Quantcast

Octave for WIndows 10?

Jeff Layton
Good morning,

The last I looked, Octave was not supported on 64-bit Windows 10. Has
that changed? If so, what version(s)?

TIA!

Jeff

Re: Octave for WIndows 10?

andy buckle

On 4 May 2017 at 16:01, Jeff Layton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good morning,

The last I looked, Octave was not supported on 64-bit Windows 10. Has that changed? If so, what version(s)?

TIA!

Jeff

Octave works fine on 64 bit Windows 10.

There are versions compiled with and without 64 bit features.

--
/* andy buckle */

RE: Octave for WIndows 10?

John Guin

It looks like there are official installers for x64 Windows here:

https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

FWIW, I have been running on x64 Win10 since ~4.0 with no problems unique to Win10.

John

On 4 May 2017 at 16:01, Jeff Layton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning,

The last I looked, Octave was not supported on 64-bit Windows 10. Has that changed? If so, what version(s)?

TIA!

Jeff

Octave works fine on 64 bit Windows 10.

There are versions compiled with and without 64 bit features.

--

/* andy buckle */

Since 4.0 a few people have reported issues running on different Windows versions (mainly 8.0, 8.1, and 10). Most of these related to display and compatibility modes. For example see the following conversations, but also note that a quick search didn't pop up newer than a year ago:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Does-Octave-4-GUI-work-on-Windows-10-td4677507.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31882510/cannot-use-octave-4-0-0-graphics-toolkit-functions-under-windows-10
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37676952/gnu-octave-4-gui-not-working-properly-with-windows-10

My guess is that if it is 'not officially supported' (curious if you saw this stated somewhere 'officially') it's mainly because the primary developers are not working from Windows systems and the people packaging the Windows version haven't been able to fully vet the program on that platform.