Octave for Windows - OpenBLAS and Portable Mode

Octave for Windows - OpenBLAS and Portable Mode

Royi Avital
Hello,

I downloaded the official Octave 4.2 for Windows.
I used the ZIP Package (Not the installer).

I have 2 questions:
  1. Does Octave Windows in general and the ZIP version specifically use OpenBLAS for BLAS and LAPACK?
    When I use `version -blas` I don't get any information.
  2. How can I make it fully portable?
    Namely make Octave keep all the UI settings in the folder it was unzipped into instead the User Folder.

Thank You.

Royi Avital
No Brain     No Pain

Re: Octave for Windows - OpenBLAS and Portable Mode

tmacchant
>I downloaded the official Octave 4.2 for Windows.
>I used the ZIP Package (Not the installer).
>

>I have 2 questions:
>    1. Does Octave Windows in general and the ZIP version specifically use OpenBLAS for BLAS and LAPACK?
>When I use `version -blas` I don't get any information.
>    2. How can I make it fully portable?
>Namely make Octave keep all the UI settings in the folder it was unzipped into instead the User Folder.

I can answer for only 1.
For 1,
In bin folder, there are libblas.dll, libopenblas.dll, and librefblas.dll.
1. Rename libblas.dll to other name.

2. Copy libopenblas.dll and paste it in bin folder and then rename it as libblas.dll.

If you want use reference blas, do the above for librefblas.dll.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave for Windows - OpenBLAS and Portable Mode

Royi Avital
Hi Tatsuro,

Thank you, it seems to work (I think it should be on the FAQ pages or Wiki).

Any idea about where I can configure the path for tall settings folders?

Thank You.

Royi Avital
No Brain     No Pain

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:10 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I downloaded the official Octave 4.2 for Windows.
>I used the ZIP Package (Not the installer).
>

>I have 2 questions:
>    1. Does Octave Windows in general and the ZIP version specifically use OpenBLAS for BLAS and LAPACK?
>When I use `version -blas` I don't get any information.
>    2. How can I make it fully portable?

>Namely make Octave keep all the UI settings in the folder it was unzipped into instead the User Folder.

I can answer for only 1.
For 1,
In bin folder, there are libblas.dll, libopenblas.dll, and librefblas.dll.
1. Rename libblas.dll to other name.

2. Copy libopenblas.dll and paste it in bin folder and then rename it as libblas.dll.

If you want use reference blas, do the above for librefblas.dll.

Tatsuro

Re: Octave for Windows - OpenBLAS and Portable Mode

Royi Avital
Hello,

Any chance for collaboration with PortableApps to create a Portable version of Octave?

It will increase exposure of Octave.

By the way, how come OpenBLAS isn't the default of Octave?

Thank You.