Octave /tmp files

Ted.Harding
Hi Folks,

I have been doing a big job with octave with gnuplot as the graphics
engine (spectra etc of over 500 time series) as a batch job.

Whenever octave plots somethiing, it creates a file /tmp/oct-[something],
and this may be quite large. It seems that octave does not delete these
files until octave exits.

In this job, these /tmp files were building up to over 50MB unless the job
was paused from time to time for them to be deleted extraneously.

Granted the most recent file could be needed for "replot": but even "clg"
does not delete any of them.

I think it is desirable that some garbage collection should be available
for these files. Previous ones don't seem to be of the slightest use once
a new plot has been started.

Ted.                                    ([hidden email])

Re: Octave /tmp files

niles-3

>Whenever octave plots something, it creates a file /tmp/oct-[something],
>and this may be quite large.

>I think it is desirable that some garbage collection should be available
>for these files. Previous ones don't seem to be of the slightest use once
>a new plot has been started.

>From Octave's help -i

`purge_tmp_files'
     Delete the temporary files created by the plotting commands.

     Octave creates temporary data files for `gnuplot' and then sends
     commands to `gnuplot' through a pipe.  Octave will delete the
     temporary files on exit, but if you are doing a lot of plotting
     you may want to clean up in the middle of a session.

     A future version of Octave will eliminate the need to use temporary
     files to hold the plot data.

---------------------

Also, the environmental variable TMPDIR is the location where the tmp
files will be placed.  Try setting it to a hard drive partition that
has more space than the one with /tmp.

        Hope this helps,
        Rick Niles.

Re: Octave /tmp files

Vinayak Dutt

Hi Ted:

One solution to this (which I use as we have very small disk space for /tmp)
is to use environment variable TMPDIR to specify alternate tmp directory.
 I use that to point to a dir in a large partion and thus avoid problems with
running out of space for gnuplot plotting.

The new gnuplot (v 3.6) supports data through input stream and thus
John Eaton can fix this problem for next Octave release.

-Vinayak-

#Hi Folks,
#
[...]

My thanks to Rick Niles and Vinayak Dutt for useful suggestions about
dealing with the accumulation of octave temporary files during big
plotting sessions.

To Rick in particular for pointing out the command "purge_tmp_files"
which, I'm afraid, I had simply overlooked.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.                                    ([hidden email])