Octave for Slacko Puppy 6.3.2

P V

Octave for Slacko Puppy 6.3.2

P V
Hi,
I am currently learning Octave. The machine that I have access to has a Slacko Puppy OS. I was unable to find any Octave installers for this version of Linux. Do you have a link to one that I can install on my computer? I'd appreciate if you can share a link.

Paul Varghese

Re: Octave for Slacko Puppy 6.3.2

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 12:55:55 -0500, P V wrote:
> I am currently learning Octave. The machine that I have access to has a
> Slacko Puppy OS. I was unable to find any Octave installers for this
> version of Linux. Do you have a link to one that I can install on my
> computer? I'd appreciate if you can share a link.

I am not sure whether Slacko Puppy Linux is based on Slackware or
Ubuntu, I have found conflicting information suggesting it may be based
on either.

If it is based on Ubuntu, you can try installing Octave from the
official Ubuntu repositories or from the stable backport repository that
I maintain at https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/ubuntu/stable.

If it is based on Slackware, you can try installing with the SlackBuild
at http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/academic/octave/.

P V

Re: Octave for Slacko Puppy 6.3.2

P V
Thanks Mike for the quick response. I believe Slacko Puppy is based on Slackware (I could be wrong). I followed the second link and downloaded the slackbuild. I am running into trouble as it is throwing and error about missing dir or file. I haven't done this before.

Thanks

On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 14:29:05 -0500, P V wrote:
> Thanks Mike for the quick response. I believe Slacko Puppy is based on
> Slackware (I could be wrong). I followed the second link and downloaded the
> slackbuild. I am running into trouble as it is throwing and error about
> missing dir or file. I haven't done this before.

If it's based on Slackware, then as far as I can tell that's the right
way to go, although I've never used Slackware.

If this doesn't work and you feel out of your depth trying to figure out
how to install Octave from source, you might want to consider another
GNU/Linux distribution. It's the purpose of the distribution to supply
all of the software that you need in an easy-to-use package manager.

Good luck,