Quantcast

Octave installation Windows 7

Stampfli Marx

I installed Octave 3.6.2 visual studio ion windows7 visual studio is installed . Everything works fine but print

I get the following message

warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
Some output formats are not available.
warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
Some output formats are not available.
warning: print.m: pstoedit binary is not available.
Some output formats are not available.

What can I do?

Thank you

Sfm1

Re: Octave installation Windows 7

andy buckle
On 18 September 2012 13:22, Stampfli Marx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed Octave 3.6.2 visual studio ion windows7 visual studio is
> installed . Everything works fine but print
>
> I get the following message
>
> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.
> warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.
> warning: print.m: pstoedit binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.

The absence of these things may limit output formats for making image
files out of plots. If this is not a problem, then rest easy.

--
/* andy buckle */

Re: Octave installation Windows 7

sfm1
Thank you
But I intend to make image files out of my plots

Marx stampfli

Re: Octave installation Windows 7

Michael Goffioul
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM, sfm1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you
But I intend to make image files out of my plots

Basic formats like png or eps should work fine. Other formats that require conversion based on the missing tools won't be available. These tools will be added in the next binary version of octave for Windows/VS2012.

Michael.

Re: Octave installation Windows 7

Philip Nienhuis
Stampfli Marx wrote
I installed Octave 3.6.2 visual studio ion windows7 visual studio is installed . Everything works fine but print
I get the following message
warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
Some output formats are not available.
warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
Some output formats are not available.
warning: print.m: pstoedit binary is not available.
Some output formats are not available.
What can I do?
These files / directories can be found e.g., here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.4.3%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20Installer/

(in file  Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2_20111025.7z   unpack with 7-zip)

epstool should be in the /bin subdirectory, add subdirs /fig2dev and /pstoedit to the PATH.
(you can do that in /share/octave/3.6.2/m/startup/octaverc, by doing something like

setenv ("PATH", [ getenv("PATH")  pathsep  "/full/path/to/Octave-3.6.2/fig2dev"  pathsep  "/full/path/to/Octave-3.6.2/pstoedit" ]);

(watch out for line wrap, no space between getenv and ("PATH") )
(Note: forward slashes also work in Octave on Windows; backslashes might have to be doubled to avoid errors)

Philip

Re: Octave installation Windows 7

sfm1
Thank you Philip
I did all you proposed. The files and directories copied in the correct path, setting the path in octaverc. / replaced by \\, no directory with a blank in its name. All these pathes are visual in octaves, tested with getenv("PATH"). The fiels are found.
No warning messages appear now. but there is no *.png file.
Do I really have to install ghostscript as Michael proposed? Or is the graphic end qt wrong?

Marx

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:01 AM, sfm1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Philip
I did all you proposed. The files and directories copied in the correct
path, setting the path in octaverc. / replaced by \\, no directory with a
blank in its name. All these pathes are visual in octaves, tested with
getenv("PATH"). The fiels are found.
No warning messages appear now. but there is no *.png file.
Do I really have to install ghostscript as Michael proposed? Or is the
graphic end qt wrong?

I think you really need ghostscript. The other utilities that you installed are needed for more exotic file formats.

Michael.

AW: Octave installation Windows 7

Stampfli Marx
I installed ghostscript and I set the path in octavert
setenv ("PATH", [ getenv("PATH")  pathsep  "C:\\Program Files\\gs\\gs9.06\\bin"]).
strsplit (getenv ("PATH"), ";") shows that the path is set correctly.
But my print('figTest.png','-dpng') still does not create the *.png file.
My good old octave 3.03 creates very good *.png files, even better than 3.2.4.
I know 3.6.x supports quaternions, which I'd like to simulate android smartphones in octave
What can I do?

Marx

Re: Octave installation Windows 7

sfm1
Indeed in EXEC_PATH the path to ghostscript is not visible.
How and where (octavert ?) do I have to change the EXEC_PATH so that the new path is addes and the existing pathes are not deleted?

Marx

RE: Octave installation Windows 7

Stampfli Marx

PATH and EXEC_PATH contains now "C:\\Program Files\\gs\\gs9.06\\bin", both contain the directories to fig2dev and pstoedit abut still no *.png file when my print('figTest.png','-dpng')

Marx

Re: AW: Octave installation Windows 7

Philip Nienhuis
Stampfli Marx wrote
I installed ghostscript and I set the path in octavert
setenv ("PATH", [ getenv("PATH")  pathsep  "C:\\Program Files\\gs\\gs9.06\\bin"]).
strsplit (getenv ("PATH"), ";") shows that the path is set correctly.
But my print('figTest.png','-dpng') still does not create the *.png file.
My good old octave 3.03 creates very good *.png files, even better than 3.2.4.
I know 3.6.x supports quaternions, which I'd like to simulate android smartphones in octave
What can I do?
Well, first of all, stop top posting.
Please answer below the mail so the thread can be tracked by latecomers.
Read on.....

Marx

________________________________
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:01 AM, sfm1 <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Thank you Philip
I did all you proposed. The files and directories copied in the correct
path, setting the path in octaverc. / replaced by \\, no directory with a
blank in its name. All these pathes are visual in octaves, tested with
getenv("PATH"). The fiels are found.
No warning messages appear now. but there is no *.png file.
Do I really have to install ghostscript as Michael proposed? Or is the
graphic end qt wrong?

I think you really need ghostscript. The other utilities that you installed are needed for more exotic file formats.

Michael.

In the ghostscript ./bin directory, copy gswin32c.exe to gs.exe.

Actually this bug has been reported before in the bug tracker (earlier this year, around spring IIRC), but I can't find it right now.
It might have been fixed, I don't know.
But indeed this is a creepy one.

Philip

Re: AW: Octave installation Windows 7

sfm1
Still no success *.png is not creauted

I get the following message from debugger

octave-3.6.2.exe:3> fplot("[cos(x),sin(x)]",[0,2*pi]);
octave-3.6.2.exe:4> print -debug figtest3.png
Ghostscript command: 'C:\Program\gs\gs9.06\bin/gs.exe -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
-dSAFER -sDEVICE=png16m -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r150x150 -dEPSC
rop -sOutputFile=figtest3.png -'
fltk-pipeline: 'C:\Program\gs\gs9.06\bin/gs.exe -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFE
R -sDEVICE=png16m -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r150x150 -dEPSCrop -s
OutputFile=figtest3.png

Is there a problem with slash / backslash \ in the gs directory?
Setting "C:\\Program Files\\gs\\gs9.06\\bin\\" has no nimpact on the debug message.

Marx

Re: Octave installation Windows 7

bpabbott
Administrator

On Sep 21, 2012, at 5:20 AM, sfm1 wrote:

> Still no success *.png is not creauted
>
> I get the following message from debugger
>
> octave-3.6.2.exe:3> fplot("[cos(x),sin(x)]",[0,2*pi]);
> octave-3.6.2.exe:4> print -debug figtest3.png
> Ghostscript command: 'C:\Program\gs\gs9.06\bin/gs.exe -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE
> -dBATCH
> -dSAFER -sDEVICE=png16m -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r150x150
> -dEPSC
> rop -sOutputFile=figtest3.png -'
> fltk-pipeline: 'C:\Program\gs\gs9.06\bin/gs.exe -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
> -dSAFE
> R -sDEVICE=png16m -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -r150x150
> -dEPSCrop -s
> OutputFile=figtest3.png
>
> Is there a problem with slash / backslash \ in the gs directory?
> Setting "C:\\Program Files\\gs\\gs9.06\\bin\\" has no nimpact on the debug
> message.
>
> Marx

If the double back-slash worries you, they may be avoided by using single-quotes.

I'm using the GPL version of Ghostscript.  To allow Octave to find it, its location must be placed in the command shell's path.  So, on my system the following is needed.

        gs_path = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GPLGS\';
        setenv ("path", strcat (getenv ("path"), pathsep (), gs_path);

This results in the warnings ...

        warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
        Some output formats are not available.
        warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
        Some output formats are not available.
        warning: print.m: pstoedit binary is not available.
        Some output formats are not available.

On your system the following should work ...

        gs_path = 'C:\Program\gs\gs9.06\bin\';
        setenv ("path", strcat (getenv ("path"), pathsep (), gs_path);

To resolve the warnings each of those utilities need to be installed and their locations also added to the command shell's path.

Adding a snippet like below to your ~/.octaverc file will set the command shell path for you each time you run octave.

        cmd_path = getenv ("path");
        gs_path = 'C:\Program\gs\gs9.06\bin\';
        if (isempty (strfind (cmd_path, gs_path)))
                setenv ('path', strcat (cmd_path, pathsep (), gs_path));
        endif

Ben