devices that do not respect user freedoms.

> And please stop warning people that things are illegal", because the
> whole point of democracy is that we have freedom rather than fear.

This seems like a non-sequitur.

- Jordi G. H.

On 4 January 2013 10:26, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Apple *has* been taking some extreme measures to keep free software
> off *its own* Appstore, but that does not mean it can keep the
> end-users from compiling or installing the software.

Apple certainly tries to forbid users from compiling and installing
software, which is precisely what jailing a device is about.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

edmund ronald
There is a recurring problem here in Paris with rich people from third
world countries who bring servants from their homes and lock them up
in their Paris houses. Strangely enough that does not mean that local
law in France prevents these servants from running away.

Edmund

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 4 January 2013 10:26, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Apple *has* been taking some extreme measures to keep free software
>> off *its own* Appstore, but that does not mean it can keep the
>> end-users from compiling or installing the software.
>
> Apple certainly tries to forbid users from compiling and installing
> software, which is precisely what jailing a device is about.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

Andreas Weber-5
Am 04.01.2013 03:09, schrieb randomvibe:
> Question... has the Octave community
> tried installing Octave on the R-Pi?

Hi randomvibe,
if you use Raspbian you can install octave and the octave-forge packages
with apt-get or atitude

See http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/o/

octave/
octave-audio/
octave-benchmark/
octave-communications/
octave-control/
octave-data-smoothing/

Regards, Andy

Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

Philip Nienhuis
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
On 4 January 2013 09:35, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What would be really welcome would be iPad, iPhone and Android versions IMHO.

Corbin Champion <[hidden email]> is attempting to get Octave on
Android. If you want to help him, you should contact him.
I have it installed on my Samsung tablet (Android) and it works beautifully  - as far as can on tablets, as the floating virtual keyboard is always somewhere in the way over the terminal (which can only be run full-screen).

Corbin updated Octave several times the last days, so it is actively developed.

Philip